Who has the Best Pictures on Arborsite?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was definitely a different place. I miss it, honestly. Folks who actually knew a thing or two about saws, logging, actual arborist work, porting work, sharpening chains, they're almost all gone now. Not a day went by that I didn't learn something. I usually felt pretty out of my league, but it was always interesting.

Now people leave me rep like I'm some kind of expert, when in reality I don't know $hit. On top of that, it seems like most of our newer members are a bunch of retards and homeowner-types, and most of our posts are repeats of the same tired $hit about oil, which $250 saw is the best, how to turn an MS290 into something it was never intended to be, and crap like that. Not as bad as garden web dot com or places like that, but not a hell of a lot better, either.

The bifurcated chainsaw versus hotsaws forum deal was a crap move, too. I don't want to check two forums about saws when they should all be in the same place. So what if some fool has to scroll through a couple pages of good posts to find a discussion about his 55cc Craftsman. Oh well.

I'm not sure if it can ever swing back the other way and get back to the way it was, or if Darin & Co. would even want it to. It looks like the site is finally able to cover its bills with the sponsorships, and that's great. I doubt enough of us bought as many of the AS T-shirts as would be needed to keep the site up and running, anyway.

There are still a handful of folks on here who continually put forth good stuff, and for those of you I haven't rep'd enough lately, well, thanks guys. But for the fools who post the same crap over and over, and who refuse to use the search function (duh, what is semi-chisel chain?!)...you're not helping the quality of the site, that's for sure.

OK, done ranting.

Dude, lighten up.

I think you are a pretty OK guy, but this is a bit over the top. :givebeer:

It was definitely a different place. I miss it, honestly. Folks who actually knew a thing or two about saws, logging, actual arborist work, porting work, sharpening chains, they're almost all gone now. Not a day went by that I didn't learn something. I usually felt pretty out of my league, but it was always interesting.

Now people leave me rep like I'm some kind of expert, when in reality I don't know $hit. On top of that, it seems like most of our newer members are a bunch of retards and homeowner-types, and most of our posts are repeats of the same tired $hit about oil, which $250 saw is the best, how to turn an MS290 into something it was never intended to be, and crap like that. Not as bad as garden web dot com or places like that, but not a hell of a lot better, either.
(cut)

Does "easily entertained" count? I own my house, so that makes me a homeowner, but I can't type,.......I can also fix every single part of the house, even put in the central air. When I came here I didn't know much about saws, but I have solved several saw problems recently, and I feel almost semi-competent at saw maintenance/repair. Thanks to the patient (if exasperated) ministrations of a number of sage sawyers like Lake and Bcorradi, and many others, I actually manage to advise others occasionally.......... Hardly a day goes by that I don't send out a manual or two, with some kind words of encouragement as well.

If I had been called a retard (closer to the mark than I'd let on) at the beginning, I'd have walked away cussing mad. It was hard enough to take the "poser" thing, but hey, I can laugh at myself too. We all have to start somewhere. We are ambassadors of sawdom (NOT sodom),* and we need to be mindful of that. Whether it's a goofy guy from Spain, a newbie who repeatedly asks the same obvious question, or a misanthropic hermit who dispenses wisdom from on high, it's a community, and we reclaim some of our humanity when we take time out of the busy day to help some confused soul discover his inner CADdict!!!:clap: :clap: and get his saw running in the process.

And yes, me make haha many time see funny stuff haha :dizzy: :clap:

*no broom stick jokes in my closet......

Ok this is a serious question.

Is AS, or "arboristsite," a forum for forementioned Arborists (and other Chainsaw professionals) to discuss advanced techniques and solve problematic mechanical issues amongst eachother, or is it a site for novices to learn about stale fuel, chainbar oil, 91VG, and how not to kill themselves?

When I first signed up, with a name like "arboristsite" I presumed that is was for professional users, dealers, techs, loggers etc, with the odd weekend warrior that had a true passion for saws. But its not... however sometimes it does feel good to help out a novice and see them on their way.

But how can the mods, owners, or us, discriminate by not allowing some muppet to ask about "which craftsman do I buy?"

Is there a solution? Is there actually a problem? I dont know.

Me, personally, I would like a site where I can call you a #### and you would laugh and call me one back, all while discussing milling, felling, big saws etc. Cant do it here as its a public place, so its understandable. AS gets the wood issue out of the way for me, so I have to try and swear at the dog.

All interesting stuff. Maybe a "members only area - do not enter if easily offended" area is needed :D

STK

The chainsaw site is also the main social site, because most of the people find it more interesting. Here is a snapshot of a small selection of the numerous headings or sub-blogs, forums, or whatever them computer things are called..... Plenty there for everyone, perhaps a "Home page for the not so easily offended" would be in order, so those craving a putdown can get their fix..........
attachment.php

Is AS, or "arboristsite," a forum for forementioned Arborists (and other Chainsaw professionals) to discuss advanced techniques and solve problematic mechanical issues amongst eachother, or is it a site for novices to learn about stale fuel, chainbar oil, 91VG, and how not to kill themselves?

When I first signed up, with a name like "arboristsite" I presumed that is was for professional users, dealers, techs, loggers etc, with the odd weekend warrior that had a true passion for saws. But its not... however sometimes it does feel good to help out a novice and see them on their way.

But how can the mods, owners, or us, discriminate by not allowing some muppet to ask about "which craftsman do I buy?"

Me, personally, I would like a site where I can call you a #### and you would laugh and call me one back, all while discussing milling, felling, big saws etc. Cant do it here as its a public place, so its understandable. AS gets the wood issue out of the way for me, so I have to try and swear at the dog.

