Where'd ya'll buy your Fiskars axe, what's a good price?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I have sharpened it 3 times Once was a strike that ended up in the dirt didn't think it would go on the first hit, hitting a rock that was the only time I had to work it every other time I have just cleaned it up. I am splitting on a block all the time now since then.

The metal is softer than any other axe or maul I have used and the non stick coating is just about gone but I still love the darn thing. being softer I guess thats why I can get an almost razor edge on it with a wet stone real fast.

That's odd, I would say that the Fiskars SS (old model) is harder than the conventional mauls I have. A file will bite, but noticeably less than the regular 6#. I split on a block and haven't sharpened the one I use the most in a couple of years. If I sharpen it up razor-sharp, that perfect edge won't last all that long, but so long as I don't hit the driveway, it never really gets dull. I think Fiskars in general does an excellent job with steel -- their pruning shears and whatnot that I've bought over the years have held up well.

It seems that whatever the product is, there are some who want it to be more this or more that. I've never owned a power splitter, so how a hand tool works is important enough to me, and never having spent the money for a splitter, I don't mind trying this and that looking for the best maul. So far, the SS wins. If they had one with a slightly longer handle or a slightly heavier head I'd try it of course, but the SS just has great balance. The length and diameter/taper of the handle is perfectly matched so there's very little shock, the length and weight are really well balanced so you get great snap at the end of the swing and also substantial impact. I'm with Zogger, I don't care what y'all use, I think the engineer who came up with the Super Splitter really did it right.

The local Wal-Mart stores here carry the 25 for $39.95. I thought about trying one out but im having a hard time justifying paying double over the price of a maul.

The local Wal-Mart stores here carry the 25 for $39.95. I thought about trying one out but im having a hard time justifying paying double over the price of a maul.

What maul? I just spent $30-ish for a wood-handled Collins maul at the hardware store, and it's crap. So dull and thick at the tip it won't split, head is coming loose already. My wife picked it up for me because the head flew off the maul I was using to pound wedges. I was initially a little ticked at the price -- I had thought that the fiberglass handle ones would be cheaper, but they're not much cheaper and they're even more crude in the head department. I'd have been way better off just buying a sledge hammer. If you can get a maul for $20 and you're satisfied with it, that's cool, and evaluating splitting performance is pretty subjective anyway. That said, comparing the $20 mauls I've seen and the $40 Fiskars I think you get less than half the performance for half the money.

Now, I've seen some old mauls that had really nice heads. Edge thin enough to start a split without being so thin it gets stuck, nicely flaring cheeks, nice smooth finish. If you picked one of those up at a flea market for $5 and hung it on a nice $12 handle you might make it a closer value race, but any modern conventional maul I've seen that is well made enough to hang with a Fiskars costs way more. Which puts the shoe on the other foot -- why spend $90 on a Gransfors Bruks when you can have a Fiskars for $40-50?

X25 from local saw shop for $45. 5'11"

I love the X25 for splitting kindling & smaller diameter logs.

I don't like the X25 for splitting logs that are over 12" in diameter, especially stringy red oak - for me I need an axe with a longer handle so the X27 would be perfect.

The Fiskar sure is a nice axe. It was a very nice gift to receive.

What maul? I just spent $30-ish for a wood-handled Collins maul at the hardware store, and it's crap. So dull and thick at the tip it won't split, head is coming loose already. My wife picked it up for me because the head flew off the maul I was using to pound wedges. I was initially a little ticked at the price -- I had thought that the fiberglass handle ones would be cheaper, but they're not much cheaper and they're even more crude in the head department. I'd have been way better off just buying a sledge hammer. If you can get a maul for $20 and you're satisfied with it, that's cool, and evaluating splitting performance is pretty subjective anyway. That said, comparing the $20 mauls I've seen and the $40 Fiskars I think you get less than half the performance for half the money.

Now, I've seen some old mauls that had really nice heads. Edge thin enough to start a split without being so thin it gets stuck, nicely flaring cheeks, nice smooth finish. If you picked one of those up at a flea market for $5 and hung it on a nice $12 handle you might make it a closer value race, but any modern conventional maul I've seen that is well made enough to hang with a Fiskars costs way more. Which puts the shoe on the other foot -- why spend $90 on a Gransfors Bruks when you can have a Fiskars for $40-50?

