which to get

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justintimemoto

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
im new here..
but what saw would be better to get a 385xp or a 395xp...........and
just wondering what the priceing would be and how big of a bar can be put on them

im new here..
just wondering what the priceing would be and how big of a bar can be put on them

Either would be good are you milling? I like my 395 but never run
a 385 they also have a 390 my saw has a 36" on it but is recommended up to 42" and some say will pull larger. I really don't have a use for much over 36"
maybe every once in a while but can make do with the short bar for now!

are you logging? cutting firewood? just want a big saw? working flat ground? hills? how big of trees are you cutting? species?

yes

are you logging? cutting firewood? just want a big saw? working flat ground? hills? how big of trees are you cutting? species?

Yes....what are you doing....that will give us a better idea on what to tell you....:greenchainsaw:

I will say it like this, no matter what you are doing both saws will be much heavier and bulkier then the 372, put more snuce in your line up and get the 395. Then you can put on whatever bar you want without worry. I have many hours on all three saws, get the 395 and forget it. My brother just bought a new one last week with a 42" on it. It will put a smile on your face with any bar.

With pricing I will throw out an educated guess at $850 and $950 respectively depending on where you buy.

As far as your bar question, you could probably go up to 48" or so with the 395, we pull 42's and 36's mainly with our's. Mostly cutting hardwoods.
The 60" bar stays on the 3120.

I would say you wouldn't want to be much over 36" on the 385. It's a great saw I just don't really see much need for anything between the 372 and 395 and we have them all. 26 saws total.

I run a 24" on my 372 and a 24" or 36" on my 394. If I could only have two saws for everything that would be it.

Happy shopping!

Last edited:
I will say it like this, no matter what you are doing both saws will be much heavier and bulkier then the 372, put more snuce in your line up and get the 395. Then you can put on whatever bar you want without worry. I have many hours on all three saws, get the 395 and forget it. My brother just bought a new one last week with a 42" on it. It will put a smile on your face with any bar.

As far as your bar question, you could probably go up to 48" or so with the 395, we pull 42's and 36's mainly with our's. Mostly cutting hardwoods.
The 60" bar stays on the 3120.

I would say you wouldn't want to be much over 36" on the 385. It's a great saw I just don't really see much need for anything between the 372 and 395 and we have them all. 26 saws total.

I run a 24" on my 372 and a 24" or 36" on my 394. If I could only have two saws for everything that would be it.

Happy shopping!

unless you are milling what in the world are you cutting??? flush cutting stumps?? I've cut some big trees in IL and i cut cut pretty well any of them with a 24" but i've got a 36" and could make do with a 32". so what in the world do you need a 42" for? if the trees are that big there then i need to migrate!!:cheers:

Sillogger, the difference is we are flush cutting stumps and falling big trees in yards where it is definitely to your advantage to have a saw that will reach all the way through in one shot. Can't afford error, mistakes, or lost time.

Logging is different, you know, like you said you can make due with a 24" most of the time. You could do that around here too. It's just that some of those yard trees get some big girth and the stakes are a little different.

Those long bars also come in handy when cutting bundles of slabwood. You can really make time.

By the way I have seen your work on this site and would like to say thanks for your input and pics, you do a great job.

Sillogger, the difference is we are flush cutting stumps and falling big trees in yards where it is definitely to your advantage to have a saw that will reach all the way through in one shot. Can't afford error, mistakes, or lost time.

Logging is different, you know, like you said you can make due with a 24" most of the time. You could do that around here too. It's just that some of those yard trees get some big girth and the stakes are a little different.

Those long bars also come in handy when cutting bundles of slabwood. You can really make time.

By the way I have seen your work on this site and would like to say thanks for your input and pics, you do a great job.

wasn't trying to razz you or anything...and after i looked at your sig i figured that you were doing tree removals by the saws that you had..yea i can relate to the long bars cutting the slabs..i work at a sawmill when it is too wet for me to log and i cut up bundles of boards at times...and it makes life alot easier if you got a bar that will go all the way through them.

