Which to Port - 372XP or 372XPW

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WACutter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok saw builders who really know Huskys, I have a question:

If you were going to buy a new 372 to build, which one would you choose, an XP or XPW? I am not interested in building any other saw. I have a bunch of saws, and have been cutting for years. I have always used stock saws, except for adding a dual port muffler on a 650 460, or 046 mufflers on 440's. It looks to me that if I want to buy a new 372, I should do it this year.

I have an 8 year old 372XP that runs well, and a more recent 372XPW. I do notice a slight difference in that the XPW seems to do better buried in bigger wood or with a 32" bar fitted.

This would be my first foray into modded saws, and I am considering something mild. It won't be used as a race saw. More power and longevity would be the goal.

So, which would you choose from the two? Is the 75cc XPW better or worse than the 71cc XP. Is there any difference?

I am also assuming that there is no functional difference between the XP and the Jonsered 2171, just in case I decide that I can live with the straight handle bars and splashy red paint!:cheers:

I milled and ported a brand new xpw this past spring and it pulls a 32" bar with a 8 pin sprocket extremely well. I may just buy another one.

If you go with a Jonsered, you will not have the 75cc option.

Yeah, it's a shame that Jonsered doesn't offer the 75cc's on their wrap model. They are nice looking saws though. I think that MAG58 should get a sales commission from Jonsered for all of the 2171's he's helped to sell with his nice pics!

I have to try out that straight handle sometime. The 372 is one of my favorite saws ever.........

I like the straight handle, but it is all preference. I would never tell anyone which to buy, just tell them to handle both.

I'll do it then...I'm telling you to buy the straight handle! :D

There...I said it! It had to be said...I said it!

372XPW is a great workhorse but…

I believe ED has said the 372xpw is quote: “not a cookie cutter like a 372xp”. Something to consider anyway if competing.

Back