Where is the DOT when this guy comes down the road ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another way would be to deputize every single driver on the road who could then pull anyone over they think is unsafe.

I do believe the world has enough Dudley Dorights already.

Ted

The guy is a rolling accident. One of my neighbors had his truck loaded like that and lost all 5 lug studs on the left rear wheel. He had to unload it before the tow truck would tow it.

That's not all that uncommon with the crap they sell us now day's. I lost all 8 lugs on the left rear of a brand new 14 k gooseneck trailer....that only had 6 k on it.
Bent both axles on that trailer and never exceeded the GVWR. They were made in China. :msp_angry:

Andy

the guy is on a side road/residential. I'll go with the assumption that he come out of the woods onto that road and never got out of the highway and never saw more than 30 mph.
It really is a scary thought of that guy hammering down the highway at 70 with the tongue skipping off the road.

Yea, I saw a guy hauling a home-made trailer filled with junk, and a rear wheel was wobbling like it wanted to fly off and kill a goose on the way to the river 200 yards away. I would have honked and signaled, but he looked like he knew it and could care less. Drove on by.:msp_biggrin:

the guy is on a side road/residential. I'll go with the assumption that he come out of the woods onto that road and never got out of the highway and never saw more than 30 mph.
It really is a scary thought of that guy hammering down the highway at 70 with the tongue skipping off the road.

Yeah, that's why he spent the time to load the tractor on the trailer...

I've been overloaded before, probably will be again. When I get nailed, I'm sure I'll deserve it. Hope this guy feels the same way, and I hope he learns to advertise better.

The question of personal liberties vs social responsibility is a neverending one, and one that has no straight answer. How much safety is enough? Who deserves a break?

Living in aus, we've gone way too far. Everything is illegal here, so nothing gets done. How many lives are saved as a result of it? Are the lives actually worth it? If we save 10 lives a year, at a cost of $10billion was that worth it? What if it was $100billion? People say you can't put a price on lives, but that's not true. The government does it all the time. They could make anything safer, at a cost. Things have to be only 'safe enough'.

I look at developing countries I've lived in and visited, and people generally have a lot more leeway, especially if they are just getting by. Times gone, used to be that the boys in blue would leave you alone if you were just honest folk on your way to work and maybe your car wasn't quite up to scratch. Times have changed!

We've all bent or broken the law. I don't think anybody here was born silver spoon in hand. Getting up out of a hole is quite a task, especially if there's nobody to give you a hand. Sometimes you've got to just fake it until you can make it. My first truck was a real pile of crap I don't mind admitting. It had more things wrong with it than right. The brakes weren't great, the suspension was shot, the chassis had a crack half way through, I had to put a new head gasket on it every couple weeks. Gauges didnt work (including speedo) and headlights often didn't either. I overloaded it more than a few times. Were there other options? It was every penny I had.

I'm glad to say those days are behind me. I scrimped and saved and bought something better when I could. I'm not out working on my truck at 2am any more, desperate to get something fixed so I can go to work the next day. When I did fix it, I'd be up a tree the next day with only a couple hours sleep, only to repeat it all the next night. I've got a bit of sympathy for anyone in that situation! You've got to admire someone who's trying to better themselves like that, instead of the easier option of just kicking back and waiting for a handout. Some folks are just built to work.

Shaun

The way the guy is loaded is a pretty common sight around my neck of the woods. We also have a saying for this kind of thing.

"Making do with what you have"

The way the guy is loaded is a pretty common sight around my neck of the woods. We also have a saying for this kind of thing.

"Making do with what you have"

If I was him, I'd be making do with that dually dumper in the last pic instead of the poor little one fitty.

The question of personal liberties vs social responsibility is a neverending one, and one that has no straight answer. How much safety is enough? Who deserves a break?

Living in aus, we've gone way too far. Everything is illegal here, so nothing gets done. How many lives are saved as a result of it? Are the lives actually worth it? If we save 10 lives a year, at a cost of $10billion was that worth it? What if it was $100billion? People say you can't put a price on lives, but that's not true. The government does it all the time. They could make anything safer, at a cost. Things have to be only 'safe enough'.

I look at developing countries I've lived in and visited, and people generally have a lot more leeway, especially if they are just getting by. Times gone, used to be that the boys in blue would leave you alone if you were just honest folk on your way to work and maybe your car wasn't quite up to scratch. Times have changed!

We've all bent or broken the law. I don't think anybody here was born silver spoon in hand. Getting up out of a hole is quite a task, especially if there's nobody to give you a hand. Sometimes you've got to just fake it until you can make it. My first truck was a real pile of crap I don't mind admitting. It had more things wrong with it than right. The brakes weren't great, the suspension was shot, the chassis had a crack half way through, I had to put a new head gasket on it every couple weeks. Gauges didnt work (including speedo) and headlights often didn't either. I overloaded it more than a few times. Were there other options? It was every penny I had.

