Where's WYK been, and what trouble is he making?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, other than the $%#@!!! flooding, beautiful country. One of these days, I'm gonna have to go over there and get in touch with my roots. Look up a few relatives maybe, that'l make their day, I'm sure.

Well, the storms have a LOT of trees down. I'll have photos shortly. Some of these trees are very old Oaks. It's really very sad. But I will be busy.Another sad thing is I have to wait until I replace the coil on my 281XP before I get busy, as it has no spark :(

281 has a new coil, a mild port job, and lots of solder all up in it now. She's running. I'll see how she does this next week. We have a silly amount of wood to bring in.

Here's some more pics I took this week, perusing the properties.

161755040.IBUAz39C.jpg

162557715.P0RMSjtW.jpg

162557716.d2GJT9at.jpg

162557725.f0gE9qtz.jpg

162557750.7JqThWkS.jpg

I had a bar tensioner detonate on one of our 044's on a fire last season. It didn't just strip, it took out the threads and busted the screw. I wasn't running the saw at the time so I don't know how much warning the operator had when he broke it.

Fortunately it happened after a cut where I might have dogged it in a bit too much to test the torque after slapping it back together. I pulled the saw out and noticed it was a bit sloppy. At first, I thought it might be due to not running the front spring on mine. Turned out the adjustment screw/bolt broke in half. I think it may have been due to me using an adapter and a stihl bar, and maybe had it kinked a bit when I slapped it together. Anywho, will get a new one tomorrow.

I mildly ported this one, and it likes to rev now. I added more exhaust, with more arch, than I usually do in hopes to remove a bit of compression to make starting easier, and it seems to have worked some. I'm currently also running it without the front spring and mount and outer dog. It is noticeably lighter with less vibration. With the low mount air filter system, it is basically a 288 lite.

Surprised you'd go without that forward spring. Seems a good feature.

The only advantage I see to it is structural. It actually makes the vibration worse and weighs WAY more than the springs on, say, a 390. The mount and the spring and bolt are a big chunk of metal. I mean, it is easy to notice the difference in weight when it's off.

Huh. Would not have guessed that.

Yeah, like the other huskies, it comes with 6 AV mounts anyways. So adding a 7th, directly attaching the handle to the engine chassis, is really only going to add structure and vibration. Even so, the 288 Lite went without one. When I first got this thing, I was like, "Wat a fat ass!". But removing the outer dog and that mount made a big difference. Maybe 8 ounces. I'll weigh it some time. The outer dog is thick as hell, too. It is now comparable in weight to my old 385XP. All I need now is a full wrap, really.

Another thing that makes em feel fat is they have absolutely HUGE oil and fuel reservoirs. Fill her up, and ya feel it. I only usually go about half way unless I got to be far away from my fuel or am simply bucking.

IMG_20160229_114324.jpg well, here is an update on the 30" iggesund forest R2 bar. As you can see, without a hardened solid sprocket nose there is some chain slap peening occurring just back of where the sprocket lives. This photo was taken after i cleaned it up with a file. Now she hasn't had an easy life in her defence. Loads of huge hardwood timber and ported saws take their toll on any bar. Having said that, this type of peening isn't evident on any of my other bars. But at a cost of $65 USD for a 30" bar, I am finding it difficult to complain since it's lasted an entire year.

Latest posts

Back