I walked a patch of timber the other day and marked some trees..and if I get to cut them there are a couple red oaks i'm gonna have to get some pictures of....one of them might be a personal biggest...it doubles off about 12 ft up..and it is prolly close to 7' on the stump....i'm betting it is hollow in the bottom tho...but if i cut them i'll get pics

Yeah, bring it on, I would love to see some pics of that beast. Did I sound razzed? Was it the inflection in my writing? lol

Pics would be sweet, 84" is a heck of a tree. Especially a hardwood around these parts. You are probably right about being hollow if its that size and out in the woods. The biggest I have seen cut would probably be around 72", though my dad cut an 111" Elm before my time.

Do your thing and stay safe man.

Last edited:
Yeah, bring it on, I would love to see some pics of that beast. Did I sound razzed? Was it the inflection in my writing? lol

Pics would be sweet, 84" is a heck of a tree. Especially a hardwood around these parts. You are probably right about being hollow if its that size and out in the woods. The biggest I have seen cut would probably be around 72", though my dad cut an 111" Elm before my time.

Do your thing and stay safe man.

nah, u didn't sound razzed..i just wanted to make sure that u didn't think i was. the biggest that i've cut was 77" and it was solid. if i cut these trees im gonna get pics..and a definite measurement

im new here..
the 385 390 or 395 are all great saws. theve all been around a while and ive owened one of each. each one hasits place just depends on what you aredoing withit. my saws usually have a 24inch bar on them the longest bar i have is a 36inch i dont get used to much but when i need it any of these saws will pull it. also i like the feel of a385 or390 better than 395 but when i get into bigger trees i like the 395 has huge torque and you can really feel the power. I hope this helps you some.

Last edited:
lol

wasn't trying to razz you or anything...and after i looked at your sig i figured that you were doing tree removals by the saws that you had..yea i can relate to the long bars cutting the slabs..i work at a sawmill when it is too wet for me to log and i cut up bundles of boards at times...and it makes life alot easier if you got a bar that will go all the way through them.

I walked a patch of timber the other day and marked some trees..and if I get to cut them there are a couple red oaks i'm gonna have to get some pictures of....one of them might be a personal biggest...it doubles off about 12 ft up..and it is prolly close to 7' on the stump....i'm betting it is hollow in the bottom tho...but if i cut them i'll get pics

He!!.....just get pics of the whole dayum job....lol We love pics.... That'll be a nice one to drop. It'll prolly split when it hits the ground though.:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

He!!.....just get pics of the whole dayum job....lol We love pics.... That'll be a nice one to drop. It'll prolly split when it hits the ground though.:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

yup...one side of it is leaning hard one way..and the other the other way...im not even sure how to drop it yet(didn't study it) hopefully it will stay together and not try to go smasholly on me and my saw!!:cheers:

tree

yup...one side of it is leaning hard one way..and the other the other way...im not even sure how to drop it yet(didn't study it) hopefully it will stay together and not try to go smasholly on me and my saw!!:cheers:

Sort of what I was thinking..... It'd be too tall to rip it then fall them seperatly............Have fun..lol:cheers: :greenchainsaw:

Sort of what I was thinking..... It'd be too tall to rip it then fall them seperatly............Have fun..lol:cheers: :greenchainsaw:

i was thinking of the ole standing on the roof of the skidder trick....but i haven't decided yet..gotta get all the paperwork done for the job and make sure im cutting it first

im new here..

i am going to be buying a 372XP as soon as i get enough money to get it. Trying to sell two guitars and an amplifier to get some money to put towards it.

im new here..

I have a 395. Great saw. Little over-kill for the average firewood cutter, But you might be like me and have a need for a saw that big. The saw I use the most id a 2171 though!

Latest posts

Back