What's your favorite firewood scrounging saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CS-620P_calloutsUpdate.png

If you get a short bar and a .325 setup on the 111 it will change your world

Is that your lightest PH? If the acres site is correct, that saw is light, even by current 50cc standards. You are doing it no justice by making it heavier and unwieldy.

Make it a little lighter and more compact and it will be what it’s supposed to be.

Only in America (and BC) do folks put oversized bars (and dawgs) on every saw they own.

Big dawgs have a place, but certainly not on my Dolly 5105. I fixed that a few days ago..those stupid things were ridiculous.
Today I used my other big saw. Love her.
d25b423c26f2410d5ad6a77b9eb94500.jpg

Στάλθηκε από το LG-H818 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk
Looks nice and dry I got into a big one today and it was too green I had to leave it alone I found a spot with a lot of trees that have blown down but they're all too recent too big and too far away

If I need to do some clean up along the road and the wood isnt to big I'll grab my Echo battery saw. When we head out to remove wind blown trees I grab my Echo 490 and Stihl 441. Neither leave the workshop until I get both started cold.

For most firewood scroungers, I think something in the 50cc range is optimal. 40cc class saws are low on power and take longer than desired to get the job done. 60cc class saws have a crappy power to weight ratio and start to get heavy as the day wears on. For a few more $$ and a sligntly higher weight, you can be into a 70cc class saw and be done with the work before the saw gets too heavy.

For me, it's my Echo 490. My Poulan 3516 has become the backup/cut myself free saw.

Wooohoooo! You’re finding wood today!
We did good today. My back hurts but we got 2 truck loads.
We discovered where they burned all the slash cut on the other side of the road they made fresh piles and thined alot. But its green and too heavy. But we found some stuff they didnt burn.20181106_150335.jpg

All my orher
For most firewood scroungers, I think something in the 50cc range is optimal. 40cc class saws are low on power and take longer than desired to get the job done. 60cc class saws have a crappy power to weight ratio and start to get heavy as the day wears on. For a few more $$ and a sligntly higher weight, you can be into a 70cc class saw and be done with the work before the saw gets too heavy.

For me, it's my Echo 490. My Poulan 3516 has become the backup/cut myself free saw.
Im still learning. Ive got all these heavy pigs. The 038 the 372xp and dcs6421 all weigh the same more or less. My mac super 250 might be close to 30 pounds with the 28 inch bar.
I was doing some milling. I welded up my own Alaskan chainsaw mill.

If I need to do some clean up along the road and the wood isnt to big I'll grab my Echo battery saw. When we head out to remove wind blown trees I grab my Echo 490 and Stihl 441. Neither leave the workshop until I get both started cold.

I held an echo battery saw. It felt heavy and ergonomically weird to me.Idk. Its one of the only two battery saws I’ve picked up, and I don’t even know what model it was. It was pretty big. And heavy. And weird feeling. Did I say all that twice? And pretty darn expensive.

I ran a cheap battery saw that felt better in the hands. It was a “yardworks??”. Could that be? It was green, how’s that? It was owned by an old sawyer/logger from a line of sawyer/loggers so the chain was wicked sharp and the thing cut pretty darn good, actually. You just had to be patient and let it do its thing. It is likely nowhere near the machine as the Echo.

I always start my saws at the shop too. You never know..

I need to try some more battery saws. It’s a pretty tantalizing idea in a powersaw.

I get a little vapor lock on the dolmar 111
Other than that i never seem to have starting issues.
The 372xp can be stubborn but im not using it since its nearly new. The 038 mag starts easy as long as you always choke it first. The dcs6421 is very easy but needs some adjusting. I could also feel it rev limited. Feels like it should have more.

Those aren’t heavy pigs, those are known good models of saws that could possibly last you forever. I think you need another 50cc saw. A really sweet one. I don’t know anything about that 111, but you have the wrong bar and chain setup on that puppy regardless. It will feel so much nicer, so much more potent with a short bar on it. And a smaller chain. It will be much smoother in those small limbs. Like night and day.

Maybe sell one of your bigger saws and get a nice used 50cc for a couple of hundred bucks. If the 372 is nice, don’t sell that.

A decent 40cc saw will rip through those little limbs you’re cutting as fast as anything.

There are a LOT of saws from the late 80’s on that will run with all but the hottest current stuff. Parts can be a problem, but good saws really don’t go through that many parts for a casual user. Like none, basically.

Did I happen to mention your “heavy pigs” are some really nice saws? Especially the 372, imo.

Those aren’t heavy pigs, those are known good models of saws that could possibly last you forever. I think you need another 50cc saw. A really sweet one. I don’t know anything about that 111, but you have the wrong bar and chain setup on that puppy regardless. It will feel so much nicer, so much more potent with a short bar on it. And a smaller chain. It will be much smoother in those small limbs. Like night and day.

Maybe sell one of your bigger saws and get a nice used 50cc for a couple of hundred bucks. If the 372 is nice, don’t sell that.

A decent 40cc saw will rip through those little limbs you’re cutting as fast as anything.

There are a LOT of saws from the late 80’s on that will run with all but the hottest current stuff. Parts can be a problem, but good saws really don’t go through that many parts for a casual user. Like none, basically.

Did I happen to mention your “heavy pigs” are some really nice saws?
I try to go for stuff i can fix no problem or mot have to worry about. Stuff that can take a beating.

This is all very interesting.
I agree that a lightweight 50cc is hugely versatile, and I’d like to try a 16” bar on my CS-490. But so far have just been using the 20” bar that came on it.

Latest posts

Back