Which Stihl saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been an arborist for 20 years. The best saw I've ever used is a Stihl 460, period.
As a pro, I have little climbing saws, medium saws, big saws, and huge saws. If I could only have one, and I wasn't climbing, it'd be a 460, period.
Don't be lured in by the Johnny homeowners that recommend a 260, the saw is slow, vibrates, and is heavy.
The 460 is time proven, lasts forever, and is fun to run.
Cutting firewood with the 260 would be like pissing in the ocean and waiting for it to rise.
Seek out a tree service or someone with both saws and run them, you'll see.
Pro Stihl saw users only choose the MS-200, MS-440, MS-460, MS-660, or the MS-880. There aren't any pros running MS-290's. You could argue the 361 is a pro saw, but I don't want one. You could literally offer one to me for free, not interested (assuming I couldn't sell it), too small and slow.
My second choice would be an MS-440.

Mike Maas-I told him to get a 460 but he won't listen, I lke them almost as much as a 372, nice saw. The ms 200 is the best saw they ever made, 066 is pretty good too. Other Mike-like I said your back will thank you for a 460 with a 24-28" bar.

when i looked at the Swedish stihl page the weight on 250 and 260 are the same (4,9 kg ) if so, maybe the 260 is the better choice for a small saw ,,,,,,,
the 260 i looked at had heated handles and carb, a nice feature :)
especially when its wet outside ,,

I really can't say anything that hasn't been said, but I'll throw in my opinion, and that'd be a 361 and if you need a smaller saw, the 280 or the 260. If you need to go larger, the 440 or 460. I own a 361, two 44's and a 46. Each is a fine saw and fills it's niche well. I've run 28's and 26's as well, but I think the 361 is light enough and maneuverable enough to qualify as a "small" saw in terms of handling, which is why I haven't bought a 26 as of yet. I don't feel I need a smaller saw for limbing and light work. The 361 is light and comfortable enough for me to use it in this manner, but it's got the power-especially opened up- to handle light timber applications.

Jeff

Mike367 said:
Ok guys here I go, correct me if I'm wrong. I'm getting 2 Stihl saws: MS270C with 16" bar / MS361C with 20" bar. 2 axes, some wedges, A sledge hammer, spare chains, sharpening supplies. Hard hat, ear protection, chaps, safety boots, gloves. Hook for rolling logs. What else? Mike
If you plan to use smaller saw only for the limbing, I think, put a smaller bar on it 13"-14". With 16" bar 270 is rather a felling saw. For only limbing 270 is probably a littlebit overkill. The thing that I recommend to do is to replace on 270 the factory default spur sprocket clutch drum with the rim sprocket system, wich is the same with 026 clutch and drum and rim.

Sharp chain is more important than high HP number, so dont spare chains!

saws

I cut my firewood in a similar setting, though I have stopped.
I used an 034 and an 009.
This would now be a 361 and 009.
The 361 is a great firewood saw for your tree size, big as you will ever need.
Whatever you buy for a smaller saw, keep the size down. Truthfully, the 009 was the perfect limbing saw for me. At the end of the day, I would cut complete smaller trees with it. You will size what you cut with it accordingly.
Near the same size, a 180 and 210. I you want more power, the 250 is a great choice.
And if the budget allows, go with a 200, and smile all the time. :)

Although I don't have one,I have operated a 460.Plenty of power,nice saw.The closest I have is an 048,same cubes and power.If I could only have one saw,this would be the size range.You can install a 7 tooth and pull a 32" bar for larger needs.In a matter of minutes,change to a 20" and cut firewood to your hearts content,quickly.

For 18 - 20" work I would also suggest the 361, have used them and they are nice saws. 460 is a great saw for a commercial operation, but can't see homeowner dropping $700.00 - $800.00 on a part time saw. Can't comment on the 026, I don't have anything smaller than the 361 stihl except for top handled 200, but I would like to get a rear handled 200 set up with a 16" bar.

pinus said:
Sharp chain is more important than high HP number, so dont spare chains!

Sorry pinus, I`m not buying into that. The relationship between sharp chain and horsepower for a felling saw is symbiotic. You need both.

I don`t consider the 270 any sort of true felling saw, and furthermore, why buy anything other than the most horsepower that you can get on a given chassis? The price gap between the 270 and 280 isn`t that great. Now if only one model is available, the choice is obvious.

BTW, how do you pronounce your name? Is it like pine us, pin us, or peen us?
We had a similar name related conundrum here when Mange form Sweden signed up. As you may know, mange is a nasty viral dermatitis that dogs sometimes get. Turns out that he`s a good guy and didn`t know this.

Russ

Mike367,

Reading into your list of essential needs I see "two axes". Does this mean that someone else is going to be cutting with you, and hence the need for two saws? Two people working together when in the woods is always an excellent idea.

So if I`m correct that the saws and supplies are for a team effort rather than one large saw for you to fell with and one smaller saw for you to buck and limb with, I can begin to understand how you`ve chosen two saws so close in weight, although not close in power. I still don`t recommend the combo of the 270 and 361, especially the C models which cost more and in my opinion add more aggravation than safety.

