When to not fix or sharpen carbide chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My 24" Rapco carbide chain is in need of repair. I have 6 broken cutters and only about 1/16 to 3/32 of carbide left on the good cutters. Is it worth fixing. I think new cutters are $7 each. How small can I grind the cutters? I don't us it much because it cuts slow and fence wire in wood eats it up. The last go round with it I found 10 inches of concrete in the middle of a log.

Very expensive chains no doubt but mis matched cutter sizes of that extreme is dangerous to use. If its in question be safe and replace it.

My 24" Rapco carbide chain is in need of repair. I have 6 broken cutters and only about 1/16 to 3/32 of carbide left on the good cutters. Is it worth fixing. I think new cutters are $7 each. How small can I grind the cutters? I don't us it much because it cuts slow and fence wire in wood eats it up. The last go round with it I found 10 inches of concrete in the middle of a log.

Is brazing required to put these new cutters on your chain? $7.00 + install and sharpen. How much is a new chain?

Have you considered running a shorter bar with your carbide chain to cut down on the chain cost?

Is brazing required to put these new cutters on your chain? $7.00 + install and sharpen. How much is a new chain?

Have you considered running a shorter bar with your carbide chain to cut down on the chain cost?

The new cutters are complete with carbide tip attached. Just need to break the chain and spin in new links. Must buy left or right hand cutters. The chain did cost $240 new. Then regrinding was $50. I was thinking of getting the diamond wheel for the carbide chain. $200 for wheel. if I could get 4 to 5 more sharpenings out of the chain I might fix. Don't think it will last that long. Sounds like I would need to grind down the new cutters to match the old one.

what are you cutting that requires a full carbide chain? I see you are cutting some questionable wood.

Back