What's wrong with this picture?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, that looks like my fleet of saws, but i had a bad experience with my brand new 200T. On the first branch i was cutting, the drum separated from the sprocket on the inside and of course wouldn't move the chain. So after paying $600 bucks for the thing - i took it to the local Stihl dealer and they said they'd never seen that before! Then, they didn't have the correct 6 tooth sprocket in stock so they put a 7 tooth on there and said that should work. Is that a raw deal or am i just anal? How much difference will i see out of a 7 tooth rather than a 6 tooth?:chainsaw:

I use to run husky`s on the ground but the electronic ignition modules kept going bad, had the shop put em in & still the same thing!!! at over $80.00 a pop that gets expensive!! got rid of the husky`s & Now its an all stihl line up!!

only thing on the stihls in the on/off/choke switches go bad & I have to choke em to shut em off, fairly easy to fix, I think its when my guys get the bar pinched & pull back on em!! other than that not a problem..........watch now all my ignition modules will burn out!!!

LXT............

Am I experiencing buyer's remorse?

Totally bogus MS TreeMonkey. I dread that I have similar experiences. Slvrmple72: it doesn't look like the safety chain I've seen before, with the big protrusions on some of the links, but after some research, I've discovered that the green label indicates safety chain. I'm hoping my Oregon non-safety 14" chains will fit the Stihl. They fit on my 14" bar for the 338xpt. Will do Old Dirty. Correction: Welcome tomtrees58. My bad.

I can tell you this. I ran crews in northern arizona clear cutting juniper for A.Z.G.F. for 3 years .Usually 8 man crew. each saw ran approximately 7-8 hours a day 4 days a week . The husky 360's and 372's would seize ( or other expensive repair jobs putting them out of commision) after about 9 months of use. LOTS of field maintenance .
While Stihl 440's would run a solid 13 months same amount of hours put on. For a ground saw I was convinced.
Also would have to clean carbs weekly on the huskys , and had huge issue with worm gears on oilers. While the Stihls carbs only needed a normal monthly cleaning, and only oddball issues not the same constant problems. Mainly depending on the sawyer.

So i vote Stihl... :rock:

That's actually a 180 from my expierience.

looks like my lineup.

I've been a Husky guy for a quarter century. And would have "never" bought a Stihl if I hadn't joined this site 2 or 3 years ago. It seems every discussion on "the best tree saw", "best top handle saw", "most powerful..." pointed to the MS200T, so I broke down today and bought one. I only started it once, and it feels powerful. Who knows when I'll be up another tree in this cold, slushy, Michigan weather, but I must admit I'm itching to try it out. :chainsaw:

husky is the saw to own,except when it comes the the tophandle saws.i haven't tried the new 338 yet but i really don't see the point.Stihl finally has a winner!let's hope they don't screw it up past the fuel and oil caps.

make sure you take the screen out of the muffler and richen the high side on the carb about a 1/4 to 1/2 a turn.makes a BIG difference.also,check your air filter often and most of all,BE CAREFULL WITH THAT THING!

Green link on chain.

Will do Hornett22. OldDirty: my MS200t manual says the chain with a green label, is safety, or was it low kickback, same thing, right? My chain has 1 green link (label?) but those big protrusions on the chain like the homeowner type are not present. It doesn't look like a safety chain. The Stihl dealer said it was actually quite aggressive. By the way, he recently had his whole display of Stihl chainsaws and blowers ripped off. Poor fellow. When I arrived at the shop, he was having an alarm installed. That still doesn't help, the thieves just smash and dash before the cops arrived, as happened to my Husky dealer.

Amsoil-sabre 2 stroke oil

You need to give Amsoil 2 stroke oil a try,cooler saws looonger lasting sparkplugs,no smoke,advertised as 100 to 1.i have been running at about 60 to 1 on all my saws .clued in at a hot saw competition in MICHIGANS UPPER PENINSULA.Try it and you will be a believer.

i don't care what the manual says.

Will do Hornett22. OldDirty: my MS200t manual says the chain with a green label, is safety, or was it low kickback, same thing, right? My chain has 1 green link (label?) but those big protrusions on the chain like the homeowner type are not present. It doesn't look like a safety chain. The Stihl dealer said it was actually quite aggressive. By the way, he recently had his whole display of Stihl chainsaws and blowers ripped off. Poor fellow. When I arrived at the shop, he was having an alarm installed. That still doesn't help, the thieves just smash and dash before the cops arrived, as happened to my Husky dealer.

the green chain seems to want to kick back alot more than the yellow.i changed it right away.

I haven't run a 338Xp but it was time to replace the wore out 335's I had and I headed to the dealer and looked at the 338XP and the MS200T.Although the 338 had a better air filter than the 335 I still didn't like it up there by the bar and I bought the Stihl.It has been an awesome little saw!

Hey, that looks like my fleet of saws, but i had a bad experience with my brand new 200T. On the first branch i was cutting, the drum separated from the sprocket on the inside and of course wouldn't move the chain. So after paying $600 bucks for the thing - i took it to the local Stihl dealer and they said they'd never seen that before! Then, they didn't have the correct 6 tooth sprocket in stock so they put a 7 tooth on there and said that should work. Is that a raw deal or am i just anal? How much difference will i see out of a 7 tooth rather than a 6 tooth?:chainsaw:

i'd have them order the right sprocket, and replace it....

6 tooth = 6 teeth per revolution,, VS 7 tooth.. at 1000 rpm,, your turning 7000 teeth per minute, VS 6000... whats top end rpm 10,000 - 15,000 ?????

like shifting gears on a ten speed bike ,, your gaining speed ,, but losing power to climb hills... IE: pulling the chain thru biger wood.... it's about a 15% increase in chain speed....how much power loss i don't know,,but i guess it would be noticeable cutting larger wood...and make the saw work harder.,,

bar might wear out faster due to incresaed chain speed... JMHO

the good thing about echos is......................

they are cheap enough to throw out of the tree for entertainment.

i've never bothered to start one or even put gas in one for that matter.

Latest posts

Back