Where did they go wrong?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SEAM

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I messed around with some of the older around 80cc saws today and found that the 82 cc Mac CP80 feels lighter than the Stihl 045 which one one of the reasons the Macs had to go... Bars and chains were of comparable size.

Mac CP80 (9.5 kg)

Stihl 045 (11 kg)

Stihl 07 (just under 11 kg with a somewhat shorter bar)

The Mac also feels more powerful in wood... I wonder why people bought the Stihl??

Since I was at it, I also measured these two - I always thought the Jonsered feels bulkier, but they are pretty much the same weight-wise.
Jonsered 630 (7.5 kg)

Stihl 034 Super (7 kg)

Little joke there....that's why I never became a comedian.

I was only confirming my impression handling those saws. The Mac is a super compact when compared to the 045. And my scale told me it also weighs less.
Moving around in terrain weight is an important quality for a pro... especially when there are gradients to tackle.

I think a Mac super 250 would outperform a 051. Stihl started gaining popularity here in the late 70's and I cannot see why. Now by the mid 80's Stihl had made some great strides, but in the 70's? Seemed like more of a status symbol than practical when compared with Mac or Homelite. The sp80/81 and sxl 925 should have spanked Stihl's 045 , 048, and 051.

You are just teasing me with that CP (DX) 80 aren't you?

View attachment 502034

Every time I run my better 850 I also have to wonder what happened to McCulloch. The only knock against them would be the location of the exhaust; I have the burned chaps to show for it.

Mark
Wow, is that you're collection?
Is my lead for you in that bunch?

My guess is marketing dollars spent. Were there McCulloch commercials cause I know I've seen a lot of stihl ones of the time.

Obviously they went the way of many corporations where upper management sucked all the money out of it and put nothing back in. They sold the McCinderblock for years, and when the specter of emissions regs came up they fought it hard, said it couldn't be done, etc. - because they were an empty shell and had not reinvested in their core business. Then they quit, and sold the name to Jenn Feng in Taiwan.

Meanwhile a smaller Japanese company was quietly developing strato. They licensed that design to Jenn Feng, who built their own version of it, and sold it with the McCulloch name. Sometimes irony is delicious.

Most corporations have their heyday, because by happy accident a core group of people with a good idea and compatible ways of working get together and make it happen. But after some time it falls apart as people move on, or it gets too big and too much dead wood gets involved. More than likely those good designs were created by a pretty small group that were good, but nothing lasts forever.

Chris you made me look it up, as I always wondered what actually happened to McCulloch. Pretty good read below:

McCulloch Motors Corporation
McCulloch.png
McCulloch Motors Corporation is an American manufacturer of chainsaws and other outdoor power tools. The company was founded in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, in 1943 by Robert Paxton McCulloch as a manufacturer of small two-stroke gasoline engines and introduced its first chainsaw in 1948, the Model 5-49. McCulloch and its brand are owned by Husqvarna.

McCulloch moved its operation to California in 1946. In the 1950s, McCulloch manufactured target drone engines, which were sold to RadioPlane in the 1970s. These McCulloch 4318 small four cylinder horizontally opposed two-stroke engines were also popular for use in various small autogyros, such as the Bensen B-8M and Wallis WA-116.

McCulloch also started Paxton Automotive, manufacturing McCulloch-labeled superchargers like the one fitted to the Kaiser Manhattan, the 1957 Studebaker Golden Hawk, and Ford Thunderbird.

In 1959, they produced their first kart engine, the McCulloch MC-10,[1] an adapted chainsaw two-stroke engine.[2] Bill Van Tichelt of VanTech Engineering designed and produced one of the first specialized manifolds for the McCulloch kart engine.[3]

In 1964, McCulloch founded Lake Havasu City, Arizona, with a factory and housing for its workers. In 1967, McCulloch discontinued its line of outboard boat engines which it began after the 1956 purchase of Scott-Atwater Manufacturing Company of Minneapolis, Minnesota - the manufacturer of Scott-Atwater outboard boat engines.[4]

In the 1970s their range was expanded to add generators, hedge trimmers, string trimmers, and leaf blowers, but started a narrow focus on lawn and garden equipment.

Black and Decker bought McCulloch on October 4, 1974, and sold the company to a private group in November 1984.[5]

In January 1999, the company filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy and sold its European division to Husqvarna AB. In October 1999, its North American operation was acquired by the Taiwanese company Jenn Feng Industrial Co., Ltd. Jenn Feng added electric power tools and pressure washers to the product line.[6]

In March of 2003 MTD Products Inc signed a distribution and licensing agreement with Jenn Feng in which MTD would exclusively produce McCulloch products in North America. [7]

In March 2008, Husqvarna acquired Jenn Feng outdoor products division, gaining access to the McCulloch brand in the North American market.[8] McCulloch is since a brand within the Husqvarna Group.

Well, no way my buddies 041 super can come close to hanging with my Mac 700.

I kinda would have liked to have gotten one of those 50cc Macs that were out a couple of years ago. Get it ported and run it against a late 10-10 for comparison. And to tease RandyMac a bit aso well.

I had an Mac 3200 and that thing screamed.....when she ran and restarted

Good old Bob moved the London Bridge to Lake Havasu as well. Here's a couple pics when I was there a couple years back.
As far as the company I think once the company was sold and Bob died there wasn't the same drive for innovation and performance and it slipped into the high volume low profit margin homeowner business.

Attachments

• 100_0251.jpg
    100_0251.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
  • 100_0252.jpg
    100_0252.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 27
  • 100_0258.jpg
    100_0258.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 27
  • Bob Mcculloch Inset.JPG
    Bob Mcculloch Inset.JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 23
Thanks for those photos Matt. One of my goals after retirement will be to take a leisurely trip to Lake Havasu and see what remains of the McCulloch empire.

I have a good friend in California who's father worked at McCulloch and has provided me with some pretty unique memorabilia. He was involved when they moved from L.A. to Arizona and was able to collect some real treasures from the warehouse before the remains were scrapped.

IMG_1285.JPG

Mark

Latest posts

Back