Whats your most fuel effeicent saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Btw, how do you define fuel efficiency? :confused:
That's the tricky part. It would seem to me it's fuel used for the useful work done, but we don't all do the same things with saws. For me it would sometimes be the amount of firewood energy I get for the amount of fuel energy used, but even that's not easy to measure. And the fuel I use to cut my wood enables me to avoid using huge amounts of fossil fuel for heat - but I still have to pay for that fuel.

For a pro logger it would probably be cost of fuel used for a given financial return. But the relationship of cost to energy changes.

I think you have to use common sense - if the saw spends a singnificant amount of time running but not full throttle in the cut then a smaller saw is more efficient. A strato engine isn't dumping as much unburned fuel out the exhaust so must use less fuel. If the saw is tuned real rich or doesn't burn clean it's wasting fuel.

I agree, but I was just playing along with the newb...I think he is really wanting to know which saw seems to go the longest bw fill-ups doing what you normally do with the saw...I know which saw swills the mix the fastest: that's the 125. Running it hard, you don't go more than about 15 minutes bw breaks for fuel. But dang, it sure sounds good!!

Last edited:
If I'm doing my part well, the amount of chips my 441 M-Tronic will make in a tankful is pretty impressive. I usually get tired and slow down before it's empty, unless of course I stop for a break.

my ms460 runs out of bar oil before fuel ,none of my other saws do ,i pick that one

When I am really going well with a sharp chisel chain, my 395xp can fall and buck between 1-2 cords of firewood on one tank. It obviously has to be a tree with not many branches below the top.

Now that the 395xp has been ported aggressively by Mastermind, I will have to see how it does on fuel.

Anyways, having a powerful saw with a sharp chisel chain, that makes fast cuts, will save a LOT of fuel.

That 395 will probably cut so fast than you'll spend more time fueling it than cutting with it. I saw a 395 with a new 42" Cannon bar a while back and man was it sexy, if a saw can be sexy.

I have heard that some loggers around here go through gallons of fuel mix a day, that would certainly add up over time. So I would bet they are very concerned about the amount of fuel they use.

Would you not be with gas at $4.00/gal plus the cost of the mix oil? I would hope so......

Me, I guess I'm just one of the tree hugging weed smokers.

Will say that the 441cm seems to use around the same amount of (or maybe even less) fuel than my 20cc smaller Shindaiwa 500.

Sure as heck cuts faster too.

my worst day of falling on on my own i chewed through 18 litres of fuel (bit under 5 gallons for you imperialists)

did it matter how much fuel, hell no that fuel earned me a sweet 3 grand in a day.

if your pricing is that tight that you need to worry about fuel quantities in a chain saw, you must working for free.

oh yeah we pay approx $2.50 per litre for high octane ($9.25 per gallon)

Last edited:
I had asked this question over in the firewood forum. Reason for asking is that my 359 e-tech is nearly twice as efficient as my 55 Rancher.

That really wouldnt matter until you look at it at the years end. I cut and sell firewood, right around 100 cords a year. It would take me twice as much fuel to cut that same wood if I used my rancher for all of it. That is a huge difference!

A better way to put it is that I would only have cut half as much wood on the same fuel.

Yes there are a million variables in fuel efficiency for sure. I was just looking at my own usage.

Ted

Last edited:
Ted, that's not your sister, mom or gf/wife in your avatar is it, so it's safe for me to lust after her? :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

fuel efficient to me means the most work done, in my case trees on the landing, per gallon of fuel

if that is the question, then i must say it depends- mostly on what I am cutting, but i have few saws and use the correct saw for the job at hand. In big wood, the 395 might be the most fuel efficient, in first thinning pine the 026, but most of the time my jobs are best suited to a 60cc saw, and that is most fuel efficient. 562xp is my fuel sipper.

thinkin of a new saw Jake ?? been awhile, no ?

Latest posts

Back