Which 40cc Husky is best?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm pretty partial to Husqvarna saws, and bought at 141, it was the biggest POS I ever owned, and we quickly got rid of it. I had no idea they were not made to the same standards as the other Husky saws that we own. Here's exactly why we got rid of it, for those contemplating buying one.

The first time it was fueled up, the gas cap cross-threaded, and it leaked, and required pliers to get it off.

It took apprx 20-30 pulls to get it started after sitting for a long time.

It would NOT start at all after fueling it up when the engine was really hot.

About half way thru a tank of fuel, it would start going lean at full throttle, the tank vent and fuel line were fine, never did figure that one out, (possibly overheating as mentioned above?).

It put too much oil on the bar.

Not really very powerful or fast cutting for a 40cc saw.

Wow, I always thought my 141 was a POS, but yours seems to be the king POS! I bought mine for typical homeowner chores, maybe twice a year. Then I started burning wood, a LOT of wood. That saw did 2 years duty cutting at least 15 cords per year. A muffler mod, some tuning, and a new B&C really helped. Still runs perfectly, starts on 2nd pull. I keep my Chainsaw Buddy mounted on it, it's just about perfect for that.

Now they have the 142, which I picked up and fooled with yesterday at bLowes. Completely different from my saw, just looks cheap.

I don't see a real "need" to spend 4 bills plus on a limbing saw. But a lot of the tops that I cut are smaller stuff, my 346XP (old version) really blows me away every time I take it out. I keep a 16" bar on it, it really goes through hardwood fine. If you really want a Husky, your choices are limited in the smaller saws, but the 346 is a good value at 400 dollars, plus or minus.

SawTroll - I have been looking at the 339XP on Huskys web site. My initial thoughts were two things. It appears to lean towards pro quality. Which is what I am looking for. The only other thought was that it's a new model, and many times new models have their issues. Thanks for the input. .....

It is a new model in the US, but have been around in Europe for several years,

The ones sold in the US is sold as the New Edition here - and the bugs should be gone.
They were mostly carb issues, more or less like on Stihls MS200.....

The sometimes troublesome auto decomp is gone, as well.

Latest posts

Back