Which Company REALLY Manufactures Their Own Synthetic Oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just about every chainsaw manufacturer sells 2-stroke under its "private label". I've seen Stihl, Husqvarna, Dolmar, Craftsman, Poulan, etc.

My question is WHO is manufacturing the oil and then packaging the oil under the private label? In other words, is the Stihl Ultra the same oil as the Craftsman fully synthetic - just in different bottles?

JQ

Well, Stihl is packaged by Castrol worldwide, including bar oil.

Dolmar, including their synthetic is packaged and blended by Spectrum Corporation for North America. Have no idea who blends their stuff in Europe.

Husky ??

I believe that Mobil produces it's own synthetic oil. I like and use Mobil One Racing 2T in all my two cycle engines.

Mobil 2T is no longer being produced. It is highly respected around here so if you can find some to squirrel away then do so. It has also been debated here about 2T having a shelf life. I personally feel if you keep it in a decent environment and keep the cap on the bottle screwed on that you should be OK. We are not dealing with milk here. :)

Shelf Life - I agree

Mobil 2T is no longer being produced. It is highly respected around here so if you can find some to squirrel away then do so. It has also been debated here about 2T having a shelf life. I personally feel if you keep it in a decent environment and keep the cap on the bottle screwed on that you should be OK. We are not dealing with milk here. :)

I used close to 10 gallons of MX2T this year alone, which was over five years old. Worked fine. If I could find it again at the price I purchased, I would buy more:)

After further research...

Found the following information (quote) on www.bobistheoilguy.com:

It looks like US Poulan Pro synthetic oil is the same as Dolmar/Makita US synthetic oil and Baileys Woodland Pro synthetic oil, all blended by Spectrum Corporation in Tennessee. (http://www.baileysonline.com/msds_sheets/PDFs/wp_synthetic.pdf)

This MSDS is identical to the Dolmar one I have - I'll try and dig up an MSDS for the Poulan oil to compare.

Husky's XP oil is also blended by Spectrum, but it isn't a full synthetic. http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Husqvarna_Service_Bulletins/N0207008.pdf

Looks like Spectrum blends for almost everyone in the NA OPE market except Stihl.

Here's one for Shinny. http://www.shindaiwa.com/saf/en/_docs/msds/shin2cycle50-1.pdf

Last edited:
Amsoil does blend there oils but it comes down to your definition of production since they are taking products, mixing them and making their own product as a final result.

It looks like US Poulan Pro synthetic oil is the same as Dolmar/Makita US synthetic oil and Baileys Woodland Pro synthetic oil, all blended by Spectrum Corporation in Tennessee. (http://www.baileysonline.com/msds_sheets/PDFs/wp_synthetic.pdf)

This MSDS is identical to the Dolmar one I have - I'll try and dig up an MSDS for the Poulan oil to compare.

Husky's XP oil is also blended by Spectrum, but it isn't a full synthetic. http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Husqvarna_Service_Bulletins/N0207008.pdf

Looks like Spectrum blends for almost everyone in the NA OPE market except Stihl.

Here's one for Shinny. http://www.shindaiwa.com/saf/en/_docs/msds/shin2cycle50-1.pdf

:jawdrop: I'm being back quoted/cut and pasted from another forum !
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1437217#Post1437217

I used close to 10 gallons of MX2T this year alone, which was over five years old. Worked fine. If I could find it again at the price I purchased, I would buy more:)

That's almost 250 gal of mix,you been busy huh?

REALLY "Manufactures" ??

The question was "manufactures", not produces, as in oil wells, etc....

RED-LINE makes/blends all there own stuff. They use the absolute finest ingredients available. Check out the web-site. Better protection than bean oil, and the cleanest burning on the market. The wear measured in racing Karts is phenominal. [air-cooled!]

KLOTZ, I believe also, is in this same category.

MOTUL is another one in this "highest-grade" group.

These are all TRUE Synthetics.

There are a few Manufacturors that want to make the finest oils in production-- regardless of the cost. The above DO!

Only in America can a 100% Synthetic, NOT be a synthetic. Mobil & Castrol,
for shame... [see court case decree]

I buy my Chainsaws from chainsaw companies.
I buy my Oil from lubrication experts/oil companies.....

Make sense ?

RED-LINE makes/blends all there own stuff. They use the absolute finest ingredients available. Check out the web-site. Better protection than bean oil, and the cleanest burning on the market. The wear measured in racing Karts is phenominal. [air-cooled!]

There are a few Manufacturors that want to make the finest oils in production-- regardless of the cost. The above DO!

Make sense ?

so who makes Maxima 927?

Serg

Make sense ?

Do those company's really Make their base components? Amsoil is a 100% synthetic and buys the best of base stocks to make their oils, but I dont think any synthetic manufacturer makes all their base stocks.

Just about every private label oil company contracts an oil packager and puts their label on the bottle. One way to tell this is if there oil is tested and certified to ASTM standards. Amsoil is one of the biggest offenders. There oil states they exceeds the standards ,but never has been tested. The only thing that is for certain is they make one hell of a sticker.
ZG

It looks like US Poulan Pro synthetic oil is the same as Dolmar/Makita US synthetic oil and Baileys Woodland Pro synthetic oil, all blended by Spectrum Corporation in Tennessee.

Great Information from the above post but does Spectrum Corporation blend a totally different blend for each chainsaw company bases on each companies specifications. I think the original post wanted to know if all the BLENDS are the same.
If each chainsaw maker blends something specific for their own saws it would make sense to use Dolmar oil in Dolmar saws for example. The question I have is does each chainsaw maker have specific blends that match the design of their saws or just buy the cheapest synthetic oil because all the blends are basically the same? :confused:
:blob2:

Back