Wheelbarrow for firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I gave up on the cart after the snow took up residence here. Get an Ice fishing sled (Otter sled) they hold a lot of wood and it seems to be much less work pulling a sled full of wood than wheeling a cart.:cheers:

That's what I use when the snow is too deep for the wheelbarrow. When the woodshed by the OWB is empty and I have to hit the secondary pile I use the plastic tub from a large old ice shanty. The pile is up an incline from the boiler so it slides real nice. Sometimes I have to run to keep ahead of it! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I thought of the toboggan thing and it sounds like you guys were having alot of fun !! But I don't want to bend over and pick it up more than I have to , the other day I picked it up after cutting it wheelbarrowed it to the tractor and then it was already at waist height for unloading , worked out pretty slick , just need to take my old one and modify it into the super duper firewood wheelbarrow , i when I get going on this thing I'll post some pics !!

I have moved my share of cordwood w/ a wheelbarrow, I'm old and lazy now, if I can't move it w/ the front end loader, it ain't gonna be moved. My 76 yo Dad still uses his double wheel cart, he favors that over a single wheel, he says it's easier to roll over rough ground, but I have no idea about using it over snow.

The days of hauling wood out with a toboggan was at least 30 years ago when we were teens and had energy and more important back power. Nowadays I mainly use the toboggan for hauling deer out or Christmas trees as seen in the photo. Those are not body bags but 2 Christmas trees cut from the property.

I was in the woods cutting wood over the weekend and with the snow I couldn't get the tractor right up to the wood I had cut , so I got my regular metal wheelbarrow and it really worked pretty good and saved me alot of steps . The only thing was the wheelbarrow I was using had the bar on front for dumping and it kept getting hung up . So I was thinking of taking an old wheelbarrow that I have with a broken handle and turn it to a firewood wheelbarrow . I will take the bar in the front and make it higher so it won't hit and make the front pretty hi to hold wood , put a flat bottom in it and stack the wood crossways , should hold quite a bit . Anyone have one or have any ideas ??

How about raising the tub and putting a bigger tire on it? I use them at home and at work but mine have the deal around the front also.

I am always getting thrown over the handlebars if I dont watch it.

I got plastic ones with the deep tub and they hold a bunch of wood its a step saver for sure. Good luck with your project it sounds like the way to go.

Kansas

Yeah the snow was the problem thats for sure but after I got a path going it worked pretty good , I just need to reposition that bar in the front so it can't dig in . I'm thinking of just a flat bottom , maybe even oak slats so the snow can filter through , not sure if I need sides to help hold it all in or not , I'd rather not have the sides if I don't need them because I could also haul wood pallets after I cut them and I only cut them into 3 pieces each. so there kind of long .

you could put stake pockets on the side of the flatbed giving you the option of having sides.

04 , I was thinking of stake pockets also , but I was going with a wood bottom so not sure how strong I can make them , steel would have been easier , I'm trying to use stuff I have laying around , maybe if I run a piece of angle down the edge I could use that to attach the pockets.

Depends on how tall you are. At 6'7" I dumped them on mole hills until I gave it away. Pretty much worthless to me.

Tall guys are tough on that front bracket :)

Bracket?? We don't need no stinkin bracket, lol

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Wheelbarrow

I have moved a lot of wood over rough terrain with the wheelbarrow in the attached photo and also use it to move wood from my driveway to the area where I split and stack it. When I purchased this wheelbarrow about 5 years ago to allow move muck up a steer banking from a drained pond, it was self propelled by a German-made 24 V DC motor built into the front wheel. It did the job and also was great to move large stones from the same pond. Unfortunately the motor control unit sustained water damage which I could not repair. I removed all the electronics and have been using it in the woods. The large diameter tire makes it very easy to push - even up hill. It will handle any load I can fit into it.

Another wheel barrel thread?

If the weather doesn't ease up some we'll be writing about techniques for carrying armloads of wood. :)

But since it hasn't yet, I've attached some pics of my award winning wood hauler. Took about 15-20 minutes to cobble together with some plywood a
2x4 and a couple of pieces of scap sheet metal I had laying around that I used for braces. By stacking in rows I can get enough wood on here to feed the insert for 4-7 days depending on the outdoor temps.

If the weather doesn't ease up some we'll be writing about techniques for carrying armloads of wood. :)

But since it hasn't yet, I've attached some pics of my award winning wood hauler. Took about 15-20 minutes to cobble together with some plywood a
2x4 and a couple of pieces of scap sheet metal I had laying around that I used for braces. By stacking in rows I can get enough wood on here to feed the insert for 4-7 days depending on the outdoor temps.

I was thinking that a mason wheelbarrow would be ideal. That is pretty much what you have.

Most mason wheelbarrows are a little heavier duty than yours, but stone generally weighs more than wood.

The poly tubs and tossed wood in cold weather do not agree. For the snow how about adding a ski instead of or under the tire. As far as height with out removing the bar you might have to drop the axle down by adding a set of blocks, wheel dia. is limited by the distance between the tub and axle

I agree with WD, I've had better luck with the single wheel. I like the plastic tubs, but both of them I've had have cracked and ended up with big holes in them over time.

OTOH, steel is heavier and rusts... :monkey:

i dont know about the rust part my grandpa has had his since the 70's and it wasnt new then a guy was moving away and he went and asked what he was going to do with it so the guy gave it to him.so around 60's and 50's its made of actual steel its 1/8'' plate folded and riveted i think to make the tub. rusty but not even close to being eaten away. only had 1 pair of handles replaces them a few weeks back and its still in use today.

ski

Blades, That is exactly what I was thinking,weld up a ski that has a sleeve that will slip onto the existing axle,taking the tire completely off.Make your ski about 4 to 6 inches wide and I bet it would work like a charm.Make the sweep of the radius on the ski tall enough so it pushes brush down or off to the side. You might want to ask around at any snowmobile sales/repair places if they have any old/damaged skis that you could modify to work for you.Up here in Wisconsin they are readily available.You might end up welding an extended "arm" on the back end of the ski so it would brace against the bottom of the wheelbarrow,so the ski does not tip too far forward. I will try this when I see the next ski or pair of skis thrown out at our landfills scrap steel pile.:cheers:-ken

Back