What's wrong with my 288xp.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeoffM

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Two days ago I was blocking up a Pine tree and the saw was running really well. Then all of a sudden it started to misfire and pop in the muffler. stopped it at once, checked it over and started it again.As soon as I opened the throttle it started again and wouldn't run at more than 8000 revs. When I try to lean out the high side it gets to 8000 revs and then misfires. Also the plug looks slightly wet. Anybody got any ideas?
geoff.
:cheers:

Howdy,
Most of the ignition issues with a 288 will be the small wire between the module and the switch, or the module and the coil. If there's a bare wire, the saw will run fine one day when it's dry. Then when you have moisture the next day, it'll act up.
Regards
Gregg

Howdy,
Most of the ignition issues with a 288 will be the small wire between the module and the switch, or the module and the coil. If there's a bare wire, the saw will run fine one day when it's dry. Then when you have moisture the next day, it'll act up.
Regards
Gregg

Gregg I will try that. The coil was replaced when I rebuilt the saw,but I did not take much notice of the wires to the coil and kill switch.
geoff.

check the wire that goes over the carb to the secondary coil. I had the EXACT SAME problem with my 181se. the wire was not on , it was sitting beside and when the saw was running the vibrations would make the wire jump away from the contact and spit sputter , backfire and would not rev. check it out

As Grandedog said check your wires real close. Also check your coil mounting.Make sure it hasn't come loose.Make sure where it mounts that it's clean and your getting a good ground.

Sheared flywheel key can do the same thing. Let us know what you find.

Governed carb?? Lots of those saws had a circuit that would dump extra fuel into the carb to limit the WOT rpm. The springs get weak and the saw won't rev. They are limited to ~10K rpms, but as the spring fails the revs fall...

Governed carb?? Lots of those saws had a circuit that would dump extra fuel into the carb to limit the WOT rpm. The springs get weak and the saw won't rev. They are limited to ~10K rpms, but as the spring fails the revs fall...

I agree with nmurph. It sounds like the governor circuit in the carb bit the dust and is letting fuel in constantly.

Disabling the governor circuit is pretty easy. There is a brass threaded plug just in front of the choke shaft on the choke linkage side of the carb. Back that out with a well fitting flat head as they can be pretty stubborn. Then make an aluminum disk out of a pop can to put underneath it, on top of the brass sealing ring and reinstall.

Thanks for all the input, I will check out all suggestions tomorrow and hopefully find the cause.
geoff.

It is probably the spark plug. I have a HomeLite Super 2 that had that problem with it. I started it up and it ran excellent cutting limbs and such with it then I shut it off and it started right back up again no problem and I continued doing what I was doing and then it started to skip and bog and miss fire and the ceramic piece of the spark plug was seperating from the spark plug it self making it loose spark. Put a new NGK plug in it and threw that Champion plug in the garbage!

First of all thanks for all the fast replies and suggestions. I took a good look at the saw this morning and after removing the coil wire and stripping back the insulation found that the cable connection was not 100%. So after fitting a new connector and reassembly the beast is back to life and will be back in the woods on Friday.
geoff.

Back