Where did all the loggers go?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got tired of people nitpicking every little thing and all the petty squabbles on most of the internet sites. I sold most of my big iron after the crash of 07 and the last of it in 09 and went back to logging with a farm tractor and 3pt winch. Stuck almost as much in my pocket as when I had two small crews but without the headache and I was blessed to have really good guys. I was farming (cattle) and logging back then. The wife and I sold-out completely in 13 and moved to north Idaho for four years where I was logging for other people. Moved back to South Western Virginia in late 17 and was going to go back to logging for myself but dislocated an ankle falling timber for a guy and spent the next year and a half healing up driving truck because the doc was an idiot and told me I just sprained it so it was 7 weeks before another doc put it back in place. Went back to farming four years ago and pastime logging for ourselves last year. AS has changed alot since it got started.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1532437059328.jpg
    FB_IMG_1532437059328.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 2
I got tired of people nitpicking every little thing and all the petty squabbles on most of the internet sites. I sold most of my big iron after the crash of 07 and the last of it in 09 and went back to logging with a farm tractor and 3pt winch. Stuck almost as much in my pocket as when I had two small crews but without the headache and I was blessed to have really good guys. I was farming (cattle) and logging back then. The wife and I sold-out completely in 13 and moved to north Idaho for four years where I was logging for other people. Moved back to South Western Virginia in late 17 and was going to go back to logging for myself but dislocated an ankle falling timber for a guy and spent the next year and a half healing up driving truck because the doc was an idiot and told me I just sprained it so it was 7 weeks before another doc put it back in place. Went back to farming four years ago and pastime logging for ourselves last year. AS has changed alot since it got started.
Indeed. There are some nasty people here, accusing others of lying with no basis to do so, acting knowledgeable when they aren't, etc.

I agree the site has changed, A huge amount of good folks have left due to the climate here. The site has changed ownership and moderation has changed. Of course some of the good folks have passed away, notably ole "Gypo" John Lambert which is the man that asked me to join back in 2002.

I hated hearing about that. We used to talk quite a bit 20 years ago.
I never met John nor personally spoke with him. We did exchange many messages online. He is the reason I am on this site and was an asset to the place. I will never forget him posting a pic of himself bucking a log buck ass naked. Also he making references to his "saw wench" I am sure she misses him greatly.

You just can't keep logger down for long...once it gets in their blood...it there for ever!

It might could be.....that most loggers and people running around in the woods have NO cell phone coverage due to topography. Nor do they have time to be responding or starting threads, etc. because, like so many people, they actually have to do work that doesn't allow time to be messaging.

It's a dark and miserable time of year right now. People are going to be grumpy. That's just the way it is---quote from a logger I once knew.

That's me in the thumb nail. I cut that tree. I guess I'm a "real logger". Of course, I also think I'm smart and good looking so with that being said... LOL I'm still here, at least right now but only because I'm recovering from a total knee replacement and getting ready for the other. If not for that I'd be out there killing trees today or if too muddy/snowy to log, then skiing although we haven't had much snow yet here in the Tahoe region. Just sitting by the fire and the Christmas tree petting Miss Gracie the chihuahua. Life is good. Not too grumpy either.

I agree the site has changed, A huge amount of good folks have left due to the climate here. The site has changed ownership and moderation has changed. Of course some of the good folks have passed away, notably ole "Gypo" John Lambert which is the man that asked me to join back in 2002.
I joined here around 2002 and was heavily involved in posting. Now I just check out what's going on and post a little here and there. I met Gypo several times. Quite the character. I was supposed to chat on the phone with him shortly before he passed
He will be missed.

well I'm not a real logger unfortunately. I do enjoy my chainsaws. I grew up in northern Wisconsin where instead of getting a pacifier babies were given a chain to sharpen. I have several family members that are loggers and always enjoy being in the woods cutting trees. this site is at least a little bit reminiscent of my home life back in wisconsin. i live in Missouri and have very few trees to cut. I do own three chainsaws and my wife wonders why I spend so much time and money playing with them.

That's me in the thumb nail. I cut that tree. I guess I'm a "real logger". Of course, I also think I'm smart and good looking so with that being said... LOL I'm still here, at least right now but only because I'm recovering from a total knee replacement and getting ready for the other. If not for that I'd be out there killing trees today or if too muddy/snowy to log, then skiing although we haven't had much snow yet here in the Tahoe region. Just sitting by the fire and the Christmas tree petting Miss Gracie the chihuahua. Life is good. Not too grumpy either.
quick recovery... Longbar that surgery recovery is a tough one...right next to shoulder. It's tough on knees, and pants keeping those stumps low.

Latest posts

Back