If the 270, which is overkill for limbing, is to be used by someone less powerful than yourself, which I`m assuming based on this model being about a pound lighter than the 361, why not give this person all of the power they can have for that weight, ie; the 280?

If your need for the 270 is limbing and bucking small stuff and you want a lightweight saw, the 250 is cheaper and lighter and just as durable. You won`t miss the advertised .335 hp that the 270 has over the 250.

On the other hand, if you want lightweight and more jam, take a good look at the ms260. The Stihl specs currently list it`s hp as being 3.2 though it used to be listed at 3.5. I doubt that Stihl lowered the output of this model, more than likely they adjusted the published specs downward to make the 270 and 280 look more appealing. The 260 stands on it`s own with an almost revered reputation. Most guys looking at buying one already know what to expect and probably don`t even look at the specs. I can tell you from first hand experience that the 260 cuts just about on par with the 280. You can take that to the bank.

If your referrence to "two axes" meant splitting mauls, don`t let anyone talk into settling for axes in lieu of true splitting mauls. Splitting mauls are worthy of their own discussion.

I wouldn`t put much stock in what maasholieo saws, He needs monster saws because he doesn`t know how to sharpen a chain, lol! You should have seen the video where he almost bucked his leg off!

Russ

what you really need to do is buy all three :D

361, 260 and 460 are all great saws. don't have latestest 361. but got 034 super, 026 and 046.

totally agree with earlier comments about if funds are not an issue and your only buying one saw. get a 361. it's an excellent firewood saw with enough guts to take down anything your describing.

since I got my 046, almost never use 034 super. I'll use 026 w/16in bar for little handy jobs and pull out 046 w/20in bar for the rest. MS 460 with 25in bar comes out for larger cuts.

After having read this thread, I recant my first post. I think you should skip the Stihls; find a husky dealer, and get a 372xp and a 346xp. In addition, you'll need more than $2500 spending money if you plan on visiting this forum often. You will want to buy more chain saws, this kind of chain as opposed to that kind of chain, this kind of bar rather than that kind, and so on, mostly things you never would have thought of if you hadn't come here in the first place.

TreeCo said:
A rear handled MS 200 because I want one and a MS 361 because I've always wanted to try one.

Those would be two fine saws for a wood lot owner.

If you are a big, strong manly man I suggest a MS260 and a MS460.

Dan

I have the same logger profile, and am really happy with the above mentioned choice.

Anyone who has been on here for any length on time knows how Mike Maas feels about 50cc saws. That is his opinion and I respect Mike enough to know that he is not just blowing hot air!

Having said that I think a 460 is slight overkill for someone only cutting firewood under 12"-14".

If I am bucking up wood over that size then perhaps a 460 would be used.

I am of the opinion that lighter is better and I see no reason why a 260 or saw of similar size would not make a good firewood saw.........stock or modified!!!

jokers said:
Sorry pinus, I`m not buying into that. The relationship between sharp chain and horsepower for a felling saw is symbiotic. You need both.

I don`t consider the 270 any sort of true felling saw, and furthermore, why buy anything other than the most horsepower that you can get on a given chassis? The price gap between the 270 and 280 isn`t that great. Now if only one model is available, the choice is obvious.

BTW, how do you pronounce your name? Is it like pine us, pin us, or peen us?
We had a similar name related conundrum here when Mange form Sweden signed up. As you may know, mange is a nasty viral dermatitis that dogs sometimes get. Turns out that he`s a good guy and didn`t know this.

Russ

Dull chain will not work in any saw, you know it as well ;)
Here, the felling of trees larger than 25" is rather exception than trivial, so all the work from felling to limbing is usually done with the single compromize saw with 15-16" bar. That saw usually is from 45-65 cm3 class.
260-270-280. I´m talking about the 270 because I know this saw as I know 026 with I´worked too. I´m using the basic configuration of it, 270 (3.5HP) without QS, without keyless chain tensioner and without decompression valve and I´m satisfyed with it. For me it is better than was 026 which had strong vibration. 270 or 280? If you need a littlebit more HP, probably, a littlebit shorter intervals between fuelings and carry a larger fuel containers you can get 280 or something more powerfull (take this as a joke, not more).
Now, if I need to by a new saw, probably, I will try Oleo-Mac or Dolmar.

About the pinus ;) take it is as the genera of pinus, surely not as pin us.
v.

i agree with Pallis get a 346 & 372 ,, love both of mine, though i more often use the 346 plenty of power for all the trees i cut ,, and the 372 well i had too try one cause everybody here said it was a good saw ,,and it is ,, to me its a monster !!
:)

My guess is that pinus , as in pine-us would be correct, as that is the correct latin name for the genus that encompasses the pines.

Compulsive Dissorder

I like the comments about what this site will do to you. I was a fairly happy "Harry Homeowner" living on a couple of wooded acres with a Stihl 290. After running into this site I now have a PP372 a little Dolmar 401 and think that I need something to fill in the gap. Did some volunteer clean up work after Katrina and one of my friends said "I guess the average homeowner really does need a souped up 70cc saw with a 24" bar". Still makes me laugh. You guys cost me alot of money!!

Latest posts

Back