What's your favorite B&C for the 346xp?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigblackdodge

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey Everyone, I have a 346xp ne that I need a bar and chain for. I believe I will be happy going with a 16" on this saw, since I have a 20" on the 372xp. Just wanted to get everyones opinions on what you all run. Thanks for your time and opinions.

I am on the hunt for a 16" .325 setup for mine. I farked up a couple days ago, found a NOS Windsor Speedtip on the cheap, and stupid me did not pounce on it. Whoever got it on Ebay, got it cheap. No one but myself to blame on that one.
I want to keep things the same as my 550XP, (16" .058), that combo seems to balance nice on both saws. I am done with Carlton .325 though... LPX from here on out.

Big Thanks to all of ya! I'm only 5'7" 170lbs. and looking to buy a 24" set up to go with my 20" for the 372xp. So I figured I would go with a 16" .325 .050 on the 346xp. I really can't believe that there is no one who makes a 16" .325 .063 for this little saw!!!! I've got a couple of NOS Stihl 26RS72 I would love to use up on this saw. I'm gonna have to break em and add 2 links to use em on the MS290 wearing her 18" I guess. Was looking to sell that one and maybe my 038 eventually though.
For those of you who are running 3/8 on this 346 in stock trim, does it pull ok? I would like to keep just one chain supply, but I'm guessing that .325 will do a better job of keeping the revs right in the cut. Just my opinion though. Haven't even ran this thing yet. I'm Jonesin!!!!!!

For those of you who are running 3/8 on this 346 in stock trim, does it pull ok? I would like to keep just one chain supply, but I'm guessing that .325 will do a better job of keeping the revs right in the cut. Just my opinion though. Haven't even ran this thing yet. I'm Jonesin!!!!!!

3/8" is OK on a stock NE346xp, just slightly slower and less smooth at the start of the cut (73LP vs. 21LP is what I compared) - usually no big deal, but quite notisable when limbing.

3/8" is OK on a stock NE346xp, just slightly slower and less smooth in the cut (73LP vs. 21LP) - no big deal though.

Thanks Niko. I would be using Semi Chisel as most of my wood is Hardwood, usually standing dead or already down. I run Full Chisel on the 372xp and I feel like I spend a good bit more time resharpening than I did before using Full Chisel. At times I envy the guys up North and in colder climates who heat with all softwood (easy, faster cutting, much easier splitting, lighter wood to haul, carry and stack) but then I think of how much heat, and for how long, I get from my couple of 2 or so cords of hickory and oak, and I'm good. :rock::chop:

325 is sooooo much smoother on small branches than 3/8, and in a big cut there is very little between them. As it's usually my smallest saw it does all the little work, so 325 works for me.

I really like the 16" husqvarna branded laminated bars. They aren't the longest lasting, but they are cheap and light. If they don't get bent I seem to be able to put about 25' of chain across them before they are thrown away. I figure a 50cc saw is meant to be light, so a longer 3/8 bar and chain makes no sense to me.

As to which chain..... I'm still looking for a great 325 chain.
If Oregon made a lgx in 325 it would be job done, but I haven't had great results with lpx. Others have, so maybe it's just me. Sawtroll keeps plugging it so maybe it's time to try again.

Currently Carlton full chisel hits the speed/durability/price I like. Like all chain - just double check lengths and angles before you run it. I file it at 30 and 5, and prefer it to specified angles (35 and 0), and other variations I have tried. At 30 and 5 I just touch the tie straps - but I'm comfortable with that. Others may not be.
I'm not super impressed with the qa on any brand of chain, but I think Carlton is the worst.

Around here stihl chain costs a fortune and I can't justify the cost. Semi chisel is maybe worth it, but certainly not in full chisel (for me). It seems like the increased life of stihl chain is more evident in 3/8 than 325. I really like 3/8 rm.

Back