Which one would you get

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkiWhiz

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have been looking to get a saw in the 40-50cc size. I went to a dealer today that sells Husky's, Jonsered's and Echo's. I was wanting to check out the Echo CS400 mainly but that was the only Echo that he did not have in stock. He told me he could order me one but I would have to pay for the shipping. I didn't like the angle of the handle on the Husky's so I am not interested in them. I checked out the Jonsered CS2245, I just took back a CS2240 because I didn't care for it, not sure if the 2245 is the same just more cc's or if it is totally different beast. The Jonsered is $309.00 - $50.00 off sale = $259.00 I have another dealer that I called didn't go to yet that has these used saws for sale - Stihl MS290 $225.00 Stihl 028 $195.00 and a MS250 $190.00. Was wondering your thoughts on the mentioned saws.

Last edited:
Stihl 026 is a great saw. Used it really depends on the condition though.

if there are any home depots around stop by just to handle the CS400-they usually stock it-then buy from your dealer

if there are any home depots around stop by just to handle the CS400-they usually stock it-then buy from your dealer
There is a farm equipment dealer in the same town where I checked out the saws today that sells Echo's but not sure if he just sells them like the big box stores do or really know about them and tunes,etc. them. Going to give him a shout in the morning.

I have both the echo cs400 and a stihl ms260. The cs400 is my favorite 40cc saw, I have sold many a stihl and husky because they did not measure up to the echo, I do however have a makita 401 that gives it a run for its money. The 260 is a good 50cc saw with a 16" bar and as long as the wood does not exceed the bar lenght it performs admirable, if the wood gets any bigger I reach for a 70cc saw.

The 2245 would make you very happy over the 2240 you had! The Echo CS400 i just got i like a lot. It is leaps and bounds better than my husky 435 in power and construction. Much eaiser to start too. but may be a little small for your intentions. Maybe an Echo CS450?

Those CS400's are a lot of bang for the buck. I know it may be out of your desired price range, but I have been pretty curious about the
CS500P. Seems like a heck of a good saw that doesn't get much mention.

That is really simple to answer; None of those!

Btw, the 2245 is a much sturdier saw than the 2240, but also a lot heavier. The 2250 that basically is the same saw with a larger engine does more justise to the weight of those Things.

However, consider paying a little more for a pro quality 2252. In addition to better quality, it is lighter than the 2245 and 2250, and has more power. ;)

You could import a shindaiwa 377 (are they still available in Canada?). Or get a New,Old Stock RedMax g3800 or a new gz4500. Or get a Jonsered 2253. Or lots of other options...

I would not buy a 028 250 or 290.

I'd rather buy a used 026 260 I no nothing about echo I do know there color scheme looks cool

That is really simple to answer; None of those!

Btw, the 2245 is a much sturdier saw than the 2240, but also a lot heavier. The 2250 that basically is the same saw with a larger engine does more justise to the weight of those Things.

However, consider paying a little more for a pro quality 2252. In addition to better quality, it is lighter than the 2245 and 2250, and has more power. ;)
I get the feeling that maybe you don't care for the Stihl saws, I might end up with a Jonsered even if it is related to a Husky :msp_razz:. Thanks for the info on the Jonsered's I appreciate it.

Last edited:
I would not buy a 028 250 or 290.

I'd rather buy a used 026 260 I no nothing about echo I do know there color scheme looks cool

Whats wrong with an 028? They've cut more firewood than any other saw I can think of. As long as it has electronic ignition, I don't see much of a problem. Much better built than a 250 / 290

I have decided to get the Jonsered 2245, I want to thank all you's for your thoughts & suggestions with special thanks to Adirondackstihl and spike60.

It IS a good saw, just not a "pro" model. Which doesn't take away from the fact that there are plenty of them out there that have cut up a good deal of wood.

I'd say - not CONSIDERED pro.. yes, indeed, I agree.
BUT - having a muffler-modded 025 (1993) for several years (until I had to sell it sadly..) made me agree with this guy in the video.. respect!

Back