When do you put your wood inside?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mercer_me

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I put my wood in my out door furnace/wood shed rite after I cut it up. I put my parent's wood down celler in september.

I have put elm that was dead and no bark on it down my basement in the middle of summer. I wouldnt put anything in it if it had bark.Im afraid of the bugs in wood with bark.That I only bring in a few days worth at a time. :)

i bring in a cord and a half or more in the cellar. i save it for when its real cold and snowy outside. i hate going through the snow to get wood when i can keep it in the cellar. i bring it in in the fall sometimes real late august. it really depends on the weather. two years ago it didnt rain forever it seemed. so i brought in a cord or so before the rains came. this winter i waited till october i think.

i bought a small trapped shed to put near my out door wood stove and it holds about 8 to 10 cords almost a winters worth, then i have a bigger shed in the property that holds 3 years worth so i just keep rotating each year

What do I put my wood inside? HHmmmm I can go a couple different places with that!

Anyway, I store my fire wood on racks as I don't really care for the pallet style stacking unless I don't plan on burning it for a long while.

That of course is before it goes into my wood stove.

Edit, the question is WHEN. Sorry!

I can only fit a week's worth...if I stuff to the gills...inside my house.

When I was growing up...whole year's supply in unheated garage, three weeks at the far end of the basement with the woodstove, one week by the stove. My job on weekends to move wood from far end to the woodstove, and replenish far end from garage...with my little red wagon!

I don't put wood in my woodshed until I feel it is seasoned enough to burn. My shed has three walls and one open side (old livestock / implement shed) There isn't that much air movement in there so wood seems to season much faster outside in the sun, wind, and rain.

Dead elm goes in the wood shed immediately upon being split- try not to burn it until at least a month has past.

Any other bone dry wood I gather goes straight in - pre-seasoned firewood scores, these really dead dry branches on some trees etc.

All other wood that needs to season some gets stacked / piled outside off the ground so the elements can do their thing.

Don

Whenever there's room

I've got the wood shed full now but usually it's done in late summer and early autumn. I've gotten lazy so I've started putting wood directly to the shed in the winter if there is one end clear. That way I don't have to handle the wood so many times.

My shed is a leanto against my garage.(cinder block wall) It is open on three sides. It is 8x18 & 8' to the bottom of the joists. Roof is another 3' higher with a 18" overhang. With my old Russo, I never really had a problem burning in the winter anything I stacked in there in the summer.(except standing dead red oak)

For this winter I decided to put in an Englander 13 NC stove in place of the Russo. These new EPA stoves require SEASONED wood. Last May/June, I cut, split & stacked it full. Whatever I split was in the shed the same day. The wood is STILL wet. Put the wood in the stove & the water boils out the end. It is doing it right now. This is locust, maple & ash. Even the ash is significantly lighter the next day if I bring it in & stack it near the stove. This says to me that the wood needs airflow & sun to properly season for the new stoves.
Al

Wood goes into the basement in November or day before first real snow accumulation, the ideal being dry, hard ground, and cold enough to kill or suspend any remaining ickies. We'll stack 4-5 cord in the first round, then about the midwinter thaw when the weather gets more pleasant for a few days, we'll get another 3cords or whatever we still need to make it to April.

Otherwise, wood that was split before summer is stacked under cover before snowfall gets serious, on pallets, that are on concrete, and open three sides.

:cheers:

The wood box in my garage holds about a half a cord... which typically lasts two weeks at the height of burn season... sometimes three depending on how cold it is and if I burn during the day on weekends.

Mostly I cut stuff in 4' lengths and stack it, rough split. Then when I do the biweekly wood box fill, I buck it to stove length and split anything that needs one last whack. Spreads the work out a little bit that way. Plus 4' is easier to stack straight than 16".

Back