I'm glad to say those days are behind me. I scrimped and saved and bought something better when I could. I'm not out working on my truck at 2am any more, desperate to get something fixed so I can go to work the next day. When I did fix it, I'd be up a tree the next day with only a couple hours sleep, only to repeat it all the next night. I've got a bit of sympathy for anyone in that situation! You've got to admire someone who's trying to better themselves like that, instead of the easier option of just kicking back and waiting for a handout. Some folks are just built to work.

Shaun

Your truck reminds me of several that I've had in the past. It also reminds me of a joke. Seems a Texas rancher picked up a hitch hiker and started bragging about his ranch. He said; I can leave my house at daylight & drive till dark & never leave my ranch. The hitch hiker said; Yup, I had a pickup like that one time. :laugh:
One thing that I have learned is that they can not pass enough law's to protect people from their own stupidity. :cheers:

Andy

I am almost tempted to get ahold of this guy and find out a couple things . One would be why did he think those pictures would put him in a good light to prospective customers? Another would be as others said why isn't he using the much more appropriate dually ? I think the dually might be wishful thinking on his part and the photo something swiped of the web .
I don't want to throw stones because I have definitely overloaded trucks my fair share and I am sure will at times do it again . But that guy was just ridiculous .
I also commend anybody who gets out there and busts their butt for firewood or to make a couple bucks .
There is no shame in hard work , especially if that is all that is available . But dangerous behavior like that is just plain stupid ,more so if it puts others at risk .

Last edited:
"One thing that I have learned is that they can not pass enough law's to protect people from their own stupidity."

and that's where Darwinism comes in!

I totally understand the guy trying to do with what he has. Problem is that he is operating VERY UNSAFE. That crapper of a truck wont last very long abusing it like that. The owner could have bought an older model 1 ton and been fine. The thing that erks me is a month or so ago one of our log trucks was "red flagged" due to dim lights on the pole trailer and brakes out of adjustment...plus the driver had a warrant :msp_rolleyes:. So I had to come out of the woods, to do about 20 minutes of repair, on the side of the highway just so we could get back to hauling logs! I would have loved for this derp to have driven by loaded like that. DOT pricks would have eaten his lunch! This guy has just been very lucky...his fines and repairs will be astronomical. Like mentioned earlier, this guy is working for free! Oh, and I'm sure he is insured properly for residential tree removal! :msp_rolleyes:

Last edited:
Do a Google search of run away chipper kills family in Western Pa.

That guy couldn't make it 3 miles down the road around where I live. The local police around here have all trained a patrolmen to certify as a DOT cop or whatever they call themselves. They have become total Pains in the @#%, but then again when you hear about some of the scab landscapers and fly by night excavating companies that they've put out of our area they actually have done the legitamite guys a favor. But they still are pains in the @#%!!!

Toyota with a goose neck hitch

You guys have NO idea
In the mid 80's my Dad bought an 83 Toyota 4x4 with a 22R engine. Times were tough and my Dad determined this truck would do all he needed. To accomplish this the truck needed to be upgraded with a gooseneck hitch,off roading winch,and 15/38 monster mudder tires. These accessories were farm and hunting related.
My Dad had a satellite farm about 15 miles from his primary farm/residence. The trip there involved crossing 6 hills from 200'-800' high. To feed these cattle twice weekly he would hook to a goose neck trailer and then load an 85 HP 4x4 tractor with a front end loader on the trailer hooked to the Toyota. The icing on the cake was I never knew of the trailer brakes EVER working on that trailer.
Now, if any of you have ever driven a truck like that with tires of that size you know how they handle-very poorly! On top of that low range HAD to be used to get the load moving. You can imagine how safe that was. My Dad operated this way 7 years without once having any issues that I'm aware of going thru 3 transfer cases in that time.
I'm NOT condoning these actions at all as I know what can happen.

I do think its difficult for most people that are "average" drivers to have any idea what any vehicle/driver combo can accomplish if the operator is WAY above average which obviously my Dad was. I'm sure most of you reading this feel your above average, but until you've driven in situations like this you don't really know your limitations. Before round bales we hauled square bales to the barn, one summer about 3 days into the hay crop the master cylinde burst on our 2 ton truck, rather than fix it he instructed me and my sister to drive from field to barn-up to 4 miles road driving in a manner that required no brakes. I promise you this will put 100% focus on your driving! I failed to mention our age 12 and 14, me the oldest. Fortunately that only lasted about 3 days, some things are hard to forget.

Latest posts

Back