where did you start?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scarygary92

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I'm new to the forum and tree work in general, I just landed a job with an awesome company. I'm 21 and just got out of the construction industry to pursue tree climbing, my boss seems to be pleased with my first week of brush dragging and chipper operation, and all in all I enjoy the work, but I was a little discouraged of a comment made by one of his climbers he asked if I'd wanna learn to climb and I said yes, he followed with: well we might teach you to climb but I doubt you'll do any climbing for us. I didn't really understand what he was trying to say but is this just something people do to test if people are really cut out for this work? Other than that how long did it take before the more experienced guys actually start to take you seriously? Why doesn't anyone in this Industry wanna teach young guys? Any tips on earning my bosses trust?

Practice and take initiative to learn new knots,rigging,or whatever your currently working at.
always be observant and do your best - for now that is all you can do.
keep on trying and your time will come.

If you want to really spearhead it and be a climber though there are training courses and other stuff but I don't know much about that and you will still need practical experience.

my 2 cents.

So odd having the internet and people asking questions like this? Seems like just another day in life, ask the guy directly what he meant? I hate anticipation and would rather confront the problem head on asap then to wait and wonder what to do. And ask random people what I should do.....:)

I think I dragged brush for almost a year before I got a chance to climb and then it was an awkward upsloping trunk while the homeowner and some guests watched :rolleyes: Thanks Allen!

Allen I'm so sorry I offended you, but I was just asking a simple question on others experiences getting into tree climbing as you know this is a niche profession and there's not a whole lot of material to be found on it, its basically just passed down and i can't say I'm looking forward to dragging brush for the next year but I don't wanna do that the rest of my life, my boss said he started climbing when he was 14 and being 21 it makes you feel a little inadequate and I'm dying to get my feet off the ground, I know its dangerous, people die etc. But really I think thats why people do it they wanna live on the edge, I'm no exception. I'd also like to add I'm not just an adrenaline junkie looking for thrills, my favorite aspect of tree work is the fact that everything we removed is recycled or put back into the earth in some way and that's what really motivates me to get into this profession.

Haha I wish I would have thought of that at the time but the crew is all good friends who grew up together I'm just some awkward kid they picked up on craigslist I don't think I'm much of a threat to them nor would I want to take anyone's job, cause I'd be pissed if some hot shot came in and made me look bad, but I guess that's why climbers have such a hard on for new guys?

Allen I'm so sorry I offended you, but I was just asking a simple question on others experiences getting into tree climbing as you know this is a niche profession and there's not a whole lot of material to be found on it, its basically just passed down and i can't say I'm looking forward to dragging brush for the next year but I don't wanna do that the rest of my life, my boss said he started climbing when he was 14 and being 21 it makes you feel a little inadequate and I'm dying to get my feet off the ground, I know its dangerous, people die etc. But really I think thats why people do it they wanna live on the edge, I'm no exception. I'd also like to add I'm not just an adrenaline junkie looking for thrills, my favorite aspect of tree work is the fact that everything we removed is recycled or put back into the earth in some way and that's what really motivates me to get into this profession.

No offense taken? And yeah Allen was my boss that had me start in front of a crowd. I wasn't hired as a climber just ended up doing it. Wasn't like I thought from the get go I was going to be climbing so I just worked, watched and learned. I wouldn't let anyone climb without knowing how to run everything on the ground and why everything about that part of the job is important too.

Dude, I didn't start climbing till I was 50. You got a lot of stuff to learn before you become a climber. Buy yourself a saddle, climb rope, and some biners. Learn how to tie knots dead right without thinking about it. Then get in a tree and learn how to get around without tearing up everything. No spikes to start with, just a rope and saddle. While you are learning all that, you also need to learn about all the different ways to make cuts with a chain saw. Learn that on the ground.
Try to get a hundred climbs under your belt, before hauling the chainsaw up with you. That way you won't look like such a noob on your first working climb with a crowd watching you.
Good luck.

What VA said, especially saw skills on the ground. Safety and accuracy.

+, Master ground op's. Lots going on and thats your responsibility NOW.
Pay attention to the rigging and learn the the tools, mechanics, limits.
Get sharp on tree biology. Even if you work just takedowns, you'll understand everything better.

Welcome to the show scary.

At 21 I wouldn't worry too much about getting an opportunity to climb, if you find a like minded pal in a similar situation you two can learn some basics and then go and hone skills in your free time, if you are super keen get amongst the competition climbing circuit. The reality of business is that a tree company either will or will not need a new climber to train depending on where they are at. As mentioned above, you can learn a fair amount from pure observation, the longer you observe and pay attention the more you will learn- mainly techniques, positioning and strategies obviously as opposed to climbing skills. Its definately way more important to be working for a company that does things the right way- as opposed to just some tree biz that will send anyone up a tree. Also investigate training courses.....

