When was the last Super XL Homelite made?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brages

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Just wondering.

Quite a production run for this old classic. I think the one I have was made in 1981; it's far from the last.

I've seen these "Old Blue" and "Big Red" models that were apparently made as Homelite gasped for breath in its death throes. When were they made?

Just wondering.

Quite a production run for this old classic. I think the one I have was made in 1981; it's far from the last.

I've seen these "Old Blue" and "Big Red" models that were apparently made as Homelite gasped for breath in its death throes. When were they made?

old blue 68 to 70 i think the red one after good saw at the time but now junk tom trees

Yep, the "Big Red" and "Old Blue" were the last incarnation of 'em. Not sure of the final date, but pretty sure sometime in the '80s. I think I've heard some were still for sale in the 90s and even at places like Harbor Freight, but not sure of their manufacturing date. I didn't know until recently, but the later models used a plastic housing on their auto oiler pump. Don't think there were too many other differences otherwise with the previous models.

Dan

Kyle, you're probably right. They definitely were still for sale in the 90's. Calvin, as far as I know, the "original" blue ones were in the '60s as they were introduced. Somewhere around '64 or '65 I think. By the 70's most if not all XL / Super XLs were red, but I could easily be wrong. The reintroduction "Old Blue" or "Ol' Blue" or whatever it was called was blue and as Dadatwins pointed out here, they were a different shade than the original blue saws.

Dan

This is the last listings I found. Last year produced.
UT10045 SXLAO 80
UT10045-A SXLAO 80
UT10045-B SXLAO 82
UT10045-C SXLAO 93
UT10045-CR SXLAO 93
UT10045-CU SXLAO 93
UT10045-D SXLAO 94
UT10045-E SXLAO 95
UT10045-F SXLAO ???

That sounds right, I was pretty sure they were made up to the mid 90's...I know even the Super XL-925 was made up until about 1994!

dan you mean these blue xl ones i have is 60s 70s models ? i notice on most them the air filter cover is not them plastic ones you find today its magnesium

so that can help identify the year of them

oh i put that one xl 925 piston on ebay last night guess what happened it did not last 24 hrs till someone snatched it
some repair shop in the state of illinois

talk later got packages to box wooo hoo work finally got some work to do

Last edited:
dan you mean these blue xl ones i have is 60s 70s models ? i notice on most them the air filter cover is not them plastic ones you find today its magnesium

so that can help identify the year of them

oh i put that one xl 925 piston on ebay last night guess what happened it did not last 24 hrs till someone snatched it
some repair shop in the state of illinois

talk later got packages to box wooo hoo work finally got some work to do

Do they have serial numbers? You can tell what year it was from that.

old blue 68 to 70 i think the red one after good saw at the time but now junk tom trees

How exactly does a time period of 25-30 years make a saw junk? To the best of my knowledge, saws do not turn into "junk" just by sitting on a shelf for a few decades.

To the best of my knowledge, saws do not turn into "junk" just by sitting on a shelf for a few decades.

The rubber parts rot away...

I'm pretty impressed with the old XL... this thing is about 27 years old, and was probably in active service for 15 years or so. When I was a kid, it cut enough firewood to keep a drafty farmhouse warm. All I had to do to get it running again was new fuel and oil lines... didn't even have to clean out the carb. Starts, runs, idles great! But, compared to a modern saw, it's low on peak hp, high on weight and vibration, and lacking in safety features.

I would say the mid to late 90's was the end of production for Super XL's.

In 1997 I was looking for a new saw and the local Homelite/Husqvarna Dealer had new red Super XL Homelites for $349.00. My dad bought a new Blue Super XL in 1971 for $129.00 at the same dealer. Besides the color change the other differences were a Hand Guard that looked like a chain brake and a padded front handle. I remember the dealer saying their going to stop making them soon.

After having running one for over 20 years I knew I didn't want another, so for a $150.00 more I bought a new Husqvarna 254xp. A decision I don't regret.

:cheers:

Last edited:
If anyone is amazed that SXl was still sold up to the mid 1990's take a look at how long they offered the good old Super Wiz 66.

Bill

Latest posts

Back