Where to get petrol...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete M

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm like starting out on my own tomorrow. I've put stuff through a chipper for months and have just bought a chainsaw. Where do I get petrol from for it? Is there special petrol I need? I know what I'm doing because I watched my boss cut some bits of wood off a tree and I did some rock climbing a few months ago.
Thank you.

This post reveals a profound lack of understanding of the job. Tell us a bit more about the machine, and what you are planning to do with it, and we will be happy to lend advice.

Otherwise, this really sounds like someone trolling the internet just to stir up some adverse commentary.

For real. Honestly. I don't do trolling. I figured that my boss must be really rich as he has lots of equipment, so I decided that I should start on my own. Because I want to climb and do pruning in big trees I decided I needed to get myself a big chainsaw, and I found a bargain one on ebay. It's made by a company called BBT and looks just like one of those Chinese Husqvarna saws, but this one is a quality one and has a massive 62cc powerhouse of an engine. It's the biggest one for sale on ebay and only cost a few quid so great for a starting out pro like me. What's ideal is that it should be able to run a 36inch, or maybe even a 48inch bar, so when I'm in the trees I can easily reach the far out branches.

My problem started when I decided to put some gas in and start it. I went to the hardware store where I usually get my camping gas from and I asked for some 50:1 gas and the bloke didn't have a clue what I was talking about. So I came back home and thought I'd better check what you people mean by "50:1 gas" and realised that it's a mix of oil and gas.

So I went to the hardware shop again and bought a big cylinder of gas and a can of engine oil. I poured 500ml of engine oil a big jug and squirted the gas in from the cylinder and gave it a stir, but when I tried to pour it into the chainsaw I think only the oil went in and it won't start. Maybe I didn't measure right and I didn't know how long to open the cylinder tap to get 10ml of gas out.

In desperation, I phoned my boss up and pretended I was writing a project for college and needed to know what sort of gas goes in power tools. He started to laugh at me because he sussed out that I was using the internet to try and learn stuff from a bunch of Yanks. He put me right though and told me that we use petrol here and then hung up the phone. But now I'm in a quandry because I don't know what sort of petrol to get. I tried petrol from the place where cars go, carefully made my 50:1 mix (500ml of engine oil in the just then put in the required 10ml of petrol) and it still won't work. Car petrol must be the wrong sort, which is why I asked the question in the first place.

I know I can make it big in the tree business. I mean, I'm competent with tools, I went to school, I can climb rocks, I have all the necessary skills, and can make a killing by undercutting my boss on his regular jobs. I just need help working out this petrol thing.

I've got a headstart on a lot of people because I already know where to take the wood for recycling. But I don't have a truck like my boss does, so I wonder if any of you could share your experiences of using public transport. I should be able to go and forward to the recycling place by bus, and just take a couple of limbs at a time. Is it best to cut it up small first and put it in bags, or will it be ok to just lie it down in the aisle?

Thanks all for your kind help.

Pete M, C.A.

Last edited:
LOL pehaps if you cut the branches really small and just placed them all in garbage bags and left them by the kerb?

Pete M
Don't forget that a two stroke motor puts lots more gunk and carbon
deposits in to the exhaust. You will need to replace the saw's muffler
bearings every 60 days.

Don't forget to rub Mr Zogs sex wax on the bar. It will help the bar slide
and not get pinched by the tree.

mzsw.jpg

http://www.thisnext.com/item/5B6A1FD6/Zogs-Sex-Wax

Last edited:
umm....you want two cycle oil. that means it's already been ran through an engine twice. be careful tho, it's that second cycle that makes it work right for chainsaws. i don't know why, but that second trip through a new filter makes it work.

some guys are lazy, and only use one cycle oil (too much time and expense draining it again and installing a new filter), and their saws only have 30% of normal power, and my saws last 10 times longer than theirs.

once you get the two cycle oil process figured out, you'll be on top of the world.

Wow, I'm so happy that you have been able to give me some really helpful advice.

MacClay, that's a great idea about just chopping it all up really small and leaving it in garbage bags by the kerb. Trouble is I can't find garbage bags in this country. Is there a UK equivalent? I figure that I should be able to get, say, a 35ft conifer into half a dozen bags if I chop it up enough which is great as it'll save me having to lug it somewhere for proper disposal.