Started 2 years ago part time to supplement full time income. I wanted to really just wanted learn more about the horticulture side of the biz.

I was a brush dragger for a year or so. Soaked in everything pruning and rigging related. Out of shear desire to learn, I invested in my own saddle rope and gear to do some rec climbing. I am now climbing every Friday (still part time). If it was a hard week, the crew seem to like a fresh climber so they kinda get a break. Outside of on-job training I also study horticulture, tree ID, diseases and pruning techniques on my own out of desire to just know. I am also studying rope access rescue to become a better asset when I am on the ground. I would do schooling if I ever made the jump to full time.

In fairness thought having my full time main career made it possible to invest in gear.

Sent from Galaxy Tab 8

Don't worry about it. Dude is just throwing up some roadblocks for you. Work hard, drag that brush like a mule and move before being told. Help the climbers with their gear, fuel their saws quickly, run don't walk. They'll start letting you in bit by bit. After a few months get one of the climbers to teach you the basics on a weekend. And don't be so damned sensitive, jessus! kids these days!

Kind sir its not I who is sensitive, nothing gets to me , I just enjoy a strong dose of sarcasm! And I try to run but my smokers lungs hold me back :cry: once I pace myself though things go pretty smoothly, but I grab the big stuff my hands are never empty but its the times I can't find anything to drag I don't know what to do!!

Thanks for all the input everyone and va sawyer was that by choice, or did you just not get into the biz later on in life? And I have been honing in my chainsaw skills, 2 days i can already notch and bore cut, feels right at home. I'm gonna get the tree climbers companion and some gear and see if I can help my niebor with some trees, hes got cables holding a 20 foot branch over his house its worrying me and he cant afford an arborist to come in, I might get hurt but if I don't I think that would be a great learning experience I can watch all I want but until I'm in a real senerio my observations are useless, plus I'm not being rushed which is what causes accidents if I don't feel competent then ill know, I like to think of everything in the sense thats it purely mind over matter.

Spent almost 30 years fixing and flying planes before getting involved with trees.
Don't be thinking a bit of gear makes you safe in a tree. I really mean it when I say get a hundred climbs in trees before using a chainsaw in one.
As for skills with a saw.... know when to use a snap-cut vs a notched one. Different woods react in different ways, some will hinge nicely and some are brash. It isn't just knowing how to make a cut, it is also knowing which cut to make.
Every chance you get, try to predict to yourself which branch the climber will go after next, which cut he will use, how he will rig it. When he does different than you expect, you might ask why over lunch, or on the drive home. He might have a very important reason that you didn't see. Just don't be standing and watching the climber when you have work to do.

my hands are never empty but its the times I can't find anything to drag I don't know what to do!!

There is always something to do! Grab a rake, coil a rope, grease chipper, organize tool boxes on the truck, fill up the saws, if the climber has been cutting for a while chances are he is gonna need fuel soon so have gas and oil handy. If he is using a mini and getting into bigger wood, he is probably gonna need a bigger saw soon, make sure it's full of gas and oil and it sharp and has a saw lanyard ready to go, don't keep a climber waiting. You will understand why when you start to climb. Changing or fueling saws should be like a nascar pit stop! Also make sure a saw will start and it's warmed up before you send it up. If it won't run it better to figure that out before the climber pulls it all the way up the tree and rips his arm off trying to start it. If there are tools or saws out that aren't being used, ask some one if you can put it away of if it will be needed again. You should always be thinking ahead and remember what's next and what can you do to be ready. There is always something to do! Also if you smoke don't do it in front of the customer. Some people don't like that and it's their property not yours! Cell phones should be left in the truck where they belong too! You can check your text messages at break time. Good luck and keep working hard.

Thanks for all the input everyone and va sawyer was that by choice, or did you just not get into the biz later on in life? And I have been honing in my chainsaw skills, 2 days i can already notch and bore cut, feels right at home. I'm gonna get the tree climbers companion and some gear and see if I can help my niebor with some trees, hes got cables holding a 20 foot branch over his house its worrying me and he cant afford an arborist to come in, I might get hurt but if I don't I think that would be a great learning experience I can watch all I want but until I'm in a real senerio my observations are useless, plus I'm not being rushed which is what causes accidents if I don't feel competent then ill know, I like to think of everything in the sense thats it purely mind over matter.

I would suggest you start with something that doesn't involve a house as a possible target. Try something a little less challenging.

Latest posts

Back