Which system to buy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl Livin

I DON'T EVEN BURN WOOD
Reaction score
I have been looking at getting a brush cutter for the cabin and at home but found that a interchangeable system may suit my needs better as it would be nice to have a pole saw and edger and even get a new string trimmer to eliminate having 2 trimmers. Now which one to buy??

I found a echo pas26 with power head pole saw broom edger tiller and hedge trimmer for 750. Don't need broom hedge or tiller so could sell those and get the brush and string trimmer heads and the extension. Or I have looked at get the stihl km110r and add the pole saw brush and string trimmer and extension and edger. Are there better systems or does anyone have any feed back on this one. Wife already gave me the go ahead as she too likes the idea of having this system for around the house since she can't raise her umbrella on the deck as there is a branch in the way and the side walks and driveway need to be edged BAD.

Thanks for your input.

I have been looking at getting a brush cutter for the cabin and at home but found that a interchangeable system may suit my needs better as it would be nice to have a pole saw and edger and even get a new string trimmer to eliminate having 2 trimmers. Now which one to buy??

I found a echo pas26 with power head pole saw broom edger tiller and hedge trimmer for 750. Don't need broom hedge or tiller so could sell those and get the brush and string trimmer heads and the extension. Or I have looked at get the stihl km110r and add the pole saw brush and string trimmer and extension and edger. Are there better systems or does anyone have any feed back on this one. Wife already gave me the go ahead as she too likes the idea of having this system for around the house since she can't raise her umbrella on the deck as there is a branch in the way and the side walks and driveway need to be edged BAD.

Thanks for your input.

I have the Stihl KM 85. It's the older/real 2 stroke version and like it a lot! If you need maximum power then Stihl is the only way to go. My kombi has 1.3hp which is fully sufficient for my needs. And yes I have used a blade on it and cut countless times knee high undergrowth, used the saw on countless up to thigh thick branches. Of course it ain't the fastest but I'm in no hurry. What is really fantastic is the possibility to take it apart and put it into the trunk of my car. I have a few properties that are a few 100 miles apart to take care of. Each area has a nice real brushcutter that I use for the general lawn / field and forest maintenance. The Stihl always comes along because everywhere I have trees to take care of, etc. Actually it is the tool that my wife loves using for lawn care with a string head. She usually goes only about 2/3 throttle but sometimes she's out in the thick stuff going full power without any mercy. She then get's this look in her eyes..... I just stand back and let her do it because I learned that if I come with the big boys she just gets angry, something about being equal, I don't quite understand because she doesn't like when I cook! :msp_tongue:
I was actually as lucky as you are. I went to a store and bought the engine and brushcutter attachment on sale. 1/2 year later I came home with the chainsaw attachment more or less sneaking in.... well all she says is why didn't i get the hedgetrimmer attachment while I was there?! Sometime good things happen in life! :D

There are a few who have similar systems on the market. Quality wise I doubt there are major differences in the upper class models. As far as I know there are Dolmar=Makita, Echo=Shindaiwa, Efco=Oleo Mac, Husqvarna and Stihl
I would think more in the "real 2 stroke", "Stihl 4 Mix" and "real 4 stroke" class. The only one with a true 4 stroke is Dolmar as far as I know. Real 2 stroke are a few. I really enjoy my starting my Honda 4 stroke brushcutter every time, so easy no yanking! There is a difference in power delivery. 2 stroke is kind of "explosive" while 4 stroke is kind of "diesel like" not as responsive but when running just as powerful.
Then there is the problem of getting all the attachments you want. Not all have the same amount of attachments. I think stihl has the most but you will have to check.

I have the following extensions chain saw, extension, hedge trimmer and brushcutter straight shaft. I want to add the blower but actually I don't really need it.

Good luck!

edit: I forgot do yourself a favor and ingore the el cheapos! I tried one out once ... what a cheap bunch of .....

We moved to all Stihl small equipment about 2.5 years ago after running exclusively Echo pro line tools for about 3 years. We had so much carb trouble with anything over a year old and our local shop charges damn near as much as a new tool to fix it, which lasted only a few months before needing another new carb. This was on multiple machines and really hurt productivity.
So we auditioned Shindawa and Red Max, as well as Stihl and we ended up going with Stihl as the string trimmer seemed a lot stronger.
Well we now run about 30+ pieces of Stihl equipment daily.

