Who has (long time) experience with the Ryobi 10532?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7sleeper

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hey AS

I have the posibility to aquire a Ryobi on sale 30% off(155€~210$). I have read a lot in the search function, but there is no description of long time results on it's use. I am wondering how you guys, after the craze approx. a year ago, are still happy with the saw. Have you used it alot or just for a short time. Has it stood up to your expectations? What have your expectations been?

I know that getting a new saw is always a good idea but it is not only for me but for my FIL who is an old Stihl Contra or 07 fellow. So it shouldn't fall apart after a little rougher use. For more use I have my Dolmar 5001,Solo 644&Stihl180 team. I donot live near my FIL so it is my intention to leave it at his place so I always have a saw there and donot need to always take my saws with me.

A new 180 costs between 280-350€ if you can find one. As far as I have understood the AV on the Ryobi is a little spungy, but are there any other defects?

Thanks for your help,

Hey AS

I have the posibility to aquire a Ryobi on sale 30% off(155€~210$). I have read a lot in the search function, but there is no description of long time results on it's use. I am wondering how you guys, after the craze approx. a year ago, are still happy with the saw. Have you used it alot or just for a short time. Has it stood up to your expectations? What have your expectations been?

I know that getting a new saw is always a good idea but it is not only for me but for my FIL who is an old Stihl Contra or 07 fellow. So it shouldn't fall apart after a little rougher use. For more use I have my Dolmar 5001,Solo 644&Stihl180 team. I donot live near my FIL so it is my intention to leave it at his place so I always have a saw there and donot need to always take my saws with me.

A new 180 costs between 280-350€ if you can find one. As far as I have understood the AV on the Ryobi is a little spungy, but are there any other defects?

Thanks for your help,

Hi the craze was do mainly because of the quality of the powerhead and the price. The price you describe is not as attractive.

I was lucky to get one that was new old stock for about 130 US. I had to change out the bar and chain but nothing else. I will tell you that although the power head is excellent (made in Japan) and the saw will last a very long time, the plastic is chicom junky and for the money you are spending I think you might want to spend a bit more and get the Stihl it should be a little smoother even if it is less powerfull.

Mine is a ~$120 (including shipping) REMAN. I've had it for almost a year now, and I'm satisfied in general.

I used it for about 3 hours today clearing brush from the lakeshore.

Biggest problem is the fuel line length is still too long. I keep shortening it, but still can't utilize all of the gas in the tank. The tank is very small also, so you spend a lot of time walking back to the truck for more gas.

The saw is light, well balanced, relatively powerful for a small saw and starts well. What more can I ask for?

Alan

I have two,,liked the first so much got a second..
refurb,$120 delivered,solved all problems for $1.35.
do a search,,hundereds of posts on that saw..
re-do it and you will love it..
heres one of mine in 12 inch red oak with a 16 in bar and real chain..

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6xXIzr2na84&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6xXIzr2na84&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Hi the craze was do mainly because of the quality of the powerhead and the price. The price you describe is not as attractive.

I was lucky to get one that was new old stock for about 130 US. I had to change out the bar and chain but nothing else. I will tell you that although the power head is excellent (made in Japan) and the saw will last a very long time, the plastic is chicom junky and for the money you are spending I think you might want to spend a bit more and get the Stihl it should be a little smoother even if it is less powerfull.

I am not sure you were aware that the Ryobi was half price brand new compared to the Stihl 180 brand new! A Stihl 211 starts at 350€~470$! That kind of casch has to be earned before one can spend it on a spare unit that will be used occasionally.

I have done a search. There just isn't a lot on longterm happiness/disappointment of the saw. Most of the threads are based on short term experience. => My Question on long term experience. But you sound very pleased with yours! So that is quite encouraging.

Thanks for the feed back so far! :clap::clap:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6xXIzr2na84&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6xXIzr2na84&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I'd take a quality power head over a MS180 anyday. No MS180's going to run like that. The Ryobi is very plasticky though. But the engine is nice.

Everytime i see that video i smile :)
I did the fuel line fix and the carb limiter fix,muffler mod and light porting,all listed in the large thread about it.
it is now one of my main saws,i grab it and hold onto it for a whole tree 14 inches and under..have put lots of tanks of fuel through both of them with no problems at all.

I've owned one since last October. It's a ballsy little saw. I'm very impressed with it. I've run it quite a bit - has quite a bit of use on it. Does a hell of a job with that 14" Carlton bar with non safety chain. :)

But like Brad said, it IS rather plasticy. If you can get past that, it's a great little saw.

:greenchainsaw:

I am not sure you were aware that the Ryobi was half price brand new compared to the Stihl 180 brand new! A Stihl 211 starts at 350€~470$! That kind of casch has to be earned before one can spend it on a spare unit that will be used occasionally.