I dont remember the brand name of my maul. I bought it 6 or 7 years ago at wally world. Im not saying that it will hang with a Fiskars but it has done the job for me so far. If and when it wears out I will surely try out the Fiskars. 99 percent of my splitting is done with the splitter however the old dinosaur maul does come in handy for knocking off the rounds that occasionally get stuck on the wedge of the splitter.

I dont remember the brand name of my maul. I bought it 6 or 7 years ago at wally world. Im not saying that it will hang with a Fiskars but it has done the job for me so far. If and when it wears out I will surely try out the Fiskars. 99 percent of my splitting is done with the splitter however the old dinosaur maul does come in handy for knocking off the rounds that occasionally get stuck on the wedge of the splitter.

For your use, I'd avoid the Fiskars. It's not a kludgy tool for knocking things about, although I reckon it would handle a certain amount of it. Since 99 percent of my splitting is done by hand (the remainder with a chainsaw), even a small increase in splitting performance is worth $20. On the other hand, there have been a few guys here who have gotten a Fiskars and found themselves not running their splitters very much.

But watch out for the shipping charges from Baileys :( It seems that Amazon has a better delivered price and faster delivery.

Ken
Amazon doesn't sponsor this fine site, Bailey's does...;)

For your use, I'd avoid the Fiskars. It's not a kludgy tool for knocking things about, although I reckon it would handle a certain amount of it. Since 99 percent of my splitting is done by hand (the remainder with a chainsaw), even a small increase in splitting performance is worth $20. On the other hand, there have been a few guys here who have gotten a Fiskars and found themselves not running their splitters very much.

Yup, the Fiskar's is definitely a finer splitting tool than any "maul" I've ever used. Wouldn't want to beat it up on a piece of steel. Been holding out all year getting one ever since I got a hydraulic splitter year and a half ago. Since I split on top of a round, I know either one will do a great job for me. $40 and $50 seems to be the going price for them.

Just bought an x27 on Amazon for $49.95, free shipping, no tax collected. I'm 5'10" and split on a block. I am very glad I didn't go for the shorter handled x25. Here it stands beside the 30 year old competition (ok, the handle is not 30 years old), I should have found the money for this axe a long time ago. It is a treat to split with. I'll keep the old maul and wedges for the really nasty knotty stumps, and the occassional ground engaging work.

P1050033.JPG

The only thing don't like is that the handle is open on the end and fills up with water when it rains. I leave it leaned up against my owb.

Sent from my Dell Streak 7 using Tapatalk

i bought a x25 from baileys $40 im 6' wish i had bought the x27

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk

First time posting here, but I bought mine off Amazon for $38 and some change and free shipping. It was at the house when I got home from work yesterday and I couldn't help myself and went out and put it to work in some red oak.. all I can say is WOW this thing is awesome. I got the X25 and may spring for the X27 later on.

Last edited:
x27 at Family Farm and Home for $54
I'd rate it a 10 on a 1-10 scale. It splits amazingly well with much less effort than a maul. I bought it figuring it would be a decent tool. I was blown away by how good it works. Its amazing.

Last edited:
Have you looked at Walmart? I saw the x25 at one yesterday. How about Ace Hardware?

I looked at walmart the other day. They were completely cleaned out of anything firewood related. 1 axe, 1 wedge were all that was left of their stuff. They did have a pretty good pile of Poulans for $130 or so. :hmm3grin2orange:

I'll check the hardware store. Thanks.

I can't find any place that sells these locally. It's sad that things are getting to the point, where anything decent is mail order only.

Yes, I was just noticing yesterday that a large percentage of my purchases are via the Internet. I would like to support local businesses....IF they supported me by carrying what I want.

Ken

Yes, I was just noticing yesterday that a large percentage of my purchases are via the Internet. I would like to support local businesses....IF they supported me by carrying what I want.

Ken

MBAs---the US economy has been wrecked in part from the ridiculous notion that anyone with an MBA is a good manager and can run any company anywhere. There's no need to KNOW anything about the product or business, just be able to "manage". We have goofballs who have never used a (insert any product you can name) who run the companies making them.

Heck, look at the rape and destruction of HP for example. Or Hurricane Katrina "heckuva job, Brownie"! the idiot was a race horse manager, so that makes him qualified to run a huge scale emergency management agency..uh huh.

The Peter Principle and MBAs - welcome to a trashed economy and political system....

Anyway, local business..all you can do is ask them. Say I want to buy such and such, I can get it from you or go order it, your choice. My local saw shop started carrying fiskars after I talked them up and showed them (well, the wrench there) some vids of a fiskars in use on youtube.

Back