Which peavey...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fatarrow

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello Everyone! I would like to buy my father a new peavey for christmas. He gets log length hardwood dropped in his yard that he cust up for firewood. What length peavey would you reccomend for logs that normally will not excede 24" in diameter? Also is there a brand that you would suggets over others? Thank for the help!

I recommend the Logrite ones. The rest break. I did watch an extremely strong Amish dude bend the biggest logrite cant hook, but that is rare, the wooden handle ones broke all the time, we finally got to where we just welded pipes to them. This was at an Amish sawmill.

Peaveys - LogRite Tools LLC

Sam

I recommend the Logrite ones. The rest break. I did watch an extremely strong Amish dude bend the biggest logrite cant hook, but that is rare, the wooden handle ones broke all the time, we finally got to where we just welded pipes to them. This was at an Amish sawmill.

Peaveys - LogRite Tools LLC

Sam

Thanks! Those are the ones I was lookig at. Do you have a reccomendation on what size to get him?

Find out for sure whether he wants a peavey or a cant hook. I'd prefer a cant hook, myself, but that's just the way I work. Other people like peaveys because you can stick 'em in the ground and they stay put.

I bought my wood handled peavey in the early 70's. Still the original handle. Maybe the wood was back then?

I bought my wood handled peavey in the early 70's. Still the original handle. Maybe the wood was back then?

same here :msp_confused: got mine (60") from Bailey's back in the early '80s and am still on the original handle. I have beat this thing to death over the years! I like the Peavy for most work and use the point often to separate large rounds, pry things apart, etc.

I also have a 3.5' Cant hook and the original handle lasted until last year when I screwed up...hooked my winch line to the end to pull over a sunken log...duh, 'snap!'...dumb, dumb, dumb...:bang: :bang: should have run the line to the base of the Peavy. Oh well, hope the new handle lasts as long. I winched over a huge log a few months back with the winch line right at the log on the metal part of the tool and it worked perfectly.

Having both really comes in handy on large logs when I have a helper.

Another back saver has been the Hookeroon...love it!

View attachment 265525View attachment 265526View attachment 265527
even the Ranger liked it :p

I carry a 60" peavey in the work truck. There's no maker's mark on it but I'm guessing from all the other antique tools we have that this thing dates to no earlier than 1970. I have been using it for years and have never broken the handle. Sure has come in handy a few times.

this one bought new from barlett supply mid 60's
probly still got invoice around someplace. no, not digging for it tonite.
len 53 inch, socket 2 1/4 inch by 9 inch, dog 4 inch one piece forged.
same hickory handle.
no mfg stamp that i see (more likely, cant. ha ha)
lot a water gone over the dam since then.

View attachment 265567

Hey Philbert, finally got a picture for your peavy/cant thread from a while back.
Sorry it took so long.

Thanks for all the replies! After a little more research, I think I will get him a cant hook instead of the peavey. We aren't floating our logs down the river, only rolling them around on the ground.

Latest posts

Back