Where's WYK been, and what trouble is he making?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a litre of it from a guy I knew up near Kilkenny. Problem is I have since moved to another county. I can get it from a German retailer on line, but then it is 33 Euro per litre. I can get Castrol Power 1 Racing 2t for 17 Euro a litre locally. I may have to go with that next batch. Stihl Ultra is hard to find here. In fact, I haven't found it yet.

Gotcha!

Hey guys, mebbe you can help me. I am seeing a lot of fines get through the Stihl HD2 filter on my 044(Randy threw it in with the saw, as they weren't stock far as I recall). I used two versions of socks around the filter, use oil at the base of the filter to trap them, etc. Nothing works. I have a feeling they may be gettin in from somewhere else? Any one else have this issue? I have a feeling the base isn't sealing right. I may need to fab a rubber base and super glue it in place.

I'll look into the carb plate and the filter boss tomorrow.

Today, I was in Coumshingaun, Comeragh Mountains, Waterford. Here's some pics:

158170501.GDgF79c9.jpg

158170502.9vR8ODUP.jpg

158170504.mVEzqoBG.jpg

158170505.7ipIYK8I.jpg

158170509.zK2Ovymy.jpg

Here's the ivy I was talking about before:

158190801.mc0zgtuh.jpg

158190798.Wgv79fmk.jpg

158190799.C4HWjpQ2.jpg

158190800.F1iUjuk4.jpg

I'll take an 'after pic' of the Ash when the sun shines. It was rainy when I finished. Slow goin to make sure the Ash wasn't damaged too much. Much of it was removed by axe. You can see the line I scribed into it with the tiny MS181 we have for a guide line.

looks alot different than ash here. does the ivy hurt it? i have seen trees that look like they choked........

Definitely - it also competes with the tree for the nutrients and water in the soil, as well as growing roots into the bark itself if it can get enough moisture. I knew I was getting close to the bark when I hit roots under the ivy.

You gonna hack & squirt the stobs once you have the stem free?

It' very tight on the ash right now. I am gonna wait until the stems I've cut loose dry. Then I can pry them off a bit more to make sure there's not too many roots underneath. If I spray the ivy stumps, it will have to wait until a dry spell in the summer. Tree this old, I don't wanna chance poisoning it with run-off due to the constant rain we have this time of year. I did also plunge cut the hell out of the ivy growing up the bottom of the Ash. It should be hurting right about now.

This is the view you have if you're standing near that Ash, btw:

158078528.eZtUFqcM.jpg

That is looking towards the northern/Kilsheelan entrance to the estate(note the bridge over the River Suir in the distance there). This area of the estate has pastures leased to local ranchers.

Back