All interesting stuff. Maybe a "members only area - do not enter if easily offended" area is needed :D

STK

#### :cheers:

STK

What about offending the folks the run the site, go ask them to cut you some slack :hmm3grin2orange:

I guess i'm with plantbio on this one, Being a newbie i am a retard too. Everyone has to learn sometime and nobody starts off as a pro. Ive been running saws most of my life, but in no way am i a pro. Just a stupid homeowner looking for a better way to do things. I have learned a lot from you guys since joining. Should it be a forum for just pro's, I don't have that answer. I do like the different characters that are here. Beside you guys ought to feel good about helping us newbies out. We do ask some dumb questions, but we don't know any better. That's why we ask the people who know what to do.

I am a pro and don't own a home

So take it from me, if you weren't a retard when you joined the site you'll be one soon.:bang:

Last edited:
Some questions will get a barrage of different answers, such that it can be a bit hard to decide which answer works for you, especially like when the question pertains to timber falling technique. There are sources of study besides the forum, like books, and by doing your own independent research, supplemented by maybe asking questions here...or wherever, I think that you can come up with the most definitive solutions that work for yourself. Having a main source of information, is a good initial impetus for ascending the learning curve with regular definable steps.:givebeer:

Couldn't have said it better. :cheers:

+1, I was a retard at first also, may not be to far from it now either.:biggrinbounce2:

If one did not have any "saw" fixing skills before joining, here, like other sites, help save a few bucks. It is a great feeling to know you fixed your saw and what it took to diagnose it. Lots of knowledge here to be found, I would like to see some of the new guys search more often.:dizzy:

Stay safe guys/girls.:fart:

So take it from me, if you weren't a retard when you joined the site you'll be one soon.:bang:

LOL!!! Add another retard (myself) to the list...

Some questions will get a barrage of different answers, such that it can be a bit hard to decide which answer works for you, especially like when the question pertains to timber falling technique. There are sources of study besides the forum, like books, and by doing your own independent research, supplemented by maybe asking questions here...or wherever, I think that you can come up with the most definitive solutions that work for yourself. Having a main source of information, is a good initial impetus for ascending the learning curve with regular definable steps.:givebeer:

This is true for ANY forum on the net and AS is very mild compared to some others I frequent.

IMO if you believe everything you read you're a fool. If you can't filter and decipher raw information and decide what's best for yourself you deserve what you get. I'm a big fan of personal responsibility...

Last edited:
This forum is no different for any other forum I go to. Doesn't matter if it's fishing, dirt bikes, hot rods, or chainsaws. There are always gonna be the same personalities here as there are on all the other forums...

There will always be trolls...

There will always be "keyboard cowboys" otherwise known as low-life cowards. They wouldn't say half of the crap they spew if they were right in front of you...

There will always be self proclaimed "experts"... get over yourself...

There will always be "noobs"

There will always be smart a$$es...

There will always be pot-stirrers...

There will always be stupid questions. I do not believe in "the only stupid question, is the question that is not asked." Sorry... just me.

There will always be political morons...

There will always be cheerleaders...

There will always be those that do not use the search function... :censored:

There will always be thread derailers...

There will always be spelling and grammar police...

There will always be the few that think they have to type in some weird font, or all caps, or capitalize every word to be "different"...

There will always be "brand wars"... Don't matter what it is... Stihl vs. Husqvarna, Ford vs. Chevy, Kawasaki vs. Yamaha, Shimano vs. Abu-Garcia, Remington vs. Browning, Canon vs. Nikon... etc...

There will always be good guys...

There will always be bad guys...

There will always be moderators on the forums... good or bad... they're not going anywhere. It's their rules... live by them or leave. How hard is that?

There will always be more thin skinned people than thick skinned people... it's how society sets it up. Too much coddling and such nowadays...

:rolleyes: :popcorn:

Gary

The leaders of the forum who have disappeared have to be replaced by the younger or newer members who enjoyed them so much.

It's that way with everything in life.

Somebody is going to be saying sometime in the future that this forum sure was fun back when GASoline was active. Just as sure as the turning of the Earth.

This forum is no different for any other forum I go to. Doesn't matter if it's fishing, dirt bikes, hot rods, or chainsaws. There are always gonna be the same personalities here as there are on all the other forums...

There will always be trolls...

There will always be "keyboard cowboys" otherwise known as low-life cowards. They wouldn't say half of the crap they spew if they were right in front of you...

There will always be self proclaimed "experts"... get over yourself...

There will always be "noobs"

There will always be smart a$$es...

There will always be pot-stirrers...

There will always be stupid questions. I do not believe in "the only stupid question, is the question that is not asked." Sorry... just me.

There will always be political morons...

There will always be cheerleaders...

There will always be those that do not use the search function... :censored:

There will always be thread derailers...

There will always be spelling and grammar police...

There will always be the few that think they have to type in some weird font, or all caps, or capitalize every word to be "different"...

There will always be "brand wars"... Don't matter what it is... Stihl vs. Husqvarna, Ford vs. Chevy, Kawasaki vs. Yamaha, Shimano vs. Abu-Garcia, Remington vs. Browning, Canon vs. Nikon... etc...

There will always be good guys...

There will always be bad guys...

There will always be moderators on the forums... good or bad... they're not going anywhere. It's their rules... live by them or leave. How hard is that?

There will always be more thin skinned people than thick skinned people... it's how society sets it up. Too much coddling and such nowadays...

:rolleyes: :popcorn:

Gary
great post Gary
Guess I would be a cross breed smart azz pot stirrer. Synthetic 2 stroke oil is great bar oil

Latest posts

Back