where did you learn to work on saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

origionalrebel

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i never had much interest in how a 2 stroke works till i stumbled across AS while researching splitter builds. i always just thought of a chainsaw as another tool in my box. i hung around the firewood section for months before i even joined. i was browsing around and ran across the chainsaw forum and i'll be damned if i didn't come down with CAD. i have a ms250 i was ready to pitch in the dumpster till i did a MM and tune with the info i got from here to make it a pretty damn good cutting little saw. that only addwd to the CAD! now i'd like to know what makes em tick and what makes em tick even better. my background is in auto/equipment mechanics, many years of stockcar racing but nothing involving 2 strokes. where did you experts learn what you know? is it written down somewhere? i'm sure most of you probably started out working in a saw shop or similar? i'd just like to know how someone that likes to be hands on would learn to build a saw.

i never had much interest in how a 2 stroke works till i stumbled across AS while researching splitter builds. i always just thought of a chainsaw as another tool in my box. i hung around the firewood section for months before i even joined. i was browsing around and ran across the chainsaw forum and i'll be damned if i didn't come down with CAD. i have a ms250 i was ready to pitch in the dumpster till i did a MM and tune with the info i got from here to make it a pretty damn good cutting little saw. that only addwd to the CAD! now i'd like to know what makes em tick and what makes em tick even better. my background is in auto/equipment mechanics, many years of stockcar racing but nothing involving 2 strokes. where did you experts learn what you know? is it written down somewhere? i'm sure most of you probably started out working in a saw shop or similar? i'd just like to know how someone that likes to be hands on would learn to build a saw.

Getting a manual of any brand will be a good starter, since you have mechanical experience. You ought to go to the mediacat thread and
request a copy, you will get all of the latest Stihl mechanic's manuals along with the complete parts lists.

i got a husky 32 for free when i was 6 years old. my dad taught me how they worked and how to fix it and it was all over from there. after that i seemed to have fixed a whole bunch of homelites and echos before i moved into the newer huskys and stihls. i got alot of free saws back then and seemed to be fixing them whenever i had time. so thats how i learned and i swear i've had CAD since my first saw but i didn't realize it til i joined this site :msp_wink:

Taking it apart after I break it.... Several times...

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

I'm no expert but growing up my dad got tired of fixing things I broke so I started there. I've been fortunately to have grown up in a family of break it and make it faster. Always got in trouble for taking something new apart and my only excuse was I can make it faster. After a wreck I had been in kept me on crutches for 3 months I looked elsewhere for hobbies. Dad always cut firewood and we always had fun so I did more of that. I got to where I'd need a saw and it wouldn't run so I started loitering at saw shops asking questions. I joined this site after looking for some information on a saw I didn't buy. Since July I've learned a lot met some great people started doing some port work. The more I learn the more I want to do it.

i am a retired mechanic so fixing things are not new to me,, i didn't have any saws until i found this place,, thanks to AS and the people on here i now have my own shop

Homelite forum got me started ...not much $ in rebuilt Homies....so I came here for more info on orange & white saws.

I got my first chainsaw to work on by the time I started school, tore it apart at the logging camp on the doorstep, three rough cut planks spiked to the skids under the camp was my work bench. Some of my first saw repair jobs weren`t so successful but there were lots of donors from the 20 odd guys cutting in the woods. There were no repair shops for 20 odd miles around so I just kept at it and by the time I was 9 I was the camp mechanic, then the village mechanic. Sort of self taught and quick to learn from anyone with more experience than me. From saws it went on to tractors, vehicles, earth moving equipment, marine engines etc.and has stayed a big part of my life ever since.

Most everything I learned about working on saws was from this site. I was an installer mechanic in my late teens early 20's for Firestone and then a Plant Electrician for Proctor and Gamble through an apprentiship program for 10 years so have a good grasp on mechanical principles.

By doing a lot of reading and asking questions I have gained a fair bit of knowledge here quickly and still am just chipping the surface. At least I know understand the basics of how 2 cycle engines work now. Now will be working on learning tuning with and without tach once I get a tach and also have two McCullochs to work on and fix from a friend. I might try one later on tonight.

This site took me from Harry Homeowner who threw things away when they didn't work anymore to a tinkerer with CAD and a firewood addiction.:msp_biggrin:

I learned to work on two strokes. When I took my saw to the repair shop to get the carb adjusted. Waited two weeks was told that it locked up when they were checking it out. They told me that I could get a new one for less than the repair. So I picked up the saw pulled on the starter cord it pulled just fine. (Thought to myself wow this sure pulls free for a locked up motor). Bought a carb repair kit and got on the internet found a few how to videos and installed it. The saw is still running to this day.:msp_biggrin:

Not to offend, but stupidity is expensive. Reading is cheap.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Learned on my own.......

I feel I have a fairly good amount of mechanical experience from working on small block Ford and Chevy engines from when I was a teen. I still work on my 1972 K5 Blazer and other family/farm vehicles that are older. I needed a chainsaw to cut some wood to supplement my home heating system (oil heat, not cheap!), so I purchased a manual and went through my Dad's blue and white Homelite XL-12 with a 16 inch bar that we used in the 1970's. From there I realized I "needed" a larger saw and other saws with varied bar lengths for ease of use depending on the situation. I purchased several manuals, jumped in, and made the best of it. I learned that asking questions of friends with knowledge in my area and on AS is an invaluable resource tool as well. Examining parts saws can provide perspective for what to do, and not do when attempting a repair. Don't be afraid to make mistakes, but always be cautious as a scored piston and cylinder or broken case can be expensive. When in doubt, ask questions!

PS I love all saws, but larger saws are easier for me to work on as I get older. They’re more rewarding too in my opinion.

I'm a forum practitioner. I don't really work on chainsaws or even own any or go outside. I stay in my arm chair all day and read Arboristsite and chainsaw spec sheets. I'm just a troll that responds to what people say in the forums. I have done this for some 15 years and have learned what to say.

I'm a forum practitioner. I don't really work on chainsaws or even own any or go outside. I stay in my arm chair all day and read Arboristsite and chainsaw spec sheets. I'm just a troll that responds to what people say in the forums. I have done this for some 15 years and have learned what to say.

You can send that ficticious Dolmar 111i to me then. Just pretend you got a Poulan to take its place it will not matter.

She's a sweetheart given to me as a none runner by the local dealer. The High speed nozzle check valve was blown in the carb. I put a new carb in it (expensive) and it was good to go. .325 X 8 pin rim. It is very nice but doesn't run with my 346XP NE

Dolmar111i.jpg

Dolmar111i1997.jpg

First saw was a Mini Mac so soon learnt how to fix it and keep it going. Then to Orange/White and Orange. Collected every manual I could and so it began. Began collecting dead saws and fixing/selling in order to get a better one for myself. CAD comes & goes. Still do a few but get sick of people wanting things fixed as a result of abuse.

Back