Which Outside Wood Burner to Buy--Shaver?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmont48

Reaction score
I live in Northeastern PA, and I've been researching this for about a month and after looking at Taylor, Crown Royal, Hawkins, Central Boiler, Mahoning, I just ordered a Shaver 165. I felt good about the decision based on their fair price, and design...thickness of steel, round firebox, grates, ashpan, blower underneath fire, etc. However, last night I read a post from someone who said he saw the shaver in person and they looked poorly made. This is a big decision for us and I don't want to make a mistake! Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated especially any input from people who own a Shaver. Thank you!!!

Jmont,

given the controversial nature of these units, I'd would only consider an EPA approved model at this point. This may save you and your family some BS down the road.
I was impressed with the Central Boiler E-Classic 2300 on all fronts, so much so that we have one sitting outside our home. We expect to have the final connections made in two weeks, and I'll keep those on this board informed as to it's performance due to my close proximity to my neighbors.:cheers:

Tony

last night I read a post from someone who said he saw the shaver in person and they looked poorly made. This is a big decision for us and I don't want to make a mistake! Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated especially any input from people who own a Shaver. Thank you!!!

Alot of the 'brand' comments are kind of like 'Ford versus Chevy', and 'Stihl versus Husky', etc. Do your research and get the features you feel are important to you. Find a dealer that is close or know that parts are available close, and you might drive around your area and see what others are using..

Although we own Hardy stoves, I did go look at a Shaver last week with a buddy. He is deciding between the 250 model and the Hardy H4 model. There is about 1K difference between the two stoves. The main reason we went to look at the stoves cause neither of us had seen them, and a new dealer was about 20 miles away. The dealer just started this year and has sold 3 already and had 7 165s in front of his shop. Typical shed design, and appears to be built like a tank. The door was 18"x18" and very well built, loved the door latch, although I did not like the two bolts holding it on at the hinge. It has an ash door in front and is forced air with a blower motor (my main two likes as yours). The back access was very open and seemed like everything was placed well. I would replace some of the stock plastic fittings with brass, and maybe add a few ball values. The fire box (very nice) was 36" deep and 36" round, with a single grate kind of up front. The chimney was really deep into the firebox, and built from heavy steel also. My dislike was the black caulking material used on top the doors and around some of the other exterior openings, might be a maintenance issue later down the road? I am used to the smoothness of our stainless finish on the Hardy stoves. Overall we were both impressed with the workmanship and prices of the Shaver stoves, it would be one I would consider owning. Keep us posted when you get your Shaver.

ps. Welcome to the AS board !!!

Last edited:
I have ordered a SHAVER and I'm waiting for the delivery. There are pros and cons in everything. People I talk to that have them enjoy the stove and the price. They say the weld are good and the stove is beefy. I think it will be a great buy. When did they say you would get your stove?

LT

My neighbor has a Shaver 165 sitting outside right now, freshly delivered. Like someone else said, lots of Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge comments to be had. He is a boiler maker by trade and was very impressed with the overall construction and the welds on the unit. They use a lot of high temp silicone around every seam / joint. To some, it may seem like poor construction, but to others (like me) very weather tight. Don't forget, it not the tin siding that make the unit, it's the guts. It seems very primitive or basic, not a lot of electronics, but I think that is to their favor. Don't get caught up in the brand names, sometimes they mean nothing. Look for solid track records, length of time in business (experience), and just plain knowledge of their product.

Like my neighbor said, some manufacturers spent a lot of money to market their product when they should have spent it on design. It's like the difference between a 100 page, 3 color owners manual from a big company and the owner manual from the Amish... Get where I am going with that?

Last edited:
I burn a freedom, coal or wood 150,000 btu ithink somewhere in that area. Their is a dealer close to you the only exp I have is my father has one and I now have one. I like mine but given the cost of fuel oil I would like any brand of outdoor burner compared to an oil furnace.

I too ordered a Shaver 165. I'm expecting it here in the next week or two.

I also went through the same thing, trying to decide which company had the best stove. I felt the Shaver was the best bang for the buck.

I looked at several different brands. I will admit that the fit and finish on the Shaver units doesn't look as refined as some other models, but I felt it was the was put together very well.

When I compared fire box thickness, shape and the amount of welds, I felt the Shaver would last longest.

When comparing prices, this made the Shaver seem even more worthy of consideration.

