Which Company REALLY Manufactures Their Own Synthetic Oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do those company's really Make their base components? Amsoil is a 100% synthetic and buys the best of base stocks to make their oils, but I dont think any synthetic manufacturer makes all their base stocks.

Short answer.
No.

AFAIK Redline source their POE's from HATCO in the US (they tend to supply the bulk of the NA market with esters)
Amsoil buy most of their PAO's from Exxon/Mobil. Don't know who they buy their esters from.
Mobil obviously make their own esters, PAO's and AN's
Motul supposedly source their esters from Total/ELF in France.

Last edited:
It looks like US Poulan Pro synthetic oil is the same as Dolmar/Makita US synthetic oil and Baileys Woodland Pro synthetic oil, all blended by Spectrum Corporation in Tennessee.

Great Information from the above post but does Spectrum Corporation blend a totally different blend for each chainsaw company bases on each companies specifications. I think the original post wanted to know if all the BLENDS are the same.
If each chainsaw maker blends something specific for their own saws it would make sense to use Dolmar oil in Dolmar saws for example. The question I have is does each chainsaw maker have specific blends that match the design of their saws or just buy the cheapest synthetic oil because all the blends are basically the same? :confused:
:blob2:

You can only derive so much info from an MSDS (not much)
All we can say with any certainty is that the CAS #'s and % quoted on the above MSDS's are the same ranges for the quoted oils. Those oils are only valid for the NA market too, it appears that Husky, Dolmar, etc use other suppliers in Europe.
I'm guessing they would tender a spec and Spectrum supply a blend they would feel meets the spec, then that would be sent to Europe for testing and Head office would then give the yay or nay on it's suitability to be sold under their label.

FWIW I don't bother with saw brand oils which are overpriced here (usually), I tend to use lubes that have race pedigree. i.e. known to work well at the absolute limits lubes are tested at, on the race tracks of the world.

so who makes Maxima 927?

Serg

I believe Maxima makes/blends all their own oils. They have about 10 2-stroke formulas with all specs and usages given on their website:

http://www.maximausa.com/

I have used the 927 blend for years without any problems, and it smells good!
I also use their 4 stroke oil in my motorcycles it is true 100% ester synthetic.

How does the "super-tech" fare against other leading brands, i.e. Walmarts house brand in both synthetic and petroleum bases. Anyone use Supertech in their saws?

Latest posts

Back