When you see a craigslist ad like this, what do you think?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikefunaro

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Direct link here, and I'm going to embed an image too, that if you click the image should link you to a full sized screen shot.

Husqvarna chainsaw 8 hours old

I see more and more of these it seems. Ads that claim to have paid some RIDICULOUS sum for what they are selling. Sometimes it's like list and a little bit, so it's like ok, they're quoting tax and then some. And I understand this.

But then ones like this come along. $800 for a 346 he claims to have paid??? Is he out of his mind? Is this a flat out lie to make you believe that his asking price is more reasonable? Or is he actually nuts? Did he actually get that ripped at the stealer?

I would have MB tractor check it out before I bought it. LOL :laugh:

The $800 he sid he paid was the first thing that jumped out at me. Sounds like a big fish swimming in the sea to me. Maybe 800 if he built it piece by piece. But from a dealer new and complete nope! Atleast not in the US.

Benefit of the doubt, Typo??

NOT

Know M&B, they charge list for just about everything. Tried to negotiate a package when I bought my Kubota but no dice. They do have a state of the art facility on Rte 125 with lots of inventory and some pretty knowledgeable folk.

As to the seller, he's just trying to make it look like a deal for some unsuspecting shmuck. Common on CL and a host of other sites. Let's face it 2 minutes on Google and anyone, whether versed in saws or not can find out what that saw sold for new.

To quote a wise man, "there's one born every minute", and folks on CL have access to literally a world suckers. Caveat Emptor is still the best advice.

Take Care

Last edited:
Heck, he may have paid that much but that just means he is not careful with his money, and retail price paid doesn't have any bearing on what I pay used. Case in point, someone wanted about $1000 for a well-used MS660 a few weeks ago. He claimed he paid $1250 for it. When I offered what I thought was reasonable for a used saw with no warranty, he said it was way too low based on what he paid. My comment was "Just because you overpaid does not mean someone who buys your saw should as well".

He must have bought it in Canada .

husqvarna%20346%20xp%20-%20.jpg

LOLOL!!! I have a 266 muffler in "my ebay" that has been there for months. He keeps putting it in for 30 days at a time. He has it listed as "Buy It Now" the price is $100.00 + $15.00 Shipping..........So for $115.00 you can have your very own NOS 266 muffler!!!!!! I mean come on!!!!! Any where but Ebay you can buy a whole running 266XP for that money!!!!! I can't wait for someone to buy it but no one has bit yet!!!!

I see jokers like that here all the time posting bogus new prices on tools. On one occasion, an ad listed a used Hitachi Compound Miter Slide Saw for $100 more than full retail at Lowes, and someone else posted another ad calling him out.

Last edited:
We all see it all the time, could be that the cat in question just bought a 346, 6 extra bars, 14 chains, a pair of chaps, 42 gallons of oil and just remebers paying $800 or whatever for the whole lot.

I had a guy come into the shop on friday with a 266se he was looking at buying, the owner of the saw told him it was about 6 years old, wanted to know if I could tell the saws age from the serial number............1984 XXXXXXXX, gawd that was hard...............in reality its 27 years old, but the original owner thinks he only had it a few years (btw it was in immaculate shape).

Bridezilla wanted the trim in the kitchen finished today so this morning I headed over to the Lowes (first one around here and just opened) so after 3 hours of looking around at what they had, I went to Home Hardware and bought the trim (a Canadian Business). Anyways while at Lowes I decide to look for a Fiskars X27, had none looked at me like I was an alien when I asked about one, but noticed they had some husky saws, 235E, 435, 445. All were in US old style boxes and had crazy high prices. The MSRP for a 435 up here is $320, they were selling it for $358, so I asked about it, well blah blah blah they will meet any competitors price and beat it etc.....Then I asked about warranty........well they were clueless till finally the manager shows up and tells me the factory warranty applies, and I can take it to any Husqvarna dealer for service................here the kicker...........I am a Husqvarna dealer........so I went home and tried to register the 435 (if the serial number is a no go it wont let me register it) and poof wow the serial number can't be registered in Canada.....hence it definately is a US saw, so no warranty up here.

At least she will be happy when she comes home. the trim is done!

I noticed that ad this a.m. on craigslist too. i laughed because when I was at my local MB browsing a couple weeks ago the same saw new was standard list price. I'm seeing this tactic more and more on craigslist lately, used 290's for $10 cheaper than a new one, etc. and it's not just the chainsaw's there was a welder for sale up my way that was actually cheaper NIB at Home Depot than it was in used on Craigslist.

I have seen people several times asking full retail value for used Stihl 290s all the time.

I do not understand it.

There is a pawn shop around me that ask darn near full retail for all their saws and they a junk ones. Everytime I go in there it is the same saws hanging. THey never sell them.

I see jokers like that here all the time posting bogus new prices on tools. On one occasion, an ad listed a used Hitachi Compound Miter Slide Saw for $100 more than full retail at Lowes, and someone else posted another ad calling him out.

I used to see the Rip-Off Warning ads frequently when I browsed CL for music gear. Some of them turned into lengthy wars.

The number of people who think that their used item is worth 90% of its original cost is amazing. That said, let's not forget the bottomfeeders who offer 10% of what an item is worth.

There's always a pretty steady supply of smaller Stihl home owner saws at or above retail price on craigslist. And I've called and talked to a few of the guys selling them, and for the most part it's a case of the "Pissed off Wife" at work.

The guy needs a saw to do a job, and after much begging and pleading the wife lets him spend more than a 150$, on a "real saw". Husband gets job done, wife gets a bug in her arse to clean the garage, and notices nearly new saw, sitting un used. She says you better sell it, since you're not using it and better get all the money back out of it.

i see it all the time too with the local classifieds. a guy recently had a 3 year old ms-290 for sale and he was wanting 300.00 firm for it,,,dang 50.00 more i can get a brand new,,well he didn't understand that

Latest posts

Back