where to find a 5" cylinder w/ a 3" or larger rod

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know much about flywheel type splitters. I don't know if they can handle nasty wood (meaning crotches, knotty and stringy?)

I do need a log lift and like the hydraulic type so It makes sense to me to stay all hydraulic.

Here are the speeds for the different diameter rods using a 5" bore.

All retract speeds

2.5"= 7.3" per second
3.0" 8.6" p/s
4" 12" p/s
4.25 19.8" p/s

In a perfect world with a 28gpm pump and a 5x24x4.25 cylinder cycle time would be 5.6 sec.

Ahhh, but it is far from a perfect world. With that cylinder setup, you'd need a huge valve and hose setup, or you'd just be creating pressure and heat on the return stroke. What happens is you're now trying to move the oil you spent 4.4 seconds pumping into the cylinder, back to the tank in only 1.2 seconds, basically backflowing about 100GPM if my math is right. Even with a 3" bore, you need to flow 44GPM or you're causing major restriction. That calls for at least 3/4 inch hose and fittings. For your 4.25" rod cylinder, you're looking at 1 1/2" hose, fittings, valve, etc. Real spendy, real fast.

Hydraulics class dismissed.

5x34.5x3 DA HYD CYL $519.95

SURPLUS CENTER
surpluscenter.com/sort.asp?keyword=HCD5&catname=hydraulic&PAGELEN=20&PageNo=2

check valve

My new splitter build will have a large rod, and to avoid the heat and unecessary load on the system, Iam going to install a pilot opperated check valve, Ill install a tee at base of cylinder and have the pilot/check valve there, so when return stroke is activated, the check valve will open and devert oil straight to the tank bypassing the valve body:msp_thumbup: Eric

Back