Which Stihl chain on 455 Rancher?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLROOT

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just got a new 455 Rancher for firewood. Stihl chains are supposed to be harder to sharpen and slower to dull than the Husq/Oregon. I don't mind an extra couple minutes with a file if I can keep cutting longer. This is for the 20" bar. Right now it has the stock H80. Which Stihl chain? I Don't really have enough experience to know which chisel type I would like best.

Hey buddy, I'm from close to where you are, although I am rarely there these days anymore.

I don't know the husky 80 chain number. Hopefully someone will have the cross number to oregon or stihl.

I'm guessing it is .325. Stihl chain is the way to go imo. It is what I run the most. Just take your saw up to M&M in ashland and talk to Wayne or tim and tell them you want a loop of full chisel and semi chisel. they will hook you up without raping you. use the semi chisel (RM) on the dirty stuff and the chisel (RS or RSC)on the clean wood.

All of the 455's I've worked with run 72 links of .375" .050" on a 20" bar. I like the stihl 33rsc for clean wood and the 33rmc for dirty conditions. You will hear much negative feedback about the 455 on here but in reality they are not as doggy as they are made out to be. Its just that they are heavy for their power rating.

All of the 455's I've worked with run 72 links of .375" .050" on a 20" bar. I like the stihl 33rsc for clean wood and the 33rmc for dirty conditions. ...

Yes, RSC or RMC depending on the wood, but for a 20" bar on the 455, I would want full skip chain. :givebeer:

For an exact recommendation, I need to know the pitch and gauge of the sprocket and bar, or just do as dr. Stang said...........

Last edited:
I have a 18" LGX on mine works great, I have switched all my saws to the LGX

try to get your hands on some oregon 72LGX. cuts faster than the stihl RSC and holds an edge just as good if not better IMHO.

:cheers:

All of the 455's I've worked with run 72 links of .375" .050" on a 20" bar. I like the stihl 33rsc for clean wood and the 33rmc for dirty conditions. You will hear much negative feedback about the 455 on here but in reality they are not as doggy as they are made out to be. Its just that they are heavy for their power rating.

I totally agree!!! The 455 Rancher is a fine saw for the occasional user. Plenty of low end torque and RPM. I don't know why some would consider it heavy unless they're a wuss to begin with. Who cares if it's a few pounds over something else in its class??? If any of you can't handle a 14-15 lb. saw you shouldn't be using one anyway. Later!

If you want Stihl, use RSC or RS....

JLRoot, . Look on Husky's website for their bar & chain fitup chart. It will show their H** numbers and what gauge & pitch they are. I'm betting they're 3/8" pitch. I've used 3/8's RS& RSC(new improved version of RS) and they're extremely fast and agressive. I used to say that Stihl held it's edge longer but It seems like I touch up pretty often anyway.

try to get your hands on some oregon 72LGX. cuts faster than the stihl RSC and holds an edge just as good if not better IMHO.

Wanab, I hope you're right about LGX holding it's edge. I tried some last night and it cuts extremely fast and yet pretty smooth.

I'd be careful mixing brands like that. The husky might try to throw the chain!!

Oh wait, huskies barely have enough power to pull a REAL chain, much less throw it....

:cheers:

Just some friendly jabbing guys, don't over-react.

Thanks for the advice guys. The saw came with a 3/8. Today I bought a 33rsc3. Next time I might try the full chisel. Cut the first real wood today. It was a full 18" cherry. I was happy with the rancher. Then again I havn't run any 361's or 440's or anything like that. My last saw was a Homelite rancher so this one seems a bit more powerful. As for the brand wars, I don't buy into most of that stuff. Any brand can have a lesser product and still have a loyal following. Example -Harley Davidson pre-Evolution. Oh wait, that is another forum. The point is that I like to try things myself.

V for Vanguard

72V isn't a bad chain! A friend of mine uses 72v on his 455 and likes it. It's criticized often because of the unordinary shaped depth gauge or raker has some confused about how to lower it. But Oregon's website shows that it can be filed almost like a normal depth gauge-doesn't seem like a big deal. Anyway, it's fairly agressive and doesn't have all those annoying bumper drive links like Stihl's low kickback version.

Latest posts

Back