It might not look as fancy on the outside as a Central Boiler or Wood Master but it seemed to to "have all the right guts" as someone else mentioned.

Hope this helps but all in all I walked in your shoes and ended up with the same answer as you.

Thank you for your input!

I just wanted to take a moment to thank everyone for their input. As a new member I can see that this is a really good site and a good community of people! I appreciate it. Based on everyone's input, I feel more at peace with my Shaver purchase and I'll be sure to let everyone know how it goes!
Thank you!

I've got a Shaver 290 I'm going to fire up next week. My suggestion are as follows:

Delete the pump they supply and buy a high quality Grundfos (install it in the basement not outside!)

Replace the surface mount aquastat they supply for the fan and replace it with a good quality probe type aquastat.

Do like others have recommended and use lots of silicone to seal the domestic water coil/delete plate and then stuff more fiberglass insulation around it.

Use good quality rust inhibiter added to the water and scrape the inside of the firebox down in the summer and spray with a drain oil/diesel mixture.

It's not the prettiest, but it is heavy duty (compare weights to the CB)

hello Jmont48

good luck on your Shaver 165. keep me posted on how you like it. and how it works.

thank you
ralph

Last edited:
Forgot to mention, don't use the plastic light the send you (mine melted in 1 week) go to the hardware store and buy a nice metal one and mount that to your shaver.

Shaver OWB

I went the full monty and bought the Shaver 340, expect delivery in late September. Worked a deal with my neighbor who does trees for a living. He gets one line off the unit and in return supplies all the oak firewood I need.

I went the full monty and bought the Shaver 340, expect delivery in late September. Worked a deal with my neighbor who does trees for a living. He gets one line off the unit and in return supplies all the oak firewood I need.

Sounds like one hell of a deal. Is your neighbor going to heat his whole house, or a garage/shop? I think the 340 is about 1.5ft longer than my 290. It is a very heavy duty unit, just pay attention to the suggestions I made above. What kind of pipe are you going to bury? Whats the total SF for the heated areas? Any local issues with two houses on one furnace?

That is a killer deal. I wish I could have worked out a deal to plum my neighbor into one large unit and share the work of cutting/splitting/loading the boiler. You would need the right neighbor though.

HEY, I get my 165 on sunday Sept. 8 th. Windwalker, maybe yours will be on that truck too. Been waiting since May.

Fletcher, thanks for the tips, but lets go inside the house. Did you use a heat exchanger? If so what plate? Alot of people are not around me. I was stuck on using one, but $500.00 could go some where else. I may try runing it straigh tthrough the oil boiler:confused: Need help with that decision. I just want to do it right the first time. I went with CB's thermo-pex under ground pipe, and expect it to work great. Not triing to be cheap, just triing to keep it livable.

Well, 1 week and 2 days !!:popcorn:

can't wait.

Shaver 165

HEY, I get my 165 on sunday Sept. 8 th. Windwalker, maybe yours will be on that truck too. Been waiting since May.

Fletcher, thanks for the tips, but lets go inside the house. Did you use a heat exchanger? If so what plate? Alot of people are not around me. I was stuck on using one, but $500.00 could go some where else. I may try runing it straigh tthrough the oil boiler:confused: Need help with that decision. I just want to do it right the first time. I went with CB's thermo-pex under ground pipe, and expect it to work great. Not triing to be cheap, just triing to keep it livable.

can't wait.

I just talked to my dealer yesterday. He said my furnace will be done next week. He goes down and picks up about 4 or 5 at a time. He picks them up himself. I'll have to wait until sometime between Sept. 10th-20th before he goes to get them.

Still got lots to do before its arrival yet.

I bought a Central Boiler 10 years ago and not spent a penny on it for repairs.I feel it is the simplest one out there to operate.Just a mechanical 120v damper control.You could not ask for anything more simple.I shovel it out twice a season--winter season.What I do is usually start it up towards the end of October and svel it out as soon as we get a warm spell around xmas.So some years I may do it 3 times depending when we get the warm spell.There are so many bells and whistles on some of them they are scary......I use about 8-9 cord of pine and poplar to heat 2600 sq ft.Anybody with questions can pm me.

can't wait.

I did run a heat exchange, Flat plate 5x12 30 plate (about $330). I would not connect it directly to your furnace. I got my HE here: http://www.ccallis.com/c_c__allis_online_store.htm

Back