Which dealer will you buy from?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THALL10326

The Champ
Reaction score
You have two Stihl dealers the same distance from your house. You do not know either one of them on a personal basis at all, your going in each one for the first time. You are price shopping by merely asking whats the best price you will give me on a certain saw you want. Dealer 1 gives you a written quote of $875.00 on a saw that lists for $1029.95. You take your written quote and leave. You go to dealer 2 and ask him what is the best price he will give you on the exact same saw. You get a price of $970.00. You show dealer 2 the written quote you got from dealer 1 of $875.00. Now dealer 2 has decided ok, my best price to you is now $929.95. You want a better price than what dealer 1 gave you of $875.00 Dealer 2 says no way, forget it, not happening here, $929.95 is it.

Which dealer do you buy the saw from, dealer 1 at $875.00 or dealer 2 at $929.95? Remember there is a $54.95 savings on the exact same saw from dealer 1 over dealer 2.

Being Scottish i would have to go for the cheaper one:)

But I have a funny feeling theres a catch!:greenchainsaw:

I would drop off a dull chain at each dealer and tell them I NEED to have it done in twenty minutes. Which ever dealer was more eager to please would get my business regardless of price. :popcorn:

I'd buy from dealer #1, but I'm cheap.

Really, I'd ask dealer 2 why you should pay his higher price.

The only information you have so far is price. And based on all the information you have so far, buying from dealer number 2 would be a fallacy. (Because you don't have any reason in the world so far to believe that there any extra value to his higher price.)

Tough call, since customer service after the purchase is important also. Also depends if the saw will be a modded saw that voids the warranty anyway.

Just based on what you said, the dealer with the best cost. Unless I knew the service sucked there, or it was a hassle ordering parts. $55 isn't that much of a difference in the long run if I had greater piece of mind from the more expensive dealer.

With the limited "Tommy" info provided, I'd say #1. But, yes his question is loaded......and we will wait patiently for the "rest of the story".

RD

Depends on the extras--those Stihl hats seem to be pretty scarce and collectible. Seriously, what about the discussions about extras such as spare chains, oil, case, plugs, etc? And the tone of those discussions can be just as important as the prices, in light of future transactions.

Back