Where's WYK been, and what trouble is he making?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a couple of surprises. We've got about a dozen or so of each still standing. 4-5 of the Sequoias are over 6'DBH, with one at about 9'.

157849075.unQrfuKY.jpg

157849076.5hlC4YOC.jpg

Sounds like you have an interesting puzzle to solve, Wes. A clear cut makes no sense, if there's 10+ species of trees on the landing and dozens of grains and lengths and 25 buyers to argue with. Whereas selective cutting leaves marks all over the place. I'm just guessing that being an issue there.

Great trees, BTW.

I will be doing most of the thinning, and snag removal. We have volunteers to work as ranch hands for 'work abroad' experience. Though I can not use them as slaves, I have already gotten used to having a 'chainsaw squire', which is rather nice. Most are college students from the continent - and we know how hard-working college students are... We have a tractor and a few other tools, so we will be thinning, sorting, piling, then calling the mill to collect. It is basically my job to decide how to go about it. We won't ever be able to clear cut as we want most of the forest to remain intact for it's appearance on the estate. We do have several areas of blow down and of forestry that we can remove substantial amounts of timber from, though. We've loads of spruce, japanese larch, beech, and cedar. I also think one of the Hemlocks may have to come down shortly here.

If you are wondering how we have Hemlock and Sequoia, and I suspect some of the redwoods down the bottom of the forest are coast redwoods, but haven't gotten close enough to discern them yet, and I have seen a few Douglas Firs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Douglas

The second expedition starting in 1824 was his most successful. The Royal Horticultural Society[4] sent him back on a plant-hunting expedition in the Pacific Northwest that ranks among the great botanical explorations of a heroic generation. In the Spring of 1826, David Douglas was compelled to climb a peak (Mount Brown, of the mythical pair Hooker and Brown) near Athabasca Pass to take in the view. In so doing, he became the first mountaineer in North America. He introduced the Douglas-fir into cultivation in 1827. Other notable introductions include Sitka Spruce, Sugar Pine, Western White Pine, Ponderosa Pine, Lodgepole Pine, Monterey Pine, Grand Fir, Noble Fir and several other conifers that transformed the British landscape and timber industry, as well as numerous garden shrubs and herbs such as the Flowering currant, Salal, Lupin, Penstemon and California poppy. His success was well beyond expectations; in one of his letters to Hooker, he wrote "you will begin to think I manufacture pines at my pleasure". Altogether he introduced about 240 species of plants to Britain.

Howdy folks - I've spent some time with the camera today, as the weather was agreeable and I had some spare time.

The house where the serfs live - Castle on the right:
157917509.tYFyWagm.jpg

You can run your rakers very low on sweet chestnut with one of Randy's saws - this is after freeing the fence of it:

157917503.mPJA6IAm.jpg

157917504.sVI1lNTr.jpg

The slaves have removed much of the wood from the Beech:

157917512.7kt21RCj.jpg

The Castle with the farm house in the background"

157917511.fyXKQVG2.jpg

Spruce VS Sequoias:

157917506.IeGJvd8Y.jpg

157917513.Dhmt1tIr.jpg

ANd one of the coastal redwoods:

157917507.q1c4VqqX.jpg

Far as I know, they are only available in Europe. I think Clark Forestry in northern UK carry the harvester bars, but not the chainsaw bars. The chainsaw bar I had to get from Grobe in Germany. Even shipped, it cost less than the Stihl bars do here in Ireland and the UK. It's at least as stiff, and the paint seems to be epoxy; slick as snot and hard wearing. My only concern is they do their tips differently. There is a much larger gap between the body and the sprocket, which makes it lighter, but I dunno how well ti will wear. I do a LOT of bore cutting in hardwoods to keep them from barber chairing when they have a large crown, as well as bucking them up due to their sizes, and that has already killed one of my Stihl 25" Rollomatic E bars sprocket.

really........i gut the heart on most big hardwood though i do not GOL them. i do get the ES when i get stihl bars. i'm running sugi an tsumara now.....no problems with them so far. i have seen ads for iggusund in the logging magazines, i expect they will be here soon.

They are here, and have been for a while. At least harvester bars. Find a dealer for olsfors, they are the parent company of iggisund now. They should be able to set you up with what you need

really........i gut the heart on most big hardwood though i do not GOL them. i do get the ES when i get stihl bars. i'm running sugi an tsumara now.....no problems with them so far. i have seen ads for iggusund in the logging magazines, i expect they will be here soon.

Yeah, I have taken to grinding off the back corner of my teeth to help them cut more smoothly in hardwoods. Makes a big difference. I'll let ya guys know how she does. Today is a lot of small tree(12-24") clearing roads and snags etc. In one of the pics of the spruce VS sequoia you can see a spruce across the road up a ways. I have yet to remove it because the tractor was in use yesterday. It's a big healthy spruce. or was...

Picture, please. I'm always interested in trying out a new trick.

This is my first attempt. Since then I simply use a flat file at a 45* and run it a few stroke on the back. Takes a few minutes. Dunno if it would make a difference on the woods up your way, Nate. But bore cutting in hardwoods shows a lot less vibration with the cutters done such a way.

157096135.MDXr6f6i.jpg

Also, another update. Been using Maxima 927 Castor Racing oil in an attempt to keep my eyes from bleeding. The other day, while cutting beech, it smelled of doughnuts. Mmmmm...

Anywho, the equivalent of 3 gallons through it, tuned for 14,200K ish, I removed the plug to do a comp test and check the piston. Saw killed the Proto compression tester(anyone got a spare they can spare?), but when I looked through the plug hole with a flashlight, all I saw was shiny goodness with a hint of shine on top. Really impressed with this stuff so far.

Dunno if it would make a difference on the woods up your way, Nate. But bore cutting in hardwoods shows a lot less vibration with the cutters done such a way.

It might just, at that. Remember that I cut a lot of oak on the base. Won't likely make much change anything otherwise, but it's worth a shot to see if it helps.

Is that Maxima easy to get in your area over say the Stihl mix or is there an advantage?

Great pics by the way! The fiance wants to go to Ireland someday hopefully I can make that happen sooner than later.

Is that Maxima easy to get in your area over say the Stihl mix or is there an advantage?

Great pics by the way! The fiance wants to go to Ireland someday hopefully I can make that happen sooner than later.

I got a litre of it from a guy I knew up near Kilkenny. Problem is I have since moved to another county. I can get it from a German retailer on line, but then it is 33 Euro per litre. I can get Castrol Power 1 Racing 2t for 17 Euro a litre locally. I may have to go with that next batch. Stihl Ultra is hard to find here. In fact, I haven't found it yet.

Latest posts

Back