Where should my winch go??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garfield

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have purchased a Ramsey Winch on eBay. I am thinking I want it to drag stuff to my grapple. As you can see I have no tree work to speak of now so i have been painting and fixing... I have thought about mounting it to the frame of the truck. Mounting it at the base of the pedestal. Mounting it up on the grapple back toward the operator so it would spin with the grapple. Mounting it with some type of quick attach and quick couplers on the hydraulic lines so i could move it around. Also, do I have to have a fair-lead on the winch I appreciate thoughts on this. It is utterly amazing the good ideas a person can get from the guys on here.

If you mounted it so you could route the cable under the frame to a swiveling pulley, that way it could be used from either side effortlessly.

Same as a roller fairlead, I would imagine. I would use rope instead, easier to manage.

Rope

I agree with the previous advice given, so as soon as the budget allows, you should switch to the rope. You will never switch back. I like the idea of it pivoting with the grapple if possible though, as you want to pull from as high as possible to lift the butt end, and not dig into a lawn. If you can figure out how to make it pivot with the grapple, you could use a snatch block out near the end of the boom for extra height, and maneuver the grapple to help guide it in.

Yes, exactly. Some are offered on the online auction sites, E-_ _ _ etc. as a pre-made winch rope. Stick with the special "Blue Line" thimble made just for this type rope though, as knots seriously decrease the rope strength.

Can I get as many feet of rope on the drum using rope..Seems like it'd be bigger
u can get a lil more rope on the spool than cable will allow. the rope will lay nice n tight and will be much better on the hands as you wind up. the ropes are only gettin better, lighter, n stronger as we advance. i have even seen some small cranes going with rope.

:buttkick: The rope works great, but doesn't like abrasion. If you are going to be dragging wood across the ground, go with steel. If you will be lifting the butt end off of the ground before dragging, go with the rope. Otherwise, you will be shortening the rope all the time when it breaks where it has been dragging on the ground. (If only I had known)

Steel leader

Guess I could put a steel cable for the last 10 feet. If I mount it up on the boom where it swivels and put a block out on the boom I could put steel for the length of the boom then rope the rest of the way.

If the winch is hydraulic, mount to the top end of the grapple arm , then you have total rotation. Pull load straight in-line with the arm. Plenty of hydraulic flow to hook into. One x-tra valve & some hose . Good to go ! Hydraulic or electric do some thinking , leave x-tra wire or hose near the knuckle . Good Luck with your project !!!!:clap: :clap:

Nice electric winch w/free roll. Mount the winch above the grapple. Then wire it up on the side of the boom with conduit clamps. Just raise your boom while operating your winch. Keeps the brush or etc. from digging into the ground. Again, keep the arm in line with what your dragging. Prevents excess stress on the boom. Always glad to throw out an idea.:help: :help: :help: :help: :cheers:

Mount it on a reise hitch. then you can put it any where one the truck. rear of truck front, side. where ever you want to weld a feamale end. then just run it off the battery with some long lead cables.

Mount it on a reise hitch. then you can put it any where one the truck. rear of truck front, side. where ever you want to weld a feamale end. then just run it off the battery with some long lead cables.
x2:)

Hey Brother, We are only trying to give you some options to pick from. You have to figure out what will work the best for your particular truck and how you want to operate. My suggestion to put a block/pulley out near the grapple was to keep the winch out of harms way, and still allow you to pull from as high as possible, and in-line with your grapple. You may decide that you will almost always pull from the rear, or from the passenger side, and go with the receiver recommendation, and be happy. Electrics are generally strong but slow. Hydraulic winches are a better choice if you want a faster line speed and/or continuous duty run times, IF you have the proper hydraulic pressure & flow available (which you should). Most likely you will try what ever sounds best to you, and then change or modify it to suit you as time goes by, (like most of us do), and then return here to share your hard earned knowledge. Good luck with it, and remember the cable or rope should be the weakest link in your system.

Where should my winch go?

Quick search brought me to Manufacturer site which stated the Ramsey RPH 8000 would give line speed of 50 feet per min. with 15 gal per min flow at 2500 psi.

If you could mount it on the pedistol somewhere near the controls, you would have easy access to hyd. hookup and also be able to monitor wraps on spool. Rope like amsteel much more user friendly than that 3/8s cable (wire rope) but way more sensitive to wear. You can turn it a time or two with pulleys, but don't want to leave slack laying around if vehicle is running either stationary or down the road, as the vibrations will quickly shorten the life of that "high dollar" alternative.

Latest posts

Back