white pine price per board feet?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keep in mind that prices will vary significantly from region to region depending on a lot of different factors. In my area (western Virginia) white pine prices have been on the low side for the last several years.
Grade 1logs delivered to the mill are currently bringing around $275/ thousand bf.

no white pine here but yellow pine 300 a thousand if over 300ft average.

Its crazy the prices I'm getting. 700 per 1000BF, 500 per 1000 bf? It seems people are way high. Plus they want extra for delivery. I'm thinking between 240 -300 for White pine. I'm not sure where some of these guys are getting their numbers from?

Keep in mind that prices will vary significantly from region to region depending on a lot of different factors. In my area (western Virginia) white pine prices have been on the low side for the last several years.
Grade 1logs delivered to the mill are currently bringing around $275/ thousand bf.

I was told by some loggers that's about right. However, I just bids from 2 guys at 700 and 500 per 1000. I got a log broker telling me market value is half that. I also got 2 other guys that are going to start cutting telling me 255 per 1000 bf. But at 700 and 500 i'll hold off. That's 2 high.

Penn Late Winter January-March 2013
$/thousand
Northwest White Pine 14 23 32 (6) 29 (1) 29 (1) 29 (1)
SouthWest White Pine 68 160 252 (5) 216 (1) 0 (0) 0 (0)

from: http://extension.psu.edu/natural-re...r-market-report/reports/2013/2013-1st-quarter

blue stain, heart rot, #3 zip at mill.
a good local forester cruise for scale + grade will help you.
maybe export log are in demand, forester should know.
mill scaling helps mill.

talk is easy, cruise tally sheet by good forester you paid is reality.
500, 700 1000/Mbf more like red oak SELB

Last edited:
*ahem*

Sometimes we do computery stuff too so the tally sheets aren't so cryptic. We're not neanderthals, you know.

my reply to the op was not intended to slight in any way the value of a op paid forester to cruise his timber. Quite contrary, I thought what I wrote suggested the quotes he was getting should be reality checked by a speadsheet from a forester cruise that he could easily see value of stand in volume and quality.
what is the neanderthal stuff coming from ?
Lee

Penn Late Winter January-March 2013
$/thousand
Northwest White Pine 14 23 32 (6) 29 (1) 29 (1) 29 (1)
SouthWest White Pine 68 160 252 (5) 216 (1) 0 (0) 0 (0)

from: http://extension.psu.edu/natural-re...r-market-report/reports/2013/2013-1st-quarter

blue stain, heart rot, #3 zip at mill.
a good local forester cruise for scale + grade will help you.
maybe export log are in demand, forester should know.
mill scaling helps mill.

talk is easy, cruise tally sheet by good forester you paid is reality.
500, 700 1000/Mbf more like red oak SELB

Thanks. But those number are confusing to me? If I buy logs at a log landing whats market price?

I typically buy logs in linear feet. Not board feet. If you find a log that is 24 inches at the butt 42 feet long and great quality and straight. They go from 4.30 to 5.00 a linear foot. I never calculate board feet.

I typically buy logs in linear feet. Not board feet. If you find a log that is 24 inches at the butt 42 feet long and great quality and straight. They go from 4.30 to 5.00 a linear foot. I never calculate board feet.

That would only work for logs that are of uniform size and quality. Otherwise, there are too many variables to reasonably purchase that way. Looking at board-foot volumes allows deductions of any size due to defects, damage, etc. Also, volume as a measure of "how much" allows for easy conversion between different species and products. Cubic or board-feet, no matter, volume just makes more sense. You don't store 'em by laying them end-to-end, right? Linear isn't a good way to think about logs.

what is the neanderthal stuff coming from?

That's me making fun of me. Pay no mind to the tree nerd behind the curtain.

Last edited:
Penn state timber report numbers are fairly universal.
Wouldn't know how to translate them into linear log value.

I can see the numbers but I'm not familiar with what they mean? I just need to know what the price per board foot is for a white pine, logs at a log landing? or somewhere I can put the logs on a truck? Sounds really simple but its not.

of course its easy to overpay by the thousand if you short scale or step over a log here or there, cull some merch, etc.

thats why its as much about relationships and trust as it is numbers.

Latest posts

Back