Where's the MS291?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brages

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Ok, about a year ago, Stihl ditched the MS170, 180 and 210, and came out with the 171, 181, and 211. By all accounts, the 211 is a sweet little saw that replaced the 210 turkey.

So what's the word on the MS290? Is Stihl revamping their cash cow? The EPA is going to make them phase it out, right?

My prediction is a lighter, smoother MS291 and a sister MS251...

Who cares!

Just kindding. Hopefully they can take some wieght off of that thing. If they do come out with one I guarantee it will be a strato. I can't see them wanting to mess with their bread and butter too much. Most guys who buy them are buying it for occasional use and don't worry as much about preformance like ASers do! Maybe air injection style prefiltering that Huskys have? Filters get dirty on that series of saw quickly.

Most guys who buy them are buying it for occasional use and don't worry as much about preformance like ASers do!

I haven't been an ASer long, but I notice a LOT of posts from occasional chainsaw users. I'm not sayin, I'm just sayin. :chainsaw:

Anyway, thanks to the expertise of a few folks here, my 290 no longer runs like a 290. Now it runs like a saw. :clap::clap:

the ms391 is already out in germany...

attachment.php

expect to see the new low-rent saws in the coming year

I haven't been an ASer long, but I notice a LOT of posts from occasional chainsaw users. I'm not sayin, I'm just sayin. :chainsaw:

Anyway, thanks to the expertise of a few folks here, my 290 no longer runs like a 290. Now it runs like a saw. :clap::clap:

I know man. I have probably 200-300 hrs behind a 290 and I was one of the guys that helped you out on the muffler mod thread and the limiter cap pulling thread. It is a good saw but better with the muffler mods right? I'm not knockin the occasional user I'm just saying that if you are on AS you are more enthusiastic about chainsaw use than the average guy that buys them. There are a lot of 290s, 310s, and 390s out there and most Stihl dealers have them. There is what like 40,000 members on this site and not all of them own 290s. So there are A LOT more out there somewhere. I don't mean to generalize, I just mean that ASers usually go above and beyond buying a saw and letting it sit in the garage until a branch falls off a tree in the yard. No harm intended just talking about ASers compared to the general public.

311 is out as well... possibly no 291 appearing at all!

from the german stihl website...

311 =59cc, 3.1kw, 6.4kg (14.1lbs)

391=64.1cc, 3.3kw, 6.4kg

:cheers:

I just mean that ASers usually go above and beyond buying a saw and letting it sit in the garage until a branch falls off a tree in the yard. No harm intended just talking about ASers compared to the general public.

No offense taken by me, for sure. I was just ribbin ya, man! :poke: :D

And I'm gathering up good used saws in trade so I'll be able to sell/trade my way up to one of Stihl's used 70cc class saws like the 044/440/441 to go with whichever firewood cutter I keep. I spent a bunch of years in the treecutting business once upon a time, and I miss that type of cutting.

She's all a work in progress, bubba. :clap:

Last edited:
311 is out as well... possibly no 291 appearing at all!

from the german stihl website...

311 =59cc, 3.1kw, 6.4kg (14.1lbs)

391=64.1cc, 3.3kw, 6.4kg

:cheers:

So they gained some weight and a little power huh?
Just looked at Stihls site and the 310 is 13lbs. at 3.0kw 390 is 13lbs at 3.2kw

Personally, I hope they keep the 290 train going for another year or three....

Was talking to my man at Stihl yesterday. The 290 will be one of the last ones to go, why, as he put it, they sell like crazy.

Fish ya see that white handle on that 391, its the same tank housing they use on the 362...

Was talking to my man at Stihl yesterday. The 290 will be one of the last ones to go, why, as he put it, they sell like crazy.

Fish ya see that white handle on that 391, its the same tank housing they use on the 362...

Tommie,

Is this the new "pro homeowner" line?

ole joat

PS: Save a 290 for Niko.

Tommie,

Is this the new "pro homeowner" line?

ole joat

PS: Save a 290 for Niko.

Not that I know of, Stihl makes Pro and they make homeowner, Pro's buy the Pro's, homeowners buy the homesowners, makes sense to me,LOLOL

Not that I know of, Stihl makes Pro and they make homeowner, Pro's buy the Pro's, homeowners buy the homesowners, makes sense to me,LOLOL

Tommie,

Am I a pro or a homeowner? How about Niko?

Can I trade my 460 and 660 for the proper homwowner saw? Please?

ole joat

No offense taken by me, for sure. I was just ribbin ya, man! :poke: :D

And I'm gathering up good used saws in trade so I'll be able to sell/trade my way up to one of Stihl's used 70cc class saws like the 044/440/441 to go with whichever firewood cutter I keep. I spent a bunch of years in the treecutting business once upon a time, and I miss that type of cutting.

She's all a work in progress, bubba. :clap:

Man your an insider now! you gotta stop thinkin like an outsider! Just kiddin man. I know you were pokin me. Just don't wanna come off as an Ahole! Emails and web posts can come off real bad sometimes even when it doesn't sound like it to the writer. Theres no tone to go off of.

Back