where and how do you have your grinders mounted?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gloud

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I finally got around to getting the bench cleared off some more (12' bench and only 3' usable before so I bought a 5 tier shelf unit) and I am a loss at where and how to mount my two grinders.
Right now I have them mounted to a section of 2x4 that I them clamp in my metal working vise. the only issue I have is with them loose lying on the bench sooner or later I will break a wheel.

I like the hight and overhang of the vise, but I want a more permanent solution. (and I am going to add a telescoping lamp to the area also. )

thanks for any Ideas.

I didn't like mine in my workshop area due to the metal pieces flying all over.

Made up a super expensive, handy, dandy 2 x 4 framed stand.

Yep, that is concrete on those 2 x 4s because it was part of a concrete form in a past life! :)

I like it. Easy to move, just the right height when sitting in a chair, and all the dust goes right outside.

It even has a state of the art chainsaw chain hanging arm.

Here she is in all her beauty.

attachment.php

Grinding station

I have a work station currently holding a pair of 8" grinders, and there was room for more. When I got the chain grinder it just seemed appropriate to give it a place on this stand. As well I attached a holder for the allen keys and accessories that came with it. The goose neck lamp still reaches around to each of these grinders.

Jan1812.jpg

Jan1812001.jpg

I mounted mine to a bench grinder stand. Not overly expensive and works great. Lots of slots for spare wheels and tools. The grinding stand is nice because it's height adjustable. All the way down and it tucks out of the way against the wall. All the way up and it's a perfect setup to work from the stool shown in the pic.

218283d1326932065-img_5200-large-jpg

218281d1326931869-img_5199-large-jpg

Last edited:
Good thread.

I mounted my breaker, spinner, and grinder on marine plywood and clamped on a magnifying light. The breaker is behind the grinder. The breaker and spinner help balance the grinder.

151921d1285361037-sharp8x6-jpg

I've since built a table out of some of the maple I CSM'd, about twice the size of the table it's sitting on but I've left the 3 pieces mounted on the plywood.

This way I can lift all 3 together and put them in a large cardboard box and transport them in my truck.

One of my plans is to do a lot of CSM'ng moderately remotely and be able to run the grinder off an inverter in my Ford F350 7.3L wherever I am. I've gotten pretty darn good at hand filing but every once and a while I hit a nail or some such and it's usually just after I swapped in a fresh chain, and the other spares are dull already. I've found that hand sharpening is good, but when I'm doing 135 links a grinder is quicker.

Mine is bench mounted. I also use a visor magnifier with lights when filing down rakers.
I like MS260's adjustable stand, and gemniii's lighted magnifier. That would make a great combo I'll look into.

wall mount

I finally got around to getting the bench cleared off some more (12' bench and only 3' usable before so I bought a 5 tier shelf unit) and I am a loss at where and how to mount my two grinders.
Right now I have them mounted to a section of 2x4 that I them clamp in my metal working vise. the only issue I have is with them loose lying on the bench sooner or later I will break a wheel.

I like the hight and overhang of the vise, but I want a more permanent solution. (and I am going to add a telescoping lamp to the area also. )

thanks for any Ideas.

i have limited space. my shop is in an old airforce missile support truck box. i put the grinder on the wall where i won't trip on it. at present it is mostly used to grind depth gauges and also to restore damaged chains.

http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=302414&d=1372529468

http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=302415&d=1372529470

View attachment 302414View attachment 302415

Back