What's your favorite bar oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
good idea, but beefie had other plans of his own- he cut the top off the drum and dunks the saw so it can fill :hmm3grin2orange:

Why not it keeps everthing from rusting. Also keeps people from borroewing the saws keeping them all oiled up like that.

Beefie

I am still working on some used hyTran fluid from a Farmall 826 transmission. I got 25 gallons from it and have been using it for about 2 or 3 years now. Not dirty like motor oil and has no smell when you run it. Yes, it is missing the tackifiers, but if you run veggie oil, there is none either. No extra wear on my equipment, but I am not a logger, either. I do 10-15 cord a year.

I have been using a mix of beaver castor and cod liver oil. Seems to work just fine.
2ii8ub5.jpg

29axh88.jpg

I am still working on some used hyTran fluid from a Farmall 826 transmission. I got 25 gallons from it and have been using it for about 2 or 3 years now. Not dirty like motor oil and has no smell when you run it. Yes, it is missing the tackifiers, but if you run veggie oil, there is none either. No extra wear on my equipment, but I am not a logger, either. I do 10-15 cord a year.

I think less tackifier can be a good thing. Too sticky and all it does is attract dust and clog the tiny oiler hole on some saws like a Husky Rancher. Just some non-scientific chainsaw theory for ya'll.

I think I am done with cheap oil. This month I finally decided to tackle three large storm damage live oaks that fell last year. All of the trees are on hill sides so there have been a lot of undercutting on stressed limbs. I have most of a case of Stihl bar oil at my ex-girlfriends house that is not worth attempting to get so I have been using Walmart crap oil that my friend gave me. I am getting excessive bar my Stihl ES bar from all of the undercutting and mildly dirty wood. I have a few years on this bar and flip it often and up until these three trees and Wally World oil it was in great shape. I just picked up more Stihl oil and a new bar; lesson learned. In winter I use Husky oil from Lowes. I wish I had paid more attention to my bar when I started using the crap oil. The chains also gummed up sooner with the cheap oil.

Steel chain moving rapidly on a steel bar makes for a lot of possible friction and wear.

Latest posts

Back