I have done a search. There just isn't a lot on longterm happiness/disappointment of the saw. Most of the threads are based on short term experience. => My Question on long term experience. But you sound very pleased with yours! So that is quite encouraging.

Well as the others have mentioned it is a great saw if you can live with a few short comings- a little plasticy. Dollar for dollar it has to be one of my best tool purchases.

Well as the others have mentioned it is a great saw if you can live with a few short comings- a little plasticy. Dollar for dollar it has to be one of my best tool purchases.

They dont appear to "me" to be anymore "plasticy" than some of my
huskies,,41/55/350/357/445....AND !! the paint dont fade in a year ! :)

Mom called this morning and asked me to cut up a storm downed maple on the back lawn..just a small one..brought the ryobie and the 357..
well 20 in may be small but a bit much for the ryobie with a 16 in bar..
worked my way down to a full 16 in with it,love that little saw,ported with a MM and squished with a 16 in on it is fun to use and lightweight.
well,fueled up the 357 and bar oil and the chain wouldnt turn ?? guess i got a small leak in the shed as the chain was all rusted together !!
gives me something to do this afternoon i guess :)

you probably will be hard pressed to find any long term experience with the saw since it wasn't on the market that long. if you look at ryobi's site there is no gas powered chainsaw, not much on ebay either
maybe the chinese assembly gave them too many returns?

you probably will be hard pressed to find any long term experience with the saw since it wasn't on the market that long. if you look at ryobi's site there is no gas powered chainsaw, not much on ebay either

Wow ! i just went looking and cant find ANY refurb units anyplace..
so popular all sold out now :(
was going to sell one of mine but think i just changed my mind :)

5 available @ 129.95, shipping included, not like it was last year

You called these people?
http://www.cporyobi.com/products/zrry10532.html

I bought three of them last year, my original refurb with black 18" bar, and then two new ones with cases and 18" yellow bars. Once I get the refurb broken in and some hours on it, I'll figure out what I'm doing with the other two. Let's just say I'm not shipping one to Europe for $210 delivered. MS180s don't come with sawboxes, especially not stackable ones.

If they originally sold at Home Depot for $180, $210 in the land of the $400 MS180 would be a huge bargain. That case is probably worth $50 in 7sleeper's corner of the earth.

BTW, has anybody compared muffler modded to woods ported?
I'm wondering if the vast majority of the gain comes from the muffler.

Last edited:
Ask EricJeepers about his. I ported it and I believe it gets a fair amount of use. He should be able to give you a good idea of how they hold up.

Thanks Brad! Great tip, I'll try to contact him. Thanks for your input.

Sorry that is not quite correct. It has been on the market for a few years. As usual the returns have been shown to be the typical homeowner stupidity (like me :laugh:). The reasons for the returns have been quite elaborately explained here. And that they are not on ebay just shows how happy the users must be that they are not selling them!

You called these people?

I bought three of them last year, my original refurb with black 18" bar, and then two new ones with cases and 18" yellow bars. Once I get the refurb broken in and some hours on it, I'll figure out what I'm doing with the other two. Let's just say I'm not shipping one to Europe for $210 delivered. MS180s don't come with sawboxes, especially not stackable ones.

If they originally sold at Home Depot for $180, $210 in the land of the $400 MS180 would be a huge bargain. That case is probably worth $50 in 7sleeper's corner of the earth.

Hey Tax

Great that you logged in! You are right that 210$ is not a reality shipped. So I believe I will get a new one here for that price. I sure hope they still have them. Anyhow I would never want to pry your cold hands off the handlebar to get my saw. :laugh:

Thanks guys alot you made my decision even more easy!

Last edited:
SNIP

I got mine last year after Brad's first post. I've used it a fair bit and have had the usual complaints. Fuel line/filter doesn't work well for any kind of cutting with the saw on its side, clutch cover rubbed on clutch. Good motor, though, and I'm fine with the plastic. I don't think the fit or flimsiness is worse than other saws, it's just the color and the matte finish. Very reliable and easy to start. I'd recommend it for anyone who is looking for a bargain, is going to be satisfied with a small saw, and has the savvy to work through minor glitches.

Jack

You called these people?

It seems like i would give it 50/50....
muff mod did real nice,,porting exhaust and intake did some more goodness..
i did mine like this...
first saw ran stock,,then muff mod...
second saw ran stock,then muff mod..
then ported first saw..in and out..
compared..
second saw exhaust porting..
compared..
second saw intake porting..
compared..
each step was a definate step up ..
and it's SO easy on these saws !!

Latest posts