Which of these 2 limbing saws would you buy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kincade

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Looking for an all purpose smaller limbing saw and have narrowed it down to the following 2...

Makita DCS401 for $260sh at a local shop, brand new
Dolmar Ps-401 for $280ish at a local shop, brand new
Stihl Ms180 for $240ish at a local shop, brand new

I think the Makita and Dolmar are the same saw, but they seem to have a few different features (auto-decomp on the Makita).

REALLY wanted an MS-200 or 339xp, but $630 and $489 respectively are just too much for those saws for my use (casual weekend trimming my trees, etc).

Probably pick up one of these and then either a 346xp, MS260 or Ps-5100 later for a 'larger' saw.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

The makita and dolmar are the same and either is the better choice! the 401 dolmar is a very good saw!

I cant say for the first two, but I like my ms180. It's not the most powerful thing, but its nice and light!

did I mention I bought it at a yard sale almost new for ten bucks with a gallon of bar oil..... :clap:

If you are looking for a top handle a ps3410 would be good to look at! Also I would also look at the ps 350 or ps 420 in the dolmar line up!

I cant say for the first two, but I like my ms180. It's not the most powerful thing, but its nice and light!

did I mention I bought it at a yard sale almost new for ten bucks with a gallon of bar oil.....
:clap:

doh.gif
rant.gif

That's just WRONG!!!

Definitely want to stay with a rear handle for now... I only have a few willow trees on my property and the limbing will be kept to a minimum. This is mostly for cutting fallen branches and smaller firewood gathering. I think a larger saw would just be a waste and much harder to use limbing. Although that 346xp sure does look nice!

The ms180 gets bad mouthed quite a bit but for the price and weight I think it is a good buy. I just bought a ms170 and love it. It's nice to pick up after holding my 460 or 660. I would go wit the stihl.:cheers:

I think a larger saw would just be a waste and much harder to use limbing. Although that 346xp sure does look nice!
Possibly - it really depends.

As far as the weight of a saw goes, anything up to 12lbs is easy to manage. When you're dealing with small/light limbs, they can tend to snag and whip around with a saw like the Dolmar 5100 and a poorly maintained chain. The "secret" is to keep your chain very sharp. Less powerful saws are a little more forgiving in this regard. If the saw seems heavy, then use it - it will seem light soon enough.

Small saws are fun and easy to use, but you'll hit the wall pretty quickly when talking about wood diameters.

If I'm not mistaken, that's a fair markup over USA MSRP. I was thinking that was about a $189 saw.

Besides, I thought that a MS880 was a fellin' saw and a MS660 was fer limin', whadda ya want a MS180 fer?

Might be... But that's the lowest price I can find locally- $220 + tax. So that's the price of the Stihl.

LOL. 660 might be for limbing for the pros, but I'm just a measly homeowner. :)

Possibly - it really depends.

As far as the weight of a saw goes, anything up to 12lbs is easy to manage. When you're dealing with small/light limbs, they can tend to snag and whip around with a saw like the Dolmar 5100 and a poorly maintained chain. The "secret" is to keep your chain very sharp. Less powerful saws are a little more forgiving in this regard. If the saw seems heavy, then use it - it will seem light soon enough.

Small saws are fun and easy to use, but you'll hit the wall pretty quickly when talking about wood diameters.

True... I just can't see myself cutting something larger than 8" or so more than once every few years. The lighter saw seems like the one for 95% of my use.

Is the Stihl a better saw than the Dolmar? From my reading it appeared that the Dolmar was a pro-saw and the ms180 a 'homeowner' saw; but seems like many are pretty happy with it.

Looking for an all purpose smaller limbing saw and have narrowed it down to the following 2...

Makita DCS401 for $260sh at a local shop, brand new
Dolmar Ps-401 for $280ish at a local shop, brand new
Stihl Ms180 for $240ish at a local shop, brand new

I think the Makita and Dolmar are the same saw, but they seem to have a few different features (auto-decomp on the Makita).

REALLY wanted an MS-200 or 339xp, but $630 and $489 respectively are just too much for those saws for my use (casual weekend trimming my trees, etc).

Probably pick up one of these and then either a 346xp, MS260 or Ps-5100 later for a 'larger' saw.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

The 401 is a better saw but MS180's aren't bad. I have both and I'd part with the MS180 before the 401.

Don't procrastinate because 401's are getting hard to find.

I'd wouldn't pick the 5100, 260 or 346XP as their big brothers. Get more seperation in a 2 saw plan and go with 359, 361 or 6401.

Last edited:
My DCS401s have decomp buttons, not auto decomp. It is made by Dolmar(DCS Dolmar Chainsaw) and should be the same with the exception of color. They have magnesium cases, are lightweight (8.8# powerhead) and 39cc.

The Stihl is definitely one of their homeowner grade saws with a whopping 31.8cc, 15% less hp and same powerhead weight.

I have a pair of DCS401s, but am not a brand snob. I also have Husqvarna and Stihl saws, but would definitely recommend either the Makita or Dolmar over the Stihl in this case. It isn't blazing fast in 12" hardwood, but will get it done.

Why do you guys want a top handle saw for limbing? I thought that top handle saws were designed more for pros who are working from the bucket of a boom truck?
Wouldnt it make more sense to have a rear-handle saw that is in the 30-35cc range for limbing and then have something bigger as your felling saw?

Why do you guys want a top handle saw for limbing? I thought that top handle saws were designed more for pros who are working from the bucket of a boom truck?
Wouldnt it make more sense to have a rear-handle saw that is in the 30-35cc range for limbing and then have something bigger as your felling saw?

The DCS401, PS-401 and MS180 are all REAR handle saws.:dizzy:

now that I have an ms180 I rarely use my 020t. the only time it comes out is if I'm climbing.

Latest posts

Back