Which $200-$300 splitter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one of those hydronic 10 ton splitters from harbor freight. I split with an axe mual and a sledge hammer. 7 cords a year it's faster and more efficient I use the splitter once in a while for odd wood. I like to appreciate my heat.

I have had an "el cheapo" Chinese 7-ton electric splitter for a few years now and it's surprisingly good, if somewhat slow compared to using a maul/splitting axe. I prefer to use the Fiskars but had to get a splitter when I had surgery on both my hands for carpal tunnel and trigger fingers (getting old!!!). The little splitter can do most of the timber I cut and purchase (Australian hardwoods such as Ironbark and Yellow box etc) but refuses to look at 16" Bulloak (cassuarina). I just cut the odd difficult log into 8" lengths and then use the splitter or the Fiskars x27 or Isocore maul. A bloke I know who has trouble with knotty radiata pine just slices it into 6" lengths (a lot of sawdust though) and splits it. He reckons it works a treat and dries/cures a lot quicker. I looked at purchasing a used 35-ton diesel powered splitter but it was just too big and cumbersome to store or move in my suburban backyard.

I won't buy a gas powered splitter until I need to cause in my mind hand splitting is free heat still. Once you buy all these saws and splitters and wood burning equiptment how free is the heat?

I won't buy a gas powered splitter until I need to cause in my mind hand splitting is free heat still. Once you buy all these saws and splitters and wood burning equiptment how free is the heat?

That's fine if your body is up to it. Mine is starting to complain.

Even if I had to buy my wood, it would still be cheaper than paying the oil guy or power company - so it doesn't have to be free to still make good $$ sense.

Back