Where does all the paper come from ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rainforest soil is only inches deep and then under that there is nearly lifeless clay.

Yah, but I bet there's a lot of decaying stuff on the surface. By the way, Oregon Coast Rainforest soil is pretty deep. That's why it slides so well. It is a very rich soil without much rock. That would be the central coast dirt.

Then you have to consider the elk poop, slug poop, etc. All play a part.
As do the fungi. So, now how about that chip market?

Yah, but I bet there's a lot of decaying stuff on the surface. By the way, Oregon Coast Rainforest soil is pretty deep. That's why it slides so well. It is a very rich soil without much rock. That would be the central coast dirt.

Then you have to consider the elk poop, slug poop, etc. All play a part.
As do the fungi. So, now how about that chip market?

Not been my observation. More like thin layer of soil over sandstone. That's why it slides so well. Based on spending the last 9 winters on the Siletz, Yaquina and Alsea

Anyone know where all the pulp that makes paper comes from .... One poster from Georgia was talking about how their timber industry was in bad shape and that got me to thinking ..... Since we use as much or more pap
er as we did before computers , WHERE DOES IT ALL COME FROM ????????
. Like newsprint . and computer paper ???

I think they are using old used paper to make new paper. Also they are using recycled steel and plastic more and more for building.

When I worked up in the Mineral block it seemed to me the top soil was practically non-existant. I can see where other places might seem heavy to top soil after being used to that.:D

Some of the road cuts I seem to remember cut down below the pummy and the trees grew great if they happened to get planted in these cuts. The rest that were planted on top grew horribly slow. I seem to remember the pummy was about 10 feet deep there. I'm sure it varies.

I use sunlight to convert my ham and cheese with mushrooms and peppers omelet into a productive day.:laugh:

Mr. HE:cool:

But back to the thread topic, I found this link that has a few fun facts, one of which saying we (the U.S. Southeast) supplied one fourth of the world's paper.

It says we use an average of 300 kg (660 lbs) per person annually:jawdrop: I guess if they include the normal woman's use of toilet paper, that would be believable, but 660 lbs !!!!!!

Wow, based on stumpage prices for the last decade, paper must really be cheap now:D

But seriously, trees are a renewable resource that we can manage for much more annual yield than we have at present. The industry provides jobs to many of us. Young plantations, grown just for paper, do a good job of helping with air quality. It hurts my feelings to see all this negative talk about using trees for paper. I always thought forestry was a good thing, but it seems we are becoming the evil doers now. Hey, I say find more uses for trees and logging slash, do a better job of forest management and churn out the paper so we have to grow even more:D

http://www.worldwatch.org/node/1497

When I worked up in the Mineral block it seemed to me the top soil was practically non-existant. I can see where other places might seem heavy to top soil after being used to that.:D

Some of the road cuts I seem to remember cut down below the pummy and the trees grew great if they happened to get planted in these cuts. The rest that were planted on top grew horribly slow. I seem to remember the pummy was about 10 feet deep there. I'm sure it varies.

The Pummy layer is on top of an organic layer then there's a pummy layer and it goes on like that in the road cuts. There's also a blue or purple layer that makes road builders cry for rock, if it can't be scraped off and will be used during the wetter season. I may be working up close to the blast zone this month. In that unit, trees tip over easily. We think it has to do with the loose pummy.

Nobody goes to the mineral block anymore. Too bad. It is nasty ground but trees grow well there.

But back to the thread topic, I found this link that has a few fun facts, one of which saying we (the U.S. Southeast) supplied one fourth of the world's paper.

It says we use an average of 300 kg (660 lbs) per person annually:jawdrop: I guess if they include the normal woman's use of toilet paper, that would be believable, but 660 lbs !!!!!!

Wow, based on stumpage prices for the last decade, paper must really be cheap now:D

But seriously, trees are a renewable resource that we can manage for much more annual yield than we have at present. The industry provides jobs to many of us. Young plantations, grown just for paper, do a good job of helping with air quality. It hurts my feelings to see all this negative talk about using trees for paper. I always thought forestry was a good thing, but it seems we are becoming the evil doers now. Hey, I say find more uses for trees and logging slash, do a better job of forest management and churn out the paper so we have to grow even more:D

http://www.worldwatch.org/node/1497

By far the largest percentage is in print paper. News papers, and computer printer paper (red tape), Packaging, labels, junk mail, etc etc. Ad up to way more than paper plates, paper towel, napkins and yes even toilet paper.
Naturally politicians and bureaucrats push the average way up.

There has been a fuk ton of wood cut since this thread was started and I bet there is more vegetated matter now than there was then.
Can't you hear it growing?

Latest posts

Back