Which saw should I get?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

semichag

Reaction score
Hello everyone, thank you for taking the time to look at my post. I am looking to buy a new chainsaw. There are two models that seem to jump out at me. The MS 290 STIHL FARM BOSS and the Husqvarna 55 Rancher. It's almost impossible to make the decision on my own, but everything I've read says it's based on bias. Any help out there?

Thanks in advance.

Shane

size/type of wood and amout that you'll be cutting?..amount of money and how often you'll run your saw will also be determining factors.

Hey I live close to you, anyway I had the farmboss then the 310 and then someone let me try their 361 and it was all over. if you plan on cutting alot of wood just go with the pro saw 260, 361, 460 ect... if you would like to run any of the stihl saws let me know. maybe you can come to stockbridge or we do do some cutting in manchester from time to time. you are welcome to try any of my saws anytime!!!

just get one and spend some quality time learning how to sharpen a chain (try the carlton site), feed it properly (a bit of debate on that, but don't get hung up in the details), and you'll be way ahead of most saw users.

if you're buying new saws from saw dealers, then you'll be fine with either. they'll gas 'em up and send you out the door tuned and ready.

I would go with Stihl. I cut firewood with some friends that run huskys & their saws are smaller than my 441 Stihl so I really can't compare theirs to mine. I think either one will make you a good saw. I feel like buying a Stihl will give you more bang for your buck. I've always heard buy what you can afford. Good luck.

Hey I live close to you, anyway I had the farmboss then the 310 and then someone let me try their 361 and it was all over. if you plan on cutting alot of wood just go with the pro saw 260, 361, 460 ect... if you would like to run any of the stihl saws let me know. maybe you can come to stockbridge or we do do some cutting in manchester from time to time. you are welcome to try any of my saws anytime!!!
there's your _best_ answer.

i would say the 290 just because i have never played with a husky and i thought it was stihls #1 selling saw.

I really appreciate all of the information I'm getting from everyone. I have an old Homelite XL-101 that my grandfather and I used to use to cut with when I was younger. I got it from my grandma when she was cleaning out the garage. I remember it being a real good saw and wondered if anyone knew a good place to get replacement parts for older saws. I really appreciate all the information once again.

Shane

First of all, welcome to the site.

You are right about bias. Everyone thinks their saw is the best. The fact is, both saws you are looking at are good saws and with proper care will give you several years of good service. I have an old Husky 41 that has been a very good and reliable saw. It does all my limbing and other light work. I also have a Stihl MS361 that does all the bigger stuff and I never go to the woods without it. So far, it has been very reliable and has a healthy appetite for wood.

Go with the best dealer. Good service can make a big difference in your satisfaction with your purchase.

just get one and spend some quality time learning how to sharpen a chain (try the carlton site), feed it properly (a bit of debate on that, but don't get hung up in the details), and you'll be way ahead of most saw users.

Go with the best dealer. Good service can make a big difference in your satisfaction with your purchase.

Right there's what I would key in on.

If I let my MS460 wear the chains my buddies' saws wear you'd outcut me with either of those saws 2:1. Sharp chains are the easiest and cheapest way to get performance (and satisfaction) from your saw. I went stihl only because they're the only dealers in my area.

IF dealers weren't an issue to me I'd have never gone orange....and I'll leave that at that. ;)

I've had both Husky and Stihl for years would say six of one half dozen of the other as far as quality. For some reason I prefer the Husky, not sure if its cause of the slimmer look or what. It just seems to fit me better than the Stihl.

Waigle??? 029 or 290, the new model, is a great saw. I just sold one but is a good performer. I don't however have any experience with Huskies. Reason I sold it was I purchased a new 460... no comparison!

I've got a 290 and my brother has the 455 Rancher. We are good buddies and cut together a lot. The two saws perform pretty much identically, basically comes down to who has a sharper chain that day. We are not pro's, just heat with OWB's so we cut a fair amount of wood - about 10 cords a piece every fall. The saws weigh about the same and the cc's are within 1 or 2 of each other. I got the Stihl for $360ish, he paid right around $400. Both are decent saws for homeowners who put up a lot of wood. I would agree with the other guys and put some weight on the dealer proximity and reputability. I'd also agree that there are many better saws out there in the pro category, but I'm not sure how much more expensive they are.

Things I like about my 290 - the new gas and oil cap design (no more looking for a tool to get a stuck one open, no more fuel leaking out). The air filter comes apart so you can blow it out from the inside out. There is a plastic piece you can turn for use in really cold temps to help the engine warm up a little better - used it today and it seemed to help (today it was 6 degrees). The Husky may have all those things and more but I haven't taken a look. Good luck, better buy yourself something soon before your wife spends it all on Christmas. Around here my Mrs. takes Christmas time as a license to shop.

yes if the husky is like a jonsered (all signs point to "yes") then there's a flap in the top cover to allow warm engine air into the intake air side to keep the carb from freezing up...

size/type of wood and amout that you'll be cutting?..amount of money and how often you'll run your saw will also be determining factors.

:agree2:

Money no object? MS361 or 372XP (or 372XPW)

If you're looking at the 290 Farm Boss & 455 Rancher, then also consider the Dolmar 5100s (if you have a good dealer nearby) in the same price range. Make sure the dealer tunes if for you before you leave the store.

Some dealers will let cut test cookies out back to see if you like the saw, so take advantage of that if offered.

i thought about the 290and the 455... everyone local to me has always had good luck with Stihl and the dealer is 3 miles away... when it came to buying one i couldn't justify the extra $300 for the 361 so i bought a 310 for $20 more than the 290.. keep the chain sharp and keep it clean... the 310 is more than enough for a weekend warrior firewood hunter

go with dealer support.

I agree with the call above for the 372XP. I have had a 55 rancher for about 8 years and have done well with it as a home owner saw. When I bought my OWB I needed to step up to a bigger saw due to cutting 12-14 cords a year. My dealer let me use his own 371XP for a couple weeks and I was more than impressed. I purchased a 372XP with 24" bar. I also picked up an 18" bar as well. The 372XP with 18" bar and Stihl Rapid Super chain is a freakin beast that will outcut the 55 by 3 cuts to 1. I also bought a second 372XP that I leave set up with the 24" bar for larger stuff. The 372XP combines, power and relative light weight that makes extended use comfortable.

Back