As to your question the Kombi system cost a few $ more which is why we went with the Echo system a few years back, but as far as durability and flat out doing the job reliably, we won't ever go back.
WE have both the 90 and 130 Kombi power heads - we use the 90s with straight shaft trimmers, the 130s are for sidewalk edging (the straight is a lot easier to edge with than the bent shaft, we own both but the curvy girls sit at the shop), the angling hedge shears, the rototiller (kicks serious butt at prepping raised flower beds, anything too small for my track based boxer and 4' tiller, I use the Kombi), the extension shaft rocks for tall hedges with the shears.

The bed redefine is just that it cleans up a nice edge, but cannot be used for making new edges and sucks mightily in wet conditions :(
Pole saw, I have never tried, my climber just doesn't want one, he is not shy about telling me what climbing saw or saddle to buy, but wants no part of a pole saw, sorry can't help there.

Also run BR600s for backpacks, the 4 gallon backpack sprayers, a silly little handheld leaf blower that rides the fert rig to blow off sidewalks, and 8 chainsaws from 192tc to 066.
Dave

Jonsered GC2128C. List price is now $219.95 down from $259.95. 28cc. Lots of power. Has most of the popular attachments. I've run it with the hedge trimmer, pole saw, edger and trimmer attachments. Powerful enough to perform like a dedicated unit, but with the interchangeable attachments. Only down side is that it's a little heavy, although the one I have comes with a harness that helps a lot. Starts every time and keeps going until I whooped.

Can't speak to the other Mfgs.

One thing I will say in favor of the Stihl Kombi-System is all the attachments are very well made and extremely durable. The attachments such as the tiller and power broom are easy to disassemble and replacement parts can be ordered if not in stock to completely rebuild them to the original standards.

Take Care

Stopped at the dealer today to talk about a saw for something going on else where but did get prices on the kombi system PH and attachments. Wife looked at them and said NO way are you buying used for those prices. She also said order it up. God I am blessed to have her. Didn't have much time to check them out but have to pick up the auction saw Saturday so I will play around with them. He sells stihl husky and johnnie so I get great help all at one stop.

So which road are you going venture Stihl or Husqvarna/Jonsered? Or can you answer that only after extensive fondling!?!

:hmm3grin2orange:

So which road are you going venture Stihl or Husqvarna/Jonsered? Or can you answer that only after extensive fondling!?!

:hmm3grin2orange:

So I've narrowed it down to the stihl km 110 r or the km 130 r. Also will be purchasing with it the brush cutter string trimmer edger pole pruner and the extension. The 110 with all the listed attachments will put me at 970 but for 30 extra dollars I can get the 130. Can anyone tell me what b&c options are available for the pruner? I think I'll be happy with either choice.

So I've narrowed it down to the stihl km 110 r or the km 130 r. Also will be purchasing with it the brush cutter string trimmer edger pole pruner and the extension. The 110 with all the listed attachments will put me at 970 but for 30 extra dollars I can get the 130. Can anyone tell me what b&c options are available for the pruner? I think I'll be happy with either choice.

Spend the extra $30.00 :msp_thumbup:

I have and like the 110. On a purchase of $1000, you are looking at a 3% price increase to get the 130 powerhead. You will get quite a bit more than a 3% power boost with the 130. Kind of silly not to go big if you are already spending that much.

I'm hoping since the prices are OTD prices I can get him to upgrade me to the 130 without any extra cash spent. A couple weeks back I bought a bg56ce from him and we are buying a ms261 for a benefit auction from him on Saturday as well. He is a great guy to deal with unlike these big name dealers around here. He's the old small town kind of dealer.

I did it

Saturday I had to pick up a new 261 for a live auction for a benefit on the 8/24 and while I was down there I bought myself a new km 130 r. Added the brush cutter with the string trimmer head to save some cash also added the straight edger pole pruner with extension and even the cultivator. Still have to go pick up the extension and cultivator next Saturday so ill post pictures after that. In the last month I've boughten this system and bg56ce blower. I guess CAD doesn't include just chainsaws but now I can finally say I have it.:help: Also told him as soon as he can get the 261c ill be in to buy that as well.

I was looking to get an extra chain or two for the pole saw but the dealer said they don't make the non safety chain in .043. If this is true I know I can get it in .050 but can anyone tell me the bar number for a 12 inch bar 3/8 .050. Thanks

Obregón 90S is non safety semi chisel .043 gauge 3/8 low profile chain. It doesn't really cut any faster than 61 PMMN. Good luck!

Back