Where to find parts for a Stihl MS391

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldjonsered

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So a good friend of mine had an MS391 and told me it blew up and they offered him $50 for it on trade in at the dealer. He asked me if I wanted it because he knew I tinkered around a lot with small equipment.He said I could tear it down and check it out first to see what went wrong before I bought it...After tearing it down the piston and cylinder are damaged and will need replaced.
I looked around online and have really come across very many cylinders for the 391. The dealer said they can get me the piston kit and cylinder for $245 plus tax. I was just wondering if there is anywhere online to order parts for this model saw at a better price. The best deal I've come across so far was a whole new short block for $228. AS of right now that seems to be the best route.
Also, I guess I'll just throw the question out there while I'm making this post. Is this saw really worth my time/money to fix? I know its not a pro model so its not a highly desired saw. But for around the house and occasional cutting I need to do I figured this would be a good saw. And If I can end up under $300 in this saw after I order the new parts then I figured I'd be doing alright as that is about 1/2 of the cost of one new.

So a good friend of mine had an MS391 and told me it blew up and they offered him $50 for it on trade in at the dealer. He asked me if I wanted it because he knew I tinkered around a lot with small equipment.He said I could tear it down and check it out first to see what went wrong before I bought it...After tearing it down the piston and cylinder are damaged and will need replaced.
I looked around online and have really come across very many cylinders for the 391. The dealer said they can get me the piston kit and cylinder for $245 plus tax. I was just wondering if there is anywhere online to order parts for this model saw at a better price. The best deal I've come across so far was a whole new short block for $228. AS of right now that seems to be the best route.
Also, I guess I'll just throw the question out there while I'm making this post. Is this saw really worth my time/money to fix? I know its not a pro model so its not a highly desired saw. But for around the house and occasional cutting I need to do I figured this would be a good saw. And If I can end up under $300 in this saw after I order the new parts then I figured I'd be doing alright as that is about 1/2 of the cost of one new.
The ms391 is worth your money and effort if all your gona have in it is 300$. My dad has one with a 24 inch bar, he cuts 4 cords a year for his shop. Its heavier and slower than a pro model 60cc saw but it works.

Good saw with good performance.

Further I would ask your good friend if he knew why the saw "blew up"? THAT would be for me quite important to help eliminate further troubles with his two stroke equipment.

Back