which hand saw do you use and why

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a Fanno for a while which was ok until i got a Silky and haven't had anything else since. If you've ever used a Silky you know why everyone uses them.

Never used a Samauri but a few other climbers i work with seem to like them.

I have one Samauri. It started well, but dulled more quickly than the Silkys I have. I really like the Sugoi and Zubat. The Ibuki is good, but has a thicker kerf so I don't like it as well.

I used mine primarily in younger cottonwoods and some Sitka spruce the Heavy Duty has Limbed about 50 trees and the Ichiban has done a bit more. They both are still really cutting well. When I ordered the first one I thot of it more as a novelty tool
After I used it the first time thatchanged . . How long do the Silky's last before they dull. ?

Last edited:
Whats a Dolly? I've used many over the years from your basic fanno to the Jap saws. Right now I use a Felco 611. I prefer a straight hand saw as opposed to the curved. I think they are all basically the same in that they all use the tri-edge technology.. The important question is how much does a replacement blade cost?

Has anybody tried the Thresher blades from Sherrill? For the price, it is tempting to replace a Silky blade...but you usually get what you pay for, and at less than 1/3 the price, I imagine it just being a waste of money. But would be open to trying. If nobody has tried, maybe I'll get one in my next Sherrill order just to give it a try.

Zubat, end of discussion!

Not so fast. I use the sugoi, and I swear by it, and I used them all. I thought the thrusher was a waste of money. Nice thing about the sugoi is it's sharpen able. I sharpen my every several weeks. I have one on my pole saw also. I hardly ever even carry a chain saw on trim jobs any more. My sugoi is always on my belt even on removals and crane jobs.
I use to use the Zubat, I have a bunch of dull ones laying around. I hate a dull hand saw. The samurai's are better the corona, but not as good as silky. A new sugoi is almost a 100 bucks now. You should learn how to sharpen them. It takes a specail file. I buy them on E bay.
i

Sugowaza serves me equally well in-tree and on-ground. :rock:

Do you find it to be too long when you are climbing?

Has anyone come up with an ingenious way to carry their saw when in the tree? I clip my sheath on my right leg pad strap . I was clipping it on the belt of my saddle but too often the chain saw strap would grab the hook on the handle and pull it half way out of the sheath. It does it a lot less with having it clipped to the leg pad.

Has anyone come up with an ingenious way to carry their saw when in the tree? I clip my sheath on my right leg pad strap . I was clipping it on the belt of my saddle but too often the chain saw strap would grab the hook on the handle and pull it half way out of the sheath. It does it a lot less with having it clipped to the leg pad.

I mostly use handsaws I made myself, the small one strapped on my right leg below the knee, the larger one on the back between shoulder blades.

I have a sugoi and a zubat, they're both great. The sugoi can theoretically be resharpened but I've never tried. You need a special file, and I can't imagine being able to get it as sharp as a new one. I just buy a new blade. The zubat is impulse hardened and cannot be sharpened. They both seem to last about the same. Then you put them side by side, the blade of the sugoi is barely any bigger, but it has a much bigger handle which you can get two hands on, and also has much more aggressive teeth. I take the zubat generally, but the sugoi is great if you know you're going to be doing a lot of sawing.

I wear it on my saddle, on the left side with the blade facing forwards if that makes any sense. I'm right handed. I short clip my 200T on the right on a petzl carritool, and my flipline is on the right also. When I need the handsaw I reach with my right hand across my body and draw it out. Be super careful putting it back in, this is where most guys get cut up and yes they are surgical, The slightest nick is a big deal and you can lose a finger or cut through a rope in the blink of an eye. When putting it back in I do not hold the scabbard, I just use my right hand to put it back in.

Shaun

Do you find it to be too long when you are climbing? ...

Handsaw (almost always Sugoi) goes on the clip on my right side. Chainsaw (if I have it) goes on the left.

I'll use the handsaw in odd, uncomfortable, up-side-down, hanging, or sideways positions - so I want it on the right where it is easier to access. If I am going to use the chainsaw, I am in a position where I have more body control, so I can get it off of the left side with no problem.

Any special tips or tricks to it? I have the file and a dull blade (another well on its way). I just haven't tried yet.

I'm assuming just keeping the angles right, gentle strokes, etc.... just like any other sharpening.

The teeth on my saws are to hard to be touched by a file. I sharpen them with emery cloth backed by a strip of steel strapping. Final hone with a knife edge sliver of hard Arkansas.

I wear it on my saddle, on the left side with the blade facing forwards if that makes any sense. I'm right handed. I short clip my 200T on the right on a petzl carritool, and my flipline is on the right also. When I need the handsaw I reach with my right hand across my body and draw it out. Be super careful putting it back in, this is where most guys get cut up and yes they are surgical, The slightest nick is a big deal and you can lose a finger or cut through a rope in the blink of an eye. When putting it back in I do not hold the scabbard, I just use my right hand to put it back in.

Shaun

I do the exact same thing, have it on the left side ....backwards...I guess, the handle faces forward so its easier to grab with my right hand. Those carritools are freakin great, have them on all of my saddles.

I go backwards left side with my handsaw as well. I tend to put handsaw back into my left hand (i am righty) to return it to the scabbard. I do this because I think its easier to be extra careful of nicking anything. I also tend to go under my tie in on my saddle so switching hands is helpful. I have nicked a couple climbing lines going over top of my tie off and since the rope is tight there it very easy to nick it. Nothing crazy but just enough that it was the beginning of the end of a spliced end. Not cool. Let me also say this about hand saws, Silky is the best. But which one? Well, I have always sworn by the Zubat and basically still do. However...I won a 100 gift card last spring for some tree gear and didnt know what to buy, so I bought a sugoi. It hasnt left my side all season. I also have a brand new replacement blade that I could put on one of my Zubats but its still in package under the seat of my truck. I have pretty big hands and that may be why I prefer the Sugoi.

It does get in the way sometimes when I'm going through tight spots... been wanting to try out the leg strap for the scabbard tip to eliminate it flopping around during manoeuvres.

This might seem odd but I usually clip the handsaw on to my left and like to pass it around behind my back when I have to switch hands, reason being lanyard and chainsaw hangs from the right & I'm 'noid of nicking my ropes.

Back