What's your favorite bar oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TSC is my fav. Can't beat it for $7 on sale right now. That's the cheapest oil I can find, and I would run motor oil if it was cheapest. Way better prices on even husky brand bar oil at the Tractor Supply Co.

by the way, 2-cycle oil seems to be about $2.99 anywhere. it went up 50 cents in the past 6 months at my local hardware store.

I use Chain Pro Bar & Chain Oil, made by PolyGuard.
Works good summer or winter and sells for $6.99 regular price at Menards and other home improvement/fleet/box stores.
I usually buy it on sale for $5.99, $4.99, and I've even found it for $3.99 (but that's been a while).

They've changed their jug and label...

OLD JUG/LABEL
attachment.php

NEW JUG/LABEL
attachment.php

I have had some of that stuff in the first jug... I was very unpleased. The bottom of the jug had about 1 1/2 inches of what I would call mud in it. It stinks and seems to come out in chunks when you get towards the bottom. I and my dad have seen this several times. I like cheap but not junk.

I have used poulan, wal-mart/super-tech, and Stihl. Bailey's had a free shipping deal and I decied to order a case of the woodland pro Motion lotion which was four gallons. It is the very best I have tried and although they don't do free shipping on it anymore it is well worth the shipping price to me. At one time I thought they were bout all the same, but it will be motion lotion for me from now on.

Motion lotion huh, are you sure you bought it only for your saw....lol :msp_tongue:

I have used Stihl and Husky in the past..but they're bot Waay expensive now.

I bought a couple jugs of "Super Tech" (made my Exxon) at Wal-mart this spring for $5.97 a jug.

Seems to work very well..!! - However they have gone up on price to $7.97 a jug..

Maybe they'll have it on sale in the fall like TSC does...much closer to me than TSC..!!

$3.60 a gallon gas in a truck that gets 10 mpg..is really a concern for me..!!

(and beer ain't gettin' no cheaper either..!!).. LOL..!!
:cheers:
J2F

How would you rate Stihl vs Huskys' viscosities especially in cold weather?

TSC is hard to beat for the price. Someone on here a month or so ago posted a nifty report comparing many of the b&c oils. TSC was the top pick.

I do think in this heat (100* or more) that it is a bit light. But I have seen no indications of it being an issue so it must be doing its job!

I have had some of that stuff in the first jug... I was very unpleased. The bottom of the jug had about 1 1/2 inches of what I would call mud in it. It stinks and seems to come out in chunks when you get towards the bottom. I and my dad have seen this several times. I like cheap but not junk.

Just so you know I have not had any issues with the "black sludge" at the bottom of the ChainPro jug. I have used many many jugs of it milling and it works as good if not better than any of the other non-OEM branded oils, sludge and all.

It works better than the TSC oil on the 30" mill, no need for a tip drip. The TSC oil does need the tip drip in the hardwoods.

Don't know what the sludge is but it is slippery, sticky and stinky, and was $2.00 a gallon cheaper than the TSC oil. Maybe be quite a bit of difference between batchs but so far have not run any other $6.00 a gallon bar oil that is even close to the Chain Pro.

I usually use the TSC oil and it works great. Just enough stick and plenty of slick for $8.00 a gallon.

Editted to fix the prices. TSC oil was $8.00 a gallon and the ChainPro was $6.00. Currently if the TSC oil is not on sale it is $9.00 a gallon, on sale it has been $7.00. Looks like the ChainPro is currently around $8.00 a gallon, sludge and all.

Last edited:
i just got back from TSC with 2 gallons at 7.00 per,, to me it is just as tacky as the master mechanic bar oil i have been using,, now if it flows as good i will be happy since even at the regular price it is 1/2 the price of the master mechanic

TSC is my fav. Can't beat it for $7 on sale right now. That's the cheapest oil I can find, and I would run motor oil if it was cheapest. Way better prices on even husky brand bar oil at the Tractor Supply Co.

by the way, 2-cycle oil seems to be about $2.99 anywhere. it went up 50 cents in the past 6 months at my local hardware store.
Just bought some this afternoon for $7. Excellent bar oil at a great price!! Also got some Startron on sale for $5.99.

I just received a flyer in the mail today.tractor supply has bar oil on sale for $6 a gallon august 15th-19th.

check your local store.

Thanks for the heads up. That's what I usually use so I'll pick up a few gallons when I'm I am town tomorrow.

I have been using Alco for the last few years, and love it. No problems, and does fine in the winter (it is a tad thinner than Stihl). A saw friend of mine left shop and is on his own now. He has been carrying Co-Op b/c oil of some kind. He has good luck with it, and has received good feedback from everyone else that has given it a try... so I picked up 4 gallons of it. Havent been into it yet, but looks to be good stuff.

I like pro select from lowes for around 11 bucks but i get poulan pro for around 7 bucks most of the time. I really like pro select the most, but don't like paying for it when i can get something for less.

I run poulan it seems to work well year round. I usually get it from Orschlens for $8 a gallon. However it was on sale for like $6.50 this week so I bought all they had!

Ditto-

Ohhhh ok...right, I've heard of people that put used motor oil in their saw but I wouldn't. I just use whatever tractor supply has or menards (it's too thin?)

I foolishly used old motor oil in my 038 stihl when it was new. It has never oiled properly ever since. You don't save oil you damage the saw.

John

Try shaking the s%#t out of the jug. LOL That way the KU KU is mixed throughout. We have this stuff round our area called Pitt Penn. I think its recycled motor oil with something added. It stinks and has a funk at the bottom of the jug. They usually have it at the independant auto parts stores. Its not cheap, and I wouldn't like it even if it was cheap.

Try shaking the s%#t out of the jug. LOL That way the KU KU is mixed throughout. We have this stuff round our area called Pitt Penn. I think its recycled motor oil with something added. It stinks and has a funk at the bottom of the jug. They usually have it at the independant auto parts stores. Its not cheap, and I wouldn't like it even if it was cheap.

Paraffin wax, maybe. If your old enough to remember Penzoil from the 60's, you know what im talking about.

The Husqvarna oil is VERY runny in the heat of summer.

Yup. I actually usually run Stihl in the summer & will sometimes thin it out with Husky.

Im probably stupid for spending more than i absolutely need to on oil, but I dont use it daily so I dont mind the extra expense for what I think is a superior product. Ive only really compared it to the Canadian tire & walmart brands up here but I think the Husky & Stihl products are both considerably better.

Back