Which trees for fence posts?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 on black locust. I got some fence posts here of locusts. The barbed wire is almost rusted through, and I still can't push the post over.

Here's another vote for Black Locust. If there is a downside to Black Locust its would be the hardness of the wood. Driving nails or staples in it, especially after its seasoned, can be a real pain.

Here's another vote for Black Locust. If there is a downside to Black Locust its would be the hardness of the wood. Driving nails or staples in it, especially after its seasoned, can be a real pain.

Can't beat locust but as mentioned above get it in the ground and fencing attached while its still green , otherwise you will be fighting it attaching your fencing . Burn any seasoned locust that you harvest in the process but the green stuff cant be beat for fence post period ..

+1 on black locust. I got some fence posts here of locusts. The barbed wire is almost rusted through, and I still can't push the post over.

Made my operational money ( for cutting firewood) in Ohio selling locust posts to farmers. Got $2 a piece for 8fts 3"-6''. Kept me going. Used my old 44 Husky and 032 Stihl. Some farmers said they could get 50 yrs out of them!

I'm not sure if there is any around there, but Tamarack is also a very popular wood for fence posts.

thanks for the info. I knew they were called post oak for a reason. We call hedge or osage orange bois d' arc in Arkansas.

Eastern white cedar is the local choice for both posts and rails, many are 100 years old.Cedar is not the best structurally I know, but it acts more of a mental barrier for cows and sheep.

I'm not sure if there is any around there, but Tamarack is also a very popular wood for fence posts.

that is just about number one here but only because B. Locust is not availablen any quantity. Tamarack will last longer than any of the other 'needle' variety woods but doesn't hold a candle to locust or hedge.

I pulled a 6x6" locust post from in my basement. It ws set in very, very wet dirt. Had to have been there over 20 years by te time I bought the place. Only detioration didn't go in over 1/4" on any suface.

Harry K

Black locust is probably the best (just make sure you take the bark off!)

The "old wisdom" about when to replace a black locust fence post:

When you put it in, put a flat rock on top of the post. Every year, check the rock. When the rock has deteriorated, then start worrying about the post :msp_biggrin:

Ken

Last year, when I was scrounging dead wood to help us make it through the winter, I found a lot of locust tops in my woods, left over from the logging 8 years prior. None of it showed any sign of rot, except for the hollow center that is so common with those trees. Most of the oak laying around is worthless, unless it was propped off the ground and in decent sunlight. But even the locust laying on the ground was rock-solid and ready to go straight into the stove, with nary a hiss to be heard. I have a blowdown snag I'm going to winch down and cut up, I bet I get more than a cord out of it.

Latest posts

Back