Which Stihl do you recommend?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff MI

Reaction score
I am looking to cut dead maple & elm with 36"- 48" trunks. I have an MS280 with an 18" bar. It's a great saw but too small for this big hardwood. Any recommendations? I am considering an MS660. Do you think that's overkill? What are your thoughts & recommendations?

it depends on how often you're cuttin' the big stuff and what you can afford...

Buy the biggest saw you can afford. When it comes to cutting the big stuff, there is no such thing as too much horsepower and too much bar length.

I think that saw would be just fine. The bigger one than that is the 880. That may be more than you want to spend. You could also get a Husky 390 or bigger. Obvously the bigger saw you got the better it would be. I personally would go with the 660 (muffler mod would help out too). I couldn't see spending $600-700 more for the 880, but it depends on how much big wood you will be cutting.

there's no replacement for displacement so that being said if you have a lot of big wood 660 is your saw don't be afraid about looking at the husky 390, 395

I am looking to cut dead maple & elm with 36"- 48" trunks. I have an MS280 with an 18" bar. It's a great saw but too small for this big hardwood. Any recommendations? I am considering an MS660. Do you think that's overkill? What are your thoughts & recommendations?

Not overkill, sounds like the right choice and dealer support is near you, neighbor.

Thanks for the info

Thank you for the input. Stihl is my choice up here. I have a local full service dealer. Husky & Jonsered dealers too far away.

Back