Glenn31792, are the muffler bearings readily available for the massive 62cc BBT saws? Are they easy to replace? Also, great tip about the sex wax. I was worried about pinching the saw as I only want to climb with the one saw with 48inch bar. The sex wax should let it pull out easily I gues even if trapped in the undercut of an 18inch limb. I was going to use Dakine fluoro wax and Zardoz NotWax, but as the suggestion for the Mr Zogs stuff has come from this group then I'll go with that.

ddhlakebound....wow, the proper way to get 2 cycle oil! Nice one. This is something else I was worried about. I've just drained the oil on my wife's car and am now going to pour it back in for another few thousand miles to get a good supply up!

I'm really grateful for the help you have given me. When I asked the question initially I was sort of expecting some sarcastic replies from people worried I was going to steal their work. You've been so much help.

Just wondering, how much do you charge for cutting down big conifers? And does it matter what sort of rope I use? I saw some blue nylon rope in the local supermarket this morning. It's about half an inch thick. Is that strong enough for safety and for lowering limbs?

And does it matter what sort of rope I use? I saw some blue nylon rope in the local supermarket this morning. It's about half an inch thick. Is that strong enough for safety and for lowering limbs?

Sure....them tree ropes are overrated anyway. When I say overrated, what I mean is.....

My brother Daryl and I were going to play a practical joke on our other brother Daryl. He'd just come home with a Yugo that somebody sold him to scrap, and we wanted to hide it from him. So we tied one of them fancy 100' tree ropes to the bumper, and the other end to a tree by the cliff behind the house. Daryl put the yugo in neutral, and we started it rollin towards the cliff.

Well, it occured to me that we might need to bring the car back up sometime, so I ran around and pulled the E-brake, then smacked Daryl upside the head. "How we gettin this thing back up?" I said. Well, he smacked me upside my head, and said, "Duh, don't worry about it.....my buddy down the road has one of them GCRS's" "What's a GCRS"? I asked. Then he smacked me again. "It's a Good Car Raising System", he said, "No worries."

So we took off the E-brake, and pushed it over. Now, that rope said it would hold over 6000 pounds, and that Yugo only weighed like 1650 pounds. The guys that made that rope must have made a mistake or lied, because when the Yugo hit the end of the rope, it snapped with the loudest "CRACK" I've ever heard.

Daryl was inside the house, and heard the "CRACK", and came runnin out screamin and yelling. He thought we'd snuck into his stash of M-80's again, and he was pissed.

My other brother Daryl calmed him down by telling him we hadn't touched his M-80's, that we were only doing some break strength testing on some ropes. It was morning before Daryl realized what we'd used as weight to test the ropes, but by then my other brother Daryl and I had already drained the (thankfully intact) oil pan from the Yugo, and were off to sell a batch of two cycle oil.

So to sum up, don't waste money on expensive ropes, you can get more and safer use from braided twine you can get for free from local farmers. Just be careful about using strands which were left laying on the wet ground for a year or so.....but that's another story.

pete, be sure to buy a crane before you buy anything else. Also, I had to order a 12ft bar to reach this one limb in the top of a silver maple the other day. if youd like i can give you a phone number to the place i got it from.. youd be surprised how much it helped. I can actually top tress from the ground now....

lmao, i love this site

By all means save whatever shavings you can from Old English Birch Bonsai Trees, (Works best if you go with the grain to make curly fries) We all know you Brits like Curly fries dont you? As you know all the Bonsai Birch trees contain an immense amount of free petroleum and this is the catalyst for your project. So Find an M-T Rubbish Disposal Container and fill to top with Old English Birch Bonsai Curly Fries Then fill to top with Peroni Gran Riserva lager Then add 10 Kilos of Sugar and .25 Kilo of yeast and cover with Rubbish Disposal Container Cover. With caution Poke a hole in tom and insert a straw with a Jumbo Super Sized Studded Condom(MAGNUM) Attached at other end as to capture Methane to operate your windmill to pump water from your cabbage patch to the ocean. After 14 days drain liquid off top of Old English Birch Bonsai Curly Fries and reserve. Take Old English Birch Bonsai Curly Fries And run thru La Machine one handful at a time then Take product and hand mix stirring not shaking with sour Goat's milk W/double yolks and blend carefuly What you will have is pure petrol For your Chinese Chainsaw. (WILL RUN LIKE A RAPED APE) No premix needed as this stuff is greasy as s+hit. And then the reserve from the top of Old English Birch Bonsai Curly Fries is used to power your mercedes tree/hauler/chipper processor vehicle at 456 Cetane. Of course you know you have to screen all the solids thru a used Jumbo Super Sized Studded Condom(MAGMUM) with a couple of pin wholes in it. This Petrol with withstand detonating up to compression ratios of 196to1 please keep us informed as your progress aspires.

Latest posts

Back