What's wrong with this saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve2910

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have an echo 520 that runs & cuts fine UNTIL... I try to undercut w/ it. As soon as I put the top of the bar into wood (at any angle), it has no power--- sounds/feels like the muffler screen is clogged or the choke is on. I have owned other 510/520 echos before & never had this problem. I bought it off of ebay, so I don't have much history on it. This was a "runs & drives" saw when I bought it, but I buy a lot of "parts/repair" OPE, which I rebuild & sell as a hobby--- ( I may not be the sharpest mechanic ever, but I'm not clueless either). Any help is appreciated. Suggestions that I should throw it away & buy a Stihl or husky will not be considered helpful

Any help is appreciated. Suggestions that I should throw it away & buy a Stihl or husky will not be considered helpful[/QUOTE]
Sorry, but that was the first thought to come to mind.:hmm3grin2orange: Really I just had to go there. BTW Welcome to A S. Is it possibly a damaged bar causing the chain to bind on the topside? A little unlikely I know, but it may be worth checking the groove, & or flipping the bar just to help eliminate the simpler stuff first. AC

Any help is appreciated. Suggestions that I should throw it away & buy a Stihl or husky will not be considered helpful

Sorry, but that was the first thought to come to mind.:hmm3grin2orange: Really I just had to go there. BTW Welcome to A S. Is it possibly a damaged bar causing the chain to bind on the topside? A little unlikely I know, but it may be worth checking the groove, & or flipping the bar just to help eliminate the simpler stuff first. AC[/QUOTE]

+1:agree2:

Thanx AC, I'll ck the bar, but like you said... unlikely. On the other hand, I've always had "that luck". After exhausting every idea on a mechanical prob, & talking to every sharp mechanic I know, I'll eventually stumble on the problem. When I call my friends back to tell them 'problem solved' & thanx for the ideas, I hear the same thing---- "huh, never saw that before". If it's gonna happen one in a thousand, it'll happen to me. I must've been a real SOB in a previous life

I hadn't thought of the air leak possibility, as I'm not real familiar with the echo saws, but depending on how the saws anti vibe is designed it's possible the up pressure on the undercut is moving the breather assy. & pulling on the boot somehow. Something else to check. Let us know what you do find. A C

Great thought, makes a lot of sense if you know how the saw is put together. I'll pull the top cover off this week & ck it out. Thanx for the idea

I have a couple of those 520's and like them because theyre light weight with good chain speed. The first thing you need to do is pull the caps on the adjuster screws with a drywall screw and give that engine some fuel. Ditch the muffler screen until you get the problem sorted.

Welcome to AS!! Echo makes good saws just most people on AS are biased against them.

I've had echo trimmers, blowers, etc. since I started landscaping 20 yrs ago. Always had good luck w/ the brand. When I started to cut/sell/burn wood, echo was the natural choice. I bought my first new saw, a stihl, in 1997. It always took about 20 pulls to start & never really ran "right". I sold it a few years ago & never looked back. I can buy echo saws all day long on ebay for a few bucks. Most have "problems" that are a simple fix or non-existent. Parts saws are also available by the dozen. New parts are cheap & readily available. I guess it comes down to what you like & what you use your equipt. for. In this area, there is no good help. The stuff gets abused, I'll keep building echos out of my junkyard & ebay finds. When the guys destroy it, it's a throw-away

I think Ramrod is on the right track. Loose AV could also cause a fuel or impulse line to get pinched, or an ignition wire to get grounded out.

I have a couple of those 520's and like them because theyre light weight with good chain speed. The first thing you need to do is pull the caps on the adjuster screws with a drywall screw and give that engine some fuel. Ditch the muffler screen until you get the problem sorted.
Caps were gone when I got it. Been mostly using the $30 510 that I got a month after the 520

simple

I have an echo 520 that runs & cuts fine UNTIL... I try to undercut w/ it. As soon as I put the top of the bar into wood (at any angle), it has no power--- sounds/feels like the muffler screen is clogged or the choke is on. I have owned other 510/520 echos before & never had this problem. I bought it off of ebay, so I don't have much history on it. This was a "runs & drives" saw when I bought it, but I buy a lot of "parts/repair" OPE, which I rebuild & sell as a hobby--- ( I may not be the sharpest mechanic ever, but I'm not clueless either). Any help is appreciated. Suggestions that I should throw it away & buy a Stihl or husky will not be considered helpful

fourth word,first sentence.Starts with an E.

As predicted, it was something stupid that nobody would've guessed. Got it fixed. Thanx to all who took the time to post